RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I know most of our higher end rams can't hold much weight and the air suspension will shut off if you exceed its load limit. I'm curious how much y'all have thrown in the back of your truck and had it level it out or at least not gone into protection mode. So share your experiences here. Whats your Max Payload, and how much did you end up putting in it?

·
Registered
33 Posts
This does not count, but its a related experience. I had 50# in the back and attempted to raise to Off Road 1 and I got a message stating the system was unable to achieve desired level due to payload. Exit/Entry failed to work a few minutes later too. I only experienced those flukes once, but only had the truck a week.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info I'm glad it hasn't happened again. Keep us updated on that.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
For what it's worth I read other posts in other forums that people have loaded 2000lbs with no ill effects.
YMMV

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
P90XKirk, if you have links to those threads a that would be awesome

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I agree! I was worried about going at most like a couple hundred pounds over ( like 1000# max kinda thing) 2000# that's nuts!! I feel much better about things hearing that!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm right there with you Chris, when I pick up my truck next week I'll be hauling quite a bit, quite and am afraid of overloading. I don't think I'd be bothered being a 100#s or so over for a a few hundred miles but if I am over weight... 4k is a long way to go on "protection mode"

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Ya that would be... probably not a good idea to do that... there is always that couple times a year where you need a 3/4 ton and try and make your half ton do it.... in the case of my old hemi, the ass end would just sag alot.... i'v been poking around the ram1500 hemi forums and guys seem to be having no problems overloading.... I am reading 1200-1300 pounds and the only issue is you are stuck on normal ride hieght.....

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I'm towing normal ride height is just fine haha.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
If that's the case, I am absolutely down with that! And happy!!!!

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
This does not count, but its a related experience. I had 50# in the back and attempted to raise to Off Road 1 and I got a message stating the system was unable to achieve desired level due to payload. Exit/Entry failed to work a few minutes later too. I only experienced those flukes once, but only had the truck a week.
Really? 50 lbs? I'm glad I went sans air suspension.... I can only imagine what my 800# Polaris 850 xp would do with a deer strapped to the rack.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Ya that would be... probably not a good idea to do that... there is always that couple times a year where you need a 3/4 ton and try and make your half ton do it.... in the case of my old hemi, the ass end would just sag alot.... i'v been poking around the ram1500 hemi forums and guys seem to be having no problems overloading.... I am reading 1200-1300 pounds and the only issue is you are stuck on normal ride hieght.....
That's what a truck is for. I'm going to put air bags in my 1500. I recently filled the bed healing with freshly split oak and it was basically bottomed out on my 5'7" bed. Luckily it was only about 8 miles to drop it off at deer camp.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I've hauled a pallet of retaining wall block weighing in at 1600#. I have a longhorn cc 4x4 long bed with a 200# are cover. The air suspension had no problem rising to the ocassion. With that load plus a trailer laden with an additional 3000#, I drove about 40 miles through some east tn mountain back roads with some gnarly, steep switch backs with no drama.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I've hauled a pallet of retaining wall block weighing in at 1600#. I have a longhorn cc 4x4 long bed with a 200# are cover. The air suspension had no problem rising to the ocassion. With that load plus a trailer laden with an additional 3000#, I drove about 40 miles through some east tn mountain back roads with some gnarly, steep switch backs with no drama.
If I understand what you are saying, you had 1600 + 200 + 300 (10% tongue weight) + you for about 2300 lbs on a Laramie Longhorn (typical payload rating less than 900 lbs) and the air suspension worked? What modes did you try?

·
Registered
730 Posts
If I understand what you are saying, you had 1600 + 200 + 300 (10% tongue weight) + you for about 2300 lbs on a Laramie Longhorn (typical payload rating less than 900 lbs) and the air suspension worked? What modes did you try?

I think it's less to do with mods and more about his lack of standard equipment. Or a system with a little less sensitive sensors to determine overloading.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I think it's less to do with mods and more about his lack of standard equipment. Or a system with a little less sensitive sensors to determine overloading.
No, he said he had a Longhorn which is a heavy trim with a low payload rating even in its base configuration. And a "little less sensitive" does not account for a payload which is far above where other people have reported that the air suspension goes into protection mode. Without an explanation I have to think that either I did not understand boocoodinkydow's post or he is pulling our leg.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts