RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
And a couple of observations- if you look at it after driving it- it should be around the add mark. Cold, before starting it, it should be near the full line.

the Dexcool they use in these seems to evaporate somewhat. it will be full when new, but be closer to the add line by the first oil change. Usually after topping it off then, it stops disappearing so much. Ford has the same issue with their Dexcool version.

It may be worth trying a new Cap on the bottle.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
No, they did not specify what leak check they did. I know the degas bottle was full when I got back from the dealership, back in February. I looked at it cold the next morning.
I asked the dealership about the this time cap when they said they couldn't find a leak, but they weren't really in an entertaining mood. The SA said it had been checked. The whole system was good to go...

·
Registered
281 Posts
No, they did not specify what leak check they did. I know the degas bottle was full when I got back from the dealership, back in February. I looked at it cold the next morning.
I asked the dealership about the this time cap when they said they couldn't find a leak, but they weren't really in an entertaining mood. The SA said it had been checked. The whole system was good to go...
For perspective, I have a Cummins in the shop now - it went through 2 gallons on the way back from Florida -Normal pressure test - no issue. Left pressure test on overnight. Still at 21 psi, nothing dripping. Did a combustion leak test to see if there was potentially a head gasket issue - nope. Pulled the EGT sensor from the EGR cooler -didn’t steam that clean. So it’s not leaking at the EGR cooler. Checked transmission fluid - it’s clean. Checked oil - it’s also clean.
I’ve run it, and looked to see if it was pushing out of the cap, as well as cutting it off to see if that triggered a leak as it cooled. Nothing. He was pulling roughly a 5000 lb trailer during the trip. He noted issues with the power steering and brakes intermittently.
The ONLY issue I could find, was the drive belt tensioner was loose. And the belt was completely worn out at just 50,000 miles. I suspect that under even a mild added load, and coming through the mountains, it was probably slipping somewhat causing the problems, but I’m not certain.

·
Registered
294 Posts
For perspective, I have a Cummins in the shop now - it went through 2 gallons on the way back from Florida -Normal pressure test - no issue. Left pressure test on overnight. Still at 21 psi, nothing dripping. Did a combustion leak test to see if there was potentially a head gasket issue - nope. Pulled the EGT sensor from the EGR cooler -didn’t steam that clean. So it’s not leaking at the EGR cooler. Checked transmission fluid - it’s clean. Checked oil - it’s also clean.
I’ve run it, and looked to see if it was pushing out of the cap, as well as cutting it off to see if that triggered a leak as it cooled. Nothing. He was pulling roughly a 5000 lb trailer during the trip. He noted issues with the power steering and brakes intermittently.
The ONLY issue I could find, was the drive belt tensioner was loose. And the belt was completely worn out at just 50,000 miles. I suspect that under even a mild added load, and coming through the mountains, it was probably slipping somewhat causing the problems, but I’m not certain.
Great analysis. I hope everyone that needs service/trouble-shooting has a technician as thorough as you.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
That's a lot of coolant, especially with no leaks.

·
Registered
281 Posts
That's a lot of coolant, especially with no leaks.
The issue we at the dealer have, is that customers always seem to think it’s okay to lie, rather than tell us facts. At the end of the day, we don’t really care what you did to it! IF we can get Chrysler to pay for it, we will.
All you do is make our jobs harder, and cost yourself more money.

Same Cummins, same owner, also complained that his horn/door locks keep activating, even when driving down the road. Specifically states it does it, even with the battery out of the FOB.

Lo and behold, it started going crazy when I went to lock it after the test drive. You could shake the remote and it acted stupid and kept going. Pull the remote apart, find the contact for the lock button separated from the rubber Pad, and shorted permanently across the 2 contacts, with nothing but a layer of sticky spilled stuff stopping it from contacting. When you pressed the button, it pushed through the sticky stuff, and would intermittently contact for a period.....

So, did he actually add 2 gallons? Did he have any issues in the recent trip? Or is he mad they didn’t find anything back in December when he brought it in and the last person looked at it?
Simply put, we don’t know.

What I do know, is I pressure tested it hot, cold, and overnight from hot to cold. For my own peace of mind, I checked all other sources for a coolant leak to go, and checked for a head gasket problem.

Instead of a simple 0.6 hour pressure test diagnostic, discounted because of the minimal time involved, with a leak observed, and a sure fix....
I am sitting at around 2 hours, and left making my best guess as to the cause - because I am probably not getting the full and honest story.

Just as easily, it could have been 2 gallons low before he left, and he never checked until he was headed back.... you know what I mean?

Or, because it had work done in December somewhere, and he didn’t get the new part he wanted, he may be shilling for that to be changed, rather than reporting real problems.

It’s also possible he had those specific issues, and what I corrected resolved everything.....

But you can appreciate how much infinitely harder my job is when I am supplied bad information.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I understand your pain. I have worked on aircraft for over 25 years. Pilots and maintainers often leave out any bits that might make them look bad. I have had to troubleshoot plenty of discrepancies because a pilot didn't want to admit he made a mistake.

As far as my truck goes, I really don't know what the issue is. I am a bit anxious as the truck has already had an EGR cooler leak. Reality is there may have been some air that finally worked its way out, after the EGR cooler replacement. Or the cap doesn't seal right. But it passed the 9 day leak check.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Didn't bother reading the previous 47 comments. IMO it only does in frigid climate. In Florida and driving in winters up North it stays within 20* of the pendulum whether 105* heat in Florida or 13* cold on Ohio.

It is the tranny temps that run in the 190s very cold weather vs 170s n summer heat. The 3 way valve and computer regulates that.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts