RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the coolant topped off by the dealership on Tuesday, after noticing it was low. Wednesday morning I took a picture of the level. Thursday it was a little bit lower, took a picture. This morning it was lower again.
It has gotten colder out over the past couple of days, so I am wondering how much that would affect the coolant level. I know the level is going to fluctuate under normal circumstances, but this is a downward trend.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
keep your eye on it , not just one kind of behavior with this degas bottle ,
I have personnally added a half inch and a year later it was too high ...
and then way too high , overflowing , so I knew that the truck did not suddenly
turn into a coolant factory , I sucked out the extra coolant but in 20 minutes it
would go super high again , turned out to be a defective coolant bottle cap ,
I replaced it and I am OK now , but I still look at it like a hawk , it's just a matter of when , not if .
it was complicated putting all the extra coolant back in , I needed to buy a succion tool .
All this just to say it can go down a half inch , then come back to normal ,
if it only goes down all the time , a couple possibilities ;
1-EGR cooler failing in a few different ways , sending coolant to different destination.
ALSO:
2a-hard lines under the intake manifold bringing coolant to turbo leaking , coolant evaporating
and later when leak gets more important you see pink waxy residue down on bell housing
and on the ground .
2b-the banjo fitting at the turbo itself can also leak .

Attachments

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had it topped off Tuesday because it was down to where the sharpie mark is. I will keep track of where it goes. I can't see anything leaking.
Thanks for the info Kaz.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
any funny smells ??? fruity /sweet smell at exhaust when running ,
or coolant smell when walking around the front of the truck ??

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The exhaust always smells "wet", but I always attributed that to the DEF fluid. I will have to check that. I don't smell coolant in the engine bay though.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
The exhaust always smells "wet", but I always attributed that to the DEF fluid. I will have to check that. I don't smell coolant in the engine bay though.
you can then eliminate the kind of failure where
cracks allow exhaust gases to bring coolant pressure above 21 psi in degas bottle ,
lifting the cap , which makes the coolant run down the overflow tube ,
originating under the bottle and finishing mid height
of rad on passenger side , that would get engine bay dirty with coolant .

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am going to take a better look at it tomorrow, see if I can find any leaks. It has been raining a lot the past week, so if it is leaking low on the truck, I would be less likely to notice. I didn't smell much of anything in the exhaust this afternoon, not even really exhaust...

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It looks pretty clean to me. Today is warmer than yesterday, and the level is either the same, or a little lower. I am not parked in the same place though, so I can't directly compare.

·
Registered
2017 1500 Tradesman Ecodiesel 4x4 Quad Cab 3.55 Gears
928 Posts
A year ago mine was a tiny bit low, I added enough to put in on the seam. It was about 50 F outside.

Later when the temps dropped into the 20's F I noticed that the level had dropped a tiny bit and held steady.

I came to the same conclusion and decided not to get all worked up about it.

And it's a year later, all is still well.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This was last Tuesday, and why I had the dealership top it off. It may be nothing, but with the EGR leaks out there, I have been keeping an eye on it.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Taking it in to the dealership tomorrow morning. Looking at the engine bay, it looks like there is white residue from coolant evaporating.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
you can add a piece of tubing to the original short hose ,
I addedc one , and a plastic jar under the truck ,
all I have to do is bend down and look in the front of the driver side front tire
and I can see my jar , if I see purple in there I'll know the EGR has started
to push pressure in the degas bottle .
cost me nothing but a couple tie-wraps.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Interesting. I wonder if FCA would consider that a "modification", and deny your warranty. Seems like something they might do.:unsure:

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
in the category of adding a evergreen smelly thing under the mirror in my opinion ,
just a jar to catch the spit from the coolant bottle , changes nothing the way the truck works.
but of course dealers are nuts , wonder what they would come up with as an excuse ???

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
in the category of adding a evergreen smelly thing under the mirror in my opinion ,
just a jar to catch the spit from the coolant bottle , changes nothing the way the truck works.
but of course dealers are nuts , wonder what they would come up with as an excuse ???
That's pretty much where I was going with it. If it leaks from down there, would that cause droplets to go everywhere? Because the white evaporation marks are randomly all over. Most noticibly on the black plastic, but I see them on most flat surfaces this morning.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
can't tell , mostly pink waxy deposits from coolant ,
don't know about your white residue , keep us informed please....

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hmmm. I am not sure either then. Hell, maybe it's soap from the car wash.

Either way, I dropped it off at the dealership this morning. I will find out more when they dig into it. The service advisor said they are still running 2-3 months on replacement EGR coolers...so if that is it, we will see where this goes.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I went in on Friday to grab the hitch off my ED, and they had it in the shop. Stopped in and asked if they had received parts...nope, the technician was checking to see if there were any other issues. Still no part date from FCA. Oh well.

I had to grab the hitch, because I am moving this weekend. Have a nice cargo trailer...no truck.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts