RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was bound to happen. The day would come when I would be let loose by the fateful call form my salesman. That magical moment when he would confirm having laid eye son my new beast, and thus would release the floodgates of plastic, spurring a torrent of cash to flow into the economic veins of this vast and great nation!

It was a day I was hopeful to see, yet cautious of when it arrived.

A day that shall live in infamy at VISA headquarters, knowing internally as the "Day of the Spike". For surely my credit rating took a jump due to the influx of debt created on my account. Surely they could see I was caught up in the throes of consumer ecstasy, binge-buying with pent up energy. Like a sizzling flame which can only be quenched by the tallest of waters, my need to BUY ACCESSORIES FOR MY TRUCK was biblical!

But I'm getting ahead of myself. First we must indulge in some self praise...'cause I know you lot won't give me the credit I so richly deserve. ;)

And why, you might ask, do I deserve such credit? Well, frankly, because I became the rarest of men this past week - he who waits. Yes, behold! Before you stands a man who waited for confirmation his truck had arrived before ordering accessories. ...er...well, sort of...

It went like this...

I wanted fuzzy dice. I'm told that's a "thing" here in the US - buying fuzzy dice for your new whip. WTH, I'm game. I can be as cool as the kids in the park. Amazon...HHHHHHHHHO!

Once those gems (brown to match my interior, no less) were in the cart, I was ready for mats. Husky Liners looked good and they had a full set in Tan...nice! but then it hit me - I hadn't heard form my salesman that the truck was actually in at the dealership, and here I was (yesterday) shopping for items specific to my truck. What if it wasn't in. Worse, what if the interior color was wrong...tan mats don't go with a black interior...

Thus began the 24 Hours du Patience. Or, as I like to think back on it, Rationalization Hell.

The fuzzy dice were a no brainer - bought and ready to go.

I told myself to wait on the floor mats...and I was doing great until this morning. Then Adam phoned from the dealership. He said the truck was through their PDI and we were on track for Saturday - though he admitted he hadn't actually seen the truck at that point.

At that moment, something snapped inside me. My inner 12 year old grabbed the Permission Levers in my brain and yanked on the one labeled "Permission to get stupidly excited about the new truck and spend money like a drunken sailor about to leave port"...you know, that old chestnut. (And my apologize to any drunken sailors (former or current) who may think I'm passing judgment. I'm not...ok, I am, a little bit.)

So, with glee, I might add, I got on the phone with Bak Industries, who assured me that model # 36207 of their Roll-X line will fit my 5'7" box. A quick call to LineX of Kirkland and the order was placed! Should arrive in about 4 days they tell me. "No sir, no deposit needed. We remember you from your last visit and we trust you'll come by for the product."

Given I'm trigger happy at this point in my day, I returned to my old stomping grounds - Amazon Prime. :) Husky floor liners...sure, I'll take a set of those.

Then a quick swing by Vehicle Systems for a set of the tailgate locks. Not "lock the tailgate from theft" but "lock it in a semi-closed position". Had them on my Tacoma and they flat rocked. Must haves in my view.

And so there we go. Blew a grand in about 24 hours...but...and surely my brothers and sisters here will agree with me...this cannot be seen as wanton spending or wasteful frivolity...because these are accessories for my truck!

·
Registered
391 Posts
hahahaha. great read man! i think thats part of the most fun about all of this. never had a new truck before, but i have a whole list of stuff i will be ordering so that it all gets here about the same time as the truck!!

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hahahaha. great read man! i think thats part of the most fun about all of this. never had a new truck before, but i have a whole list of stuff i will be ordering so that it all gets here about the same time as the truck!!
Thanks FP! Forgot to mention the bed mat I ordered on Saturday - think rubber and about a hundred bucks cheaper than RAM's offering through Mopar... ;) Sometimes Amazon is just great. :)

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
There certainly was not only a spike in e-commerce, Gross domestic product and wallets around the world. Undoubtedly, band width spiked like a small, but furious storm on this forum by that most decidedly appropriate but lengthly post. It was oh, so eloquent. Enjoy your care packages, but don't grope the fedex man.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Visa must have had a good week. Did the same thing. I couldn't even get out of the dealer without adding chrome bling to the nose and mud flaps. Orders in for 3D MaxPider mats and Dee Zee tailgate assist.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Ahh! Your a light weight, I went through over three grand ($3,000) in less than eight (8) hours on the day I bought her. My first stop was after picking her up was to get the Roll N Lock and Bed Slide 1000 Go for $2,500 installed and then my second stop was window tint (3M tint 5% on back and sides and 3M 40% Crystalline on the front) for over $500.00. And hadn't even got the tag at that point. Outrageous! Like a drunken sailor, oh well a fool and his money...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Crazy how much we spend on something we just spent so much on in the first place!
How True!
Picked my Eco Dee up Tuesday. Tuesday night I ordered all the usual suspects:
WeatherTech Mats (had them in the challenger and loved them)
Covercraft Custom Sunshield (had one in the challenger and loved it)
Bedextender Sport (I have the short bed and carry dirtbikes and gear)
Coverking Neoprene Custom Seat Covers (Love them, stay cool in the summer and don't get cold in the winter and clean up easy without removal and are fluid resistant)
Dee Zee tailgate assist. I don't know how many times I "dropped" the tailgate on my F-150.

I took the same above mats, sunshade and the dashmat off the challenger when I traded it in and sold them in less than an hour on the challenger forum Wednesday and re-couped 120 bucks for price offset!

I also ordered a ODBII WiFi interface module to use with my ipad/DashCommander app

So now I have all the usual stuff I put in my Truck and can't wait till the stuff shows up. Most will get here today! It's Christmas in June!

I used those Vehicle Systems Tailgate holders on my F-150 and as sportsguy said, they are awesome. Won't help me with the short bed Ram, so that is why I bought the bed extender when I carry the bikes and gear.

I justify the expenditures in my head with the USAA grand cost offset I got on the truck, so I had to do it! ;)

·
Registered
317 Posts
I'm guilty also of the add-on's. In my twisted thinking, if your spending that much on a truck, you might as well get it pimped out just how you want it. In my case i never tell the wife the prices. I Lie, Lie, Lie, and burn the receipts in order to keep a Happy, Happy, Happy house. Same thing with my fishing gear.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Crazy how much we spend on something we just spent so much on in the first place!
I really think I was an idiot getting the Bed Slide, but then I have all of my tools strapped to it and then when my wife and I get groceries or I need to throw something on there, I am so happy I can just slide it out, load, strap it down and slide it back into place. Works great, so far so good.

·
Registered
200 Posts
So that's what that cosmic shift in the balance of economic forces was...I was wondering. Rest easy, folks. All is right in the world.

Bitchin' Floor mats, by the way.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Yes, many thought it was a ripple in The Force...it wasn't. It was a ripple in The Visa and The Credit System... ;)
It was a glorious day during the Great Recession that many thought was the beginning of our way out. The Nasdaq must've been up several hundred points. You tease!

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
By the way SG, have you gotten the tan mats yet? If so, how do they match the interior overall? I have the brown/beige interior as well. I already have black front weather techs from my 13 with the center hump, so I'm debating whether to trim it up to fit and order all black and not match or just sell it and go tan if it matches well. Pictures pretty please??? I'm definitely ordering from RSD if they look as good in yours as I'm hoping.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts