RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If someone has an EPA compliant tune on their Eco and has the new W58 recall performed (which looks like it will be a software update), how much will it cost to get a replacement tune sent to them? I understand that before getting any software update, owners of the new tune need to reinstall the factory tune. However, I was told that after getting the software update you couldn't just reinstall the GDE tune as it would recognize that what was there wasn't the original factory tune. To get the EPA compliant tune back you would need to upload the "new" factory tune, send it to GDE, have them apply their tune, and return it to you. I'm sure that won't be for free but I have yet to hear how much it will cost. Depending how much GDE will charge for this service it may be worth it to just let the reluctor ring fail and have it replaced through the extended warranty. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'll be in the same boat. Just got my 2015 truck 4 months ago and had the new GDE EPA compliant tune installed. Now hearing about W58 recall that will overwrite it. Hooray.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It should only be $50 as long as FCA does not mess with the TCM software when they change the ECM/PCM software for the crank/cam logic.
In your opinion how important is the crank/cam logic if I've had no problems at 66,500 miles. Does a magnet fall off the flywheel or what is happening with this. So tired of all the band-aid fixes from FCA when the wound is still susceptible to infection underneath. If this part failed with the original GDE Hot Tune would the vehicle just stop in it's tracks like OEM tune without W58 patch? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,623 Posts
Yes, a reluctor ring failure will stop any truck that hasn't had the latest update, tune or not.

I'm at 110k miles with no issue. I think the tone ring failure is rare.

Reactions: chadg2

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yes, a reluctor ring failure will stop any truck that hasn't had the latest update, tune or not.

I'm at 110k miles with no issue. I think the tone ring failure is rare.
Stupid design/stupid sensor location. During design don't they ever think what would happen if that failed on the highway?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts