RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

Have you had battery or charging warnings?

61 - 73 of 73 Posts
Just to give you an idea, I drive my 2020 EcoDiesel about once every 3 weeks, so my truck sits a lot. Even though it sits, I still don't get a low battery warning. I do put a maintainer/desulfator on the battery once per month for about 3 days.

Discussion starter · #62 ·
Looking through this thread and the one I link below, 23 people have reported some type of battery problem report. 18 are '22s and 5 didn't say. Where specified, all the problems started in November or thereabouts with a firmware update.

It is truly unbelievable that RAM can't figure out which lines in the update caused the problems and revert to the previous version. I wonder what that update was supposed to improve?

@RamCares, can you explain why they don't fix this?

Charging System error message on phone app | RAM 1500 Diesel Forum

I wonder what that update was supposed to improve?
And if you're standing in my shoes, you're wanting to know if the update was to improve something, why didn't they schedule the update for the previous model years? :)

Reactions: SlowRoller
Discussion starter · #65 ·
And if you're standing in my shoes, you're wanting to know if the update was to improve something, why didn't they schedule the update for the previous model years? :)
My guess--there was some little glitch that they introduced in the '22s. They "fixed" that and introduced a way-bigger glitch! Don't you wish your '20 had all the new, improved glitches???

PS You don't have your '15 in your signature line!

Reactions: SlowRoller
Are any folks on this thread having battery issues running a GDE tune? We adjusted the charging algorithms in the GDE tune several months ago and it alleviated this issue on our test vehicles.
I’ve been running the @GDE tune on my ‘22 for a few days now. Haven’t gotten the battery system error once and also haven’t plugged in the battery maintainer once. I’m thinking of taking it off the truck to be honest. Granted, this isn’t long term data, but it’s promising.
I spoke too soon. After running some errands yesterday I got the charging system alert after I parked the truck in the driveway for the night.
I had intended to put a fluke on it this morning before leaving, but I was running late and forgot. So I don’t know the actual state of the battery right now. I’ll pay attention better going forward.

That said. I agree with @SlowRoller, it’s ridiculous

Discussion starter · #68 ·
I spoke too soon. After running some errands yesterday I got the charging system alert after I parked the truck in the driveway for the night.
I had intended to put a fluke on it this morning before leaving, but I was running late and forgot. So I don’t know the actual state of the battery right now. I’ll pay attention better going forward.

That said. I agree with @SlowRoller, it’s ridiculous
You can turn it to the ON position without starting it and set your dash display to see the voltage. I've been seeing about 11.6V, which seems lower than it should be, but no trouble starting it so far. It did measure something like 0.2V higher at the battery, but the EVIC figure gives enough info, I think. I'm assuming my multimeter is accurate, but I don't have a way to calibrate it. I should remember to check it right when I shut it off.

Discussion starter · #70 ·
It's still in the signature line, but you have to click on the side arrow to expand the window to see it.
Thanks. I never noticed that side arrow. On my laptop, I only see the first line of your signature without clicking on that, hence my mistake. On my desktop, I see both of your trucks, but not the third line!

Reactions: biodiesel
Discussion starter · #71 ·
I got an OTA update two days ago that may have fixed it. I was surprised that it seemed to download while the truck was not running. I still haven't driven it much, so I can't be completely sure yet, but at least the voltage before starting was over 12 instead of mid-11s.
Car Automotive design Motor vehicle Vehicle Auto part

So just a little update here. ‘22 Laramie. Currently 38k miles.

Sometime in January, I stopped getting the emailed error messages, and no longer seeing it on the radio either. However, battery voltages after sitting over night were still in the low 12s or High 11s. This was after the dealership replaced the battery in the middle of December. And also GDE tuned since beginning of January.

End of February they replaced the alternator. And now I see 12.5-12.6 volts after the truck sits over night. Same driving habits.
🤷‍♂️

Discussion starter · #73 ·
So just a little update here. ‘22 Laramie. Currently 38k miles.

Sometime in January, I stopped getting the emailed error messages, and no longer seeing it on the radio either. However, battery voltages after sitting over night were still in the low 12s or High 11s. This was after the dealership replaced the battery in the middle of December. And also GDE tuned since beginning of January.

End of February they replaced the alternator. And now I see 12.5-12.6 volts after the truck sits over night. Same driving habits.
🤷‍♂️
That's about the time I stopped getting the on-screen warnings. Voltage after sitting went from 11.5ish to 11.7-11.9. Your experience suggests they should have changed my alternator!

61 - 73 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.