RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Crawled under the truck and did some checking. Seems I have not been finding clear information on what would be there. Put yours on a rack and look

First thing I saw was a combination catalyst and Diesel Particulate Filter. That "can" is coming down from the engine and where the regeneration takes place. It gets hot close to the engine.

After that there's another "can". That is the Selective Catalyst Reduction chamber. An injector in front of it squirts Diesel Emissions Fluid into another catalyst to make the nitrogen and water byproduct. After this is where the "lying and mis-information I had comes in.

Always was told there is no muffler in the system. Told that with the two emissions "cans" there was no need. Well right after that SCR 2nd "can" is a giant muffler. There are some wired sensors around it but a muffler it is. Wait. There's another muffler after that. I guess it's called a resonator and is located right before the end of the exhaust pipe.

FOUR physical things in the exhaust. system. Maybe five as the first has a catalyst and DPF together in one "can".

That's what I saw. Is that what it is?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Million dollar exhaust!

·
Registered
362 Posts
What is the purpose of the resonator/s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Remember, I order and received the truck before ever seeing it. Never looked. Do remember watching videos on the exhaust emissions. Some stated there was no need for a muffler with all those emission cans.

Been an owner for a few weeks and completely clueless on what I had.

·
Registered
132 Posts
After reading this thread, I kind of wish I was still clueless as to what I ordered. as a guy that has been around heavy equipment most of his life these exhaust systems scare the crap out me.

·
Registered
346 Posts
HOORAY for the EPA!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts