RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
I haven't attempted to open HPT files with any other program. When they first started business, the files were .bin, but I think they had problems with hackers bypassing their licensing scheme, so they migrated to their own .hpt file format.

Pricing is correct, however the interface is useful for a huge number and type of vehicles ( Supported Vehicles List – HPTuners ), so if you ever contemplate tuning any other vehicle, HPT is the way to go. I've used it since 2004, and couldn't be happier, although I'm still using an MPVI1 interface and haven't upgraded to the MPVI2. I borrowed one from a fellow whose Jeep/GMC 5.3 I'm tuning in order to play with the Eco files.
Alright last question(s)... hopefully. Thanks for playing along though.

Can you edit any part of the file or are you strictly limited to what HP Tuners lets you edit? For example, can you make the changes I've shown above without HP Tuners defining the table?

And it works with android/ios right? so you could have your different tunes loaded on your phone and just load them that way?

·
Registered
5 Posts
You can only edit what HP Tuners has defined. Support is new and more tables will probably be defined. You can only log using the app, but it also does standalone logging (edit: standalone logging looks like it requires the MPVI2 Pro) . A laptop is necessary to write tunes (edit: looks like tunes may be loaded into the MPVI2 so that no laptop is necessary, but I've never tried and that feature may not even be released yet). There is FAQ page on their forum with better info.

·
Registered
385 Posts
With the latest beta software released a few days ago, you can see more and access more. I was able to pull my SFT stage 2 tune without issues. I don't have my GDE tune available anymore to compare it against, but I have other tunes, including some stock files. You can see many tables have been changed, boost is higher, etc. I haven't dug into it enough yet as I haven't had time. Plan on doing more of that. I will most likely be purchasing the credits for my truck to see what else it gives me. But for right now, I can edit the DTCs and flash back to the truck without the credits, so I assume I can modify many ECM's to work with my deleted truck with just that. However, I would like to dig more into this and find out how far you can go. To me, it looks like I could perform a basic tune on my ecodiesel from scratch with whats available.

·
Administrator
8,657 Posts
It is because HP Tuners will not give access to the tables necessary to defeat the EGR because they don't want the EPA coming after them. Unplugging it and disabling the DTCs that would pop up is an easy workaround.

The $499 sounds right ($200 for 4 credits + $300 for MPVI Standard device). I had the first gen and upgraded to the MPVI2 for a reduced price. You would only need the MPVI Standard to accomplish what is necessary.

I can't fully answer the encryption/ WinOLS question, but there is a rarely used feature to lock the tune being written using HP Tuners, usually by a business who doesn't want anybody else making changes to their tune. I would imagine if you can read a stock tune using a 3rd party device, then you can read an HP Tuners tune with that same device.
I thought unplugging it didn't accomplish much???

·
Registered
385 Posts
I thought unplugging it didn't accomplish much???
If you've followed the thread on tuning the 2020, you can unplug the EGR while off and the valve stays closed. With gen 2s when you unplugged them it would throw a code and your truck would go into limp mode. What we can do with hptuners, which is very easy to do, is disable the cel so you won't get any lights or go into limp mode. It's essentially the same thing tuners have done for years with egr's and cats.

Now I'm not satisfied with simply unplugging it and leaving the stock tune on their. So I'm going to keep working with hptuners to get more items available to allow me to custom tune my ecodiesel like I did with my WRX years ago. I have no intentions of tuning for others but I'll share what I learn as I go through the steps.

Will it be as good as GDE? Most likely not. But a custom tune done by me with my own truck over the course of several months will turn into something perfect for me. At least that is how I'm approaching it :)

·
Registered
302 Posts
Will it be as good as GDE? Most likely not. But a custom tune done by me with my own truck over the course of several months will turn into something perfect for me. At least that is how I'm approaching it :)
be prepared to go down the rabbit hole :)
I spent countless hours reading, learning, and tweaking when tuning my Challenger after the engine swap.
It may be less cumbersome since you will be working with a stock vehicle, less parameters to change and less math.
If you are able to get a read from a GDE tuned vehicle you should be able to use that as a starting point.
I would expect one to show up on the hptuner forum repository eventually.

·
Registered
5 Posts
be prepared to go down the rabbit hole :)
I spent countless hours reading, learning, and tweaking when tuning my Challenger after the engine swap.
It may be less cumbersome since you will be working with a stock vehicle, less parameters to change and less math.
If you are able to get a read from a GDE tuned vehicle you should be able to use that as a starting point.
I would expect one to show up on the hptuner forum repository eventually.
I have posted a tune for a 2015 Ram 3.55 gearing that is as close as you can get with HPT tables to the GDE calibrations on the HP Tuners forum. It made the truck very similar to my GDE tuned Jeep. However, it holds on to gears too much for my liking on any sort of hill at highway speeds. Think downshifting to 7th 2000 RPM when 1600 RPM in 8th is all that is needed. Some tweaking of the driver demanded torque vs pedal positions table or another $200 to license the transmission is the first place I would look to clean it up.

·
Registered
186 Posts
So just for comparison's sake: According to WinOLS, there are 44,000 individual value changes between a GDE tune and a matching original. 16-bit, decimal view

This includes checksums and raw changes to DTC's. Not sure if HP Tuner's software will give you a similar comparison, but it would interesting to see.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
If you've followed the thread on tuning the 2020, you can unplug the EGR while off and the valve stays closed. With gen 2s when you unplugged them it would throw a code and your truck would go into limp mode. What we can do with hptuners, which is very easy to do, is disable the cel so you won't get any lights or go into limp mode. It's essentially the same thing tuners have done for years with egr's and cats.

My understanding of GDE's approach to disabling the EGR, they did much more than just disabling the trouble code. Merely disabling the trouble code would cause a truck to fail if it were ever smogged via the OBD port. It would show the EGR as not ready. GDE was able to turn off the EGR and have it still show as ready.

I think you have a pretty good understanding of this as you kind of eluded to it. Just posting it for others and for argument's sake.

Much of this tuning is over my head, so I appreciate you all diving into this and posting your observations.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My understanding of GDE's approach to disabling the EGR, they did much more than just disabling the trouble code. Merely disabling the trouble code would cause a truck to fail if it were ever smogged via the OBD port. It would show the EGR as not ready. GDE was able to turn off the EGR and have it still show as ready.

I think you have a pretty good understanding of this as you kind of eluded to it. Just posting it for others and for argument's sake.

Much of this tuning is over my head, so I appreciate you all diving into this and posting your observations.
You are absolutely right about that. HP Tuners could, but won't give us that ability because they don't want the EPA coming down on them as they did GDE and others.

The consolation prize is that with HP Tuners you can re-enable the function easily if needed. In Texas, there is no OBD inspection for diesels, just a safety check. This is why I would offer the use of my HP Tuners tool to tune somebody else's truck.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Has anyone been able to successfully 'backup' their current GDE tune?
My main reason for upgrading to the MPVI2 would be to re-load the GDE tune if the dealer does a flash update and overwrites it.
As I now may need to visit the dealer to replace a missing key fob, this is of particular interest to me.

·
Registered
302 Posts
If anyone on here has successfully backed up or restored any aftermarket tune using HPtuners or another handheld I'd be very appreciative if you would share.
I would like to be able to restore the current GDE tune i have if the dealer overwrites it.
There is no ECM recall or update for my vehicle, but I would like to have a backup just in case.

·
Registered
385 Posts
If anyone on here has successfully backed up or restored any aftermarket tune using HPtuners or another handheld I'd be very appreciative if you would share.
I would like to be able to restore the current GDE tune i have if the dealer overwrites it.
There is no ECM recall or update for my vehicle, but I would like to have a backup just in case.
I have pulled 2 separate tunes off my truck now and have been able to swap between them without issues so far.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I broke down and picked up an MVPI2 over the weekend. I don't recall seeing any one mentioning that VCM has to write a "patch" before it can read. I'm not the only one it does this with right?

Also, has anyone with a 2016+ model year tried using it yet? I've tried 3 different ECM software versions and the only one that applied the patch right was 2015MY software. I'm assuming it is something to do with the software version not being in HP Tuners database. Does anyone know the process to get SW versions added to the database?

I'm pleased with the transmission tuning piece. Still debating if I want to purchase more credits for the ECM write capabilities; I'm sure I'll break down though.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I broke down and picked up an MVPI2 over the weekend. I don't recall seeing any one mentioning that VCM has to write a "patch" before it can read. I'm not the only one it does this with right?

Also, has anyone with a 2016+ model year tried using it yet? I've tried 3 different ECM software versions and the only one that applied the patch right was 2015MY software. I'm assuming it is something to do with the software version not being in HP Tuners database. Does anyone know the process to get SW versions added to the database?

I'm pleased with the transmission tuning piece. Still debating if I want to purchase more credits for the ECM write capabilities; I'm sure I'll break down though.
MY 2014 had to do a patch as well. I'm not 100% sure why.

I've only worked on the ECM stuff with my ecodiesel. I have 4 tunes now, 2 I have customized myself. I am testing them while towing to see if I can make a tune that is perfect for me when towing. Still have a little ways to go, but I'm happy with what I have right now.

I haven't dug into the transmission side yet, but need to. There are a few things on my SFT TCM tune that bug me when towing I want to see if I can fix.

·
Registered
186 Posts
MY 2014 had to do a patch as well. I'm not 100% sure why.
Everything it does is before the map blocks, but not in the service block. Adds a copyright in one place. Also changes the software version for some reason. The one that worked went from "559063" to "558987", which does not match any "real" SW version i have seen yet.

Since it is in-fact reading the full FLASH, one has to assume they are disabling TPROT. I tried hookup up another tool afterwards to see if it could read from OBD, but it didn't work.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts