RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
So, 32 days in the shop so far...this visit anyway (39 total). I bought it December 2nd of last year, so now I have officially owned it a full year.
Called the dealer last week and was told that their best guess was still mid-January for parts, but no official word yet. They also had to replace and clean more parts, including the intake manifold.
Still waiting.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Update:
Dealer received the old style EGR cooler, but is still waiting on bushings, seals or studs. The Service Manager said they weren't even able to order them until today, so no status on them.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
FCA called me back today. They were very pleasant, but said their #1 priority was getting my truck repaired and back to me. The CSR made sure I had a loaner vehicle and went over the details.
I told her it would be nice to get the truck back, but it wasn't going to change my mind about pursuing a buyback.
Then she said the buyback review process could be anywhere from two weeks to two months. She said she was going to see about expediting parts etc. Very pleasant, but no real information.

I have already done all the lemon law calculations, so I know where I stand. I also figured out ballpark figures for legal fees and loss of value on the truck's resale.

They would save money dealing with me, but this is officially my third lemon...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Having the same issue with my ED and mine has been at the dealer since Nov.22 and went in to check the status and service adviser showed me a memo form FCA I assume and it said parts weren't going to be available till April 2020.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Having the same issue with my ED and mine has been at the dealer since Nov.22 and went in to check the status and service adviser showed me a memo form FCA I assume and it said parts weren't going to be available till April 2020.
If I were a betting man, I would expect them to get the old style cooler in and replace it with that, just to get you back on the road.
That memo is for the new and improved cooler, but it would cost FCA way too much to let all of those vehicles sit.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
I would not be afraid to run for a year with a "new " old style EGR ,
not a "refurbished " old style EGR , heat fatigue does not happen overnight ,
until the new design comes out , and as always , keep an eye on the degas bottle .
some have had the EGR replacements in the past ( member Roadblock ) and the
warranty part was a refurbished , (as it can be , it is written in FCA warranty paperwork)
and his refurbished EGR cooler failed within a month , crap.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I am not worried if it fails again. It can go up in flames, or go back to the dealership if it fails again. It is the other issues that I have had that make me ready to wash my hands of it.
I am happy my truck falls under lemon law.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Another update...still waiting on parts. As per FCA customer care, the bushings are scheduled to be received on 12/30/19. So, if they fix the truck by COB on the 31st, that will be 64 days out of service.
My buyback is still "in review".

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I got my weekly update from FCA. All parts have arrived, but no technician is available. So, I am still waiting. 67 days and counting. My buyback is still "In Review".

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Called and talked to the service department. They are expecting it to be done on Thursday or Friday. Thursday will be 73 days.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Picked up the truck today. 77 days overall out of service, 70 days for the EGR replacement. Still waiting on the buyback request.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Just an observation, concerning coolant level dropping, the other morning it was -22 F.

And my coolant level shrunk down to the add mark, the seam.

Plug in the block heater, 2-3 hours later, now it's halfway, between the add/full mark. It was "only" 15 f yesterday, without the block heater, the level is just above halfway from add.

I'm going to resist adding any until I see 50 F outside, because I do believe it will just spit itself out when it gets hot. And indeed, when I looked while the engine was hot, coolant was full to the top and above the full line. The day before the New Year, it was 45 F, and my coolant was just below the full mark

Yes indeed the coolant level will rise and fall with ambient temps.

Good luck on your repair, ride on man!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Two days of driving back to work, and the engine bay still smells strongly of coolant. My guess is the system was a little overfilled and it has vented out the excess. And they did have the whole coolant system open for months.
The truck drives just fine, all temperatures are normal.

It has been in the 70s all week, so no cold weather here.

Thanks Sourdo!

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
just want everybody to know there is another kind of failure that gushes coolant out of the
overflow tube of the degas bottle , last summer my bottle cap failed , and coolant kept rising in my degas bottle ,
at least that is what I concluded because after I replaced the cap , drained all coolant and refilled using
a vacuum / venturi device everything is back to normal .
--
I am still not convinced it was not my EGR cooler starting to fail , sending exhaust pressure in coolant section
getting it above the 21Psi of the cap , so I keep a sharp eye on my coolant level , if it does it one more time ,
the stage 2 EGR delete kit is already on the workbencch waiting ...
story ==> Mysterious coolant level going UP...

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
FCA called me this morning. They offered me $3000, but refused a buyback or replacement. I declined the money, as it would have hampered any lemon law claim.
I guess I will be talking to a lawyer here shortly. FCA referred me to the NDCS Dispute Resolution site.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts