RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
61 - 63 of 63 Posts
I have heard of others having problems with it. The hex just slipped in the plug. I was able to rotate it slightly with a bolt extractor, but no joy. Broke out the left handed drill bits [emoji41].

What I did have issue with that I wasn’t expecting was the coolant lines. Had to loosen the supports to push them out of the way to get the pan in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe there were pans produced by different suppliers causing the drain plug differences?

While removing/installing my pan was just a bit tight, I just had to slide it out/in tipping one end of the pan upward near the lines but I definitely did not have any problem.

These trucks should all be exactly the same?

Maybe there were pans produced by different suppliers causing the drain plug differences?

While removing/installing my pan was just a bit tight, I just had to slide it out/in tipping one end of the pan upward near the lines but I definitely did not have any problem.

These trucks should all be exactly the same?
Very few things that are mass produced are EXACTLY the same. Just depends on how hard you look.

I have heard of others having problems with it. The hex just slipped in the plug. I was able to rotate it slightly with a bolt extractor, but no joy. Broke out the left handed drill bits [emoji41].

What I did have issue with that I wasn’t expecting was the coolant lines. Had to loosen the supports to push them out of the way to get the pan in.

I had that problem with the drain plug and just drilled a hole in the bottom of the pan.

I was able to use a long, thin extension to get around the coolant lines. My torx drive bit for my impact wrench was too wide to use in that area and I had to be careful not to strip the bolts so loosened and removed by hand with a ratchet and a smaller screw driver torx bit and then reinstalled by hand until tight and then broke out the torque wrench. All seems to be fine.

I measured what came out in a bucket and tried to replace that amount. I put the fluid in a bucket and used a $10 hand pump from Amazon to pump fluid back in. I did not have any problem getting the plastic tube into the fill hole. I had to bend it but fluid went in easily and the tube stayed in place. I am concerned that after going to through the fill process and filled it twice that I am still about a half quart less than what came out. It drives great and temps are good but I may jack up the passenger side a bit higher to see if I can get that extra half quart back in there.

61 - 63 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.