RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you, if you even can turn off the automatic areo mode? For example can you just set at whatever height you want and have it stay there untill you decide to change it?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Some information I found.

-The air suspension system provides full time load leveling capability along with the benefit of being able to adjust the vehicle height by the push of a button.

-automatic height changes will occur based on the vehicle speed and the current vehicle hieight. The indicator lamps and EVIC messages will operate the same for automatic changes and user requested changes.

-Description

-Normal Ride Height (NRH) – This is the standard position of the suspension and is meant for normal driving.

-Off-Road 1 (OR1) (Raises the vehicle approximately 1 inch (26mm)) – This position should be the primary position for all off-road driving until Off-Road 2 is needed. A smoother more comfortable ride will result. To enter OR1 press the “UP” button once from the NRH position while the vehicle speed is below 35 PH. When in the OR1 position, if the vehicle speed remains between 40 MPH and 50 MPH for greater than 20 secs, of the vehicle exceeds 50 MPH the vehicle will automatically lower to NRH. Off Road 1 may not be available due to payload, an EVIC message will appear if that is the case.

-Off-Road 2 (OR2) (Rises the vehicle approximately 2 inches(51 mm)) – This position is intended for off-roading use only where maimum ground clearance is required. To enter OR2, press “Up” button twice from the NRH position or once from the OR1 position while vehicle speed is below 20 MPH. While in OR2, if the vehicle speed exceeds 25 MPH, the vehicle will be lowered to OR1. Off Road 2 may not be available due to payload, an EVIC message will appear if that is the case.

-Aero mode (Lowers the vehicle .6 in(15mm))-1500 models only – This position provides improved aerodynamics by lowering the vehicle The vehicle goes into Aero mode when the vehicle speed remains between 62 MPH and 66 MPH for greater than 20 secs, of if the vehicle exceeds 66 MPH. The vehicle will return to NRH from aero mode if the vehicle speed remains between 30 MPH and 35 MPG for greater than 20 secs, of if the vehicle speed falls below 30 MPH.

-Aero Mode can be disable through the EVIC system.

-Entry/Exit mode (Lowers the vehicle approximately 2 in (51 mm)) – This position lowers the vehicle for easier passenger entry and exit as well as lowering the rear of the vehicle for easier loading and unloading of cargo. To enter Entry/Exit mode, press the down button once from the NHR while the vehicle speed is below 33 MPH. Once the vehicle speed goes below 15 MPH, the vehicle will begin to lower. If the vehicle speed remains between 15 MPH and 25 MPH for greater than 60 secs, or the vehicle speed exceeds 25 MPH the Entry/Exit change will be cancelled. To return to Normal Height mode, press the “Up” button once while Entry/Exit or drive the vehicle over 15 MPH. Entry/Exit mode may not be available due to vehicle payload, an EVIC message will appear if that is the case.

·
Registered
54 Posts
What I noticed in a test drive with air suspension was, if you're in off road 1 or 2 and exceed 50 mph ( I think) it returns down to aero mode. I don't think you can hard lock it in any particular mode, that's why I opted not to get air suspension. I like the ride and looks of a 2"-3" higher stock 4wd.

·
Registered
13,677 Posts
You serious? My take is all that gib jab came from some kind of book on the truck with that automatic air suspension. It has great, clear meaning to me.

You get rid of the truck before the basic warranty runs out and ...you have lots of time to sit around waiting rooms at dealers while they keep trying to fix that complicated mess. During those times you can have a tutor inform you of how that thing is supposed to work, get a dealer "free" coffee, watch timewaster TV and chat with an old lady getting her oil changed.

What bothers me is I thought about it. What makes me happy is I didn't get it in spite of not knowing about all that gib jab.

Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The airsuspensions have been around along long time..... i am sure this one will work out in the wash in the end....the features it has such as load leveling are pretty awesome Imo. I gotta find out if there is a "lock" mode....it would seem to me there would be that ability built into the system

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
The airsuspensions have been around along long time..... i am sure this one will work out in the wash in the end....the features it has such as load leveling are pretty awesome Imo. I gotta find out if there is a "lock" mode....it would seem to me there would be that ability built into the system
I think you can turn off aero mode but the two off-road modes are speed limited because they affect handling and safety.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool! How do you do that? Does your laramie have the air suspension?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Air Suspension and cold temps.... as in only -10f can kill it.

When the AS looses it's nitrogen charge it tries to suck in air which has moisture which then freezes and the compressor freaks out, burns up, blows fuse, etc. This kills the suspension meaning you have none.

2013 Ram 1500 Air Suspension problems when -10 or lower - DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Read the link above for starters. Here's one post from it...

"Got some new info.Although the air suspension is a "closed" system,it is designed to draw outside air to bring the vehicle up to the proper height should there be a nitrogen leak in the system.Once outside air gets into the system,moisture will freeze.Compressor runs continuously trying to bring vehicle up to the selected height,resulting in the "air suspension cooling down" warning.After that starts to happen,the 40 amp fuse is the next thing to start going."

Pass

·
Registered
592 Posts
No snow here in more than 100-years so NP. Normally, the winter time temps get no lower than 40-degrees and winter last about three weeks.

:D

·
Registered
37 Posts
No problem here in Lake Havasu City, Az either. Temps get all the way down to the ungodly range of 40* in winter on a bad day. That's why all the snow birds come here from Oct - May. We have a saying here, "Snow Birds- the other white meat", they take over all the bars, restaurants & clubs and by now we are ready for them to go so we can have our town back. :mad:

·
Registered
13,677 Posts
Roadking. I had a friend with a house there. Visited often . Still know Bill Pough that lives there. He's an old flattracker.

Now on the snowbirds - we have a serious epidemic all across Florida each winter. Just at the Moose last night I could not get our chicken wings and beer because the line of snowbirds extended out the door.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Ohhh, you don't use the "S" word around here. It's "Winter Texans".

(faceplant)

·
Registered
177 Posts
I heard someone say at the auto parts store that all of the 1500s with the air suspension option are sidelined and not being shipped until whatever is wrong with it is corrected. Anyone else hear or read this?

·
Registered
177 Posts
OK, don't rub salt in wound. Hopefully your will show up next Monday. Glad to hear someone is getting their truck.... enjoy the ride.

I got a call from my dealer yesterday saying that Chrysler was opening up the bull pen for dealers to send one of their employees to Warren, Michigan to get trucks that were customer paid for orders only. The thing is you still have to pay for the 1,000 some dollars delivery fee that is on your invoice for the standard car hauling delivery. I declined.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The snowbirds will be back here in Alaska shortly so hang in there boys. Right behind em will be all the tourists.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sweet! Very glad to hear that!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hey Captanimal, I hear you loud & clear on the Moose lodge bit. I don't even go to my American Legion Post during snowbird season because you cant get a beer at the bar, lines to the door for dinner. I can't even get close to the bar after work for a beer, they were all drunk watching the Weather channel & betting on who came from the coldest area! What a hoot.:confused:

1 - 20 of 54 Posts