RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
I would be careful lowering your hitch as you want to maintain so much bed clearance. I have about 7" of clearance but I also do some extreme camping. I think 5" is a reasonable amount. I also flipped the axles on my 5er to get a better level rig as my trailer also sat like yours originally. It also dragged going into some of the areas we go.
Oh there is plenty of clearance of the bottom or the 5th wheel nose to rails, it is the brackets the pin box is mounted too that is the issue
What about those low rider, rubber band tires? I see lots of them around here on lower trucks. Think it is a Mexican thing but you are closer than I am.

You could also get 10-12" inch rims and tires. Just don't run over dead things on the road unless you want to grind up some road sausage.
And I was thinking about slightly bigger tires for the truck too!

This is one of those deals like "Who's on first, What's on second, and I don't knows on third"

At least you were not too low and smashed the bed rails of the truck. No tight turns to take out the back of the cab and the back window.

5th wheel trailers are a selective breed. They select the right tow vehicle from a lot of factors that could be real negative issues. You can solve them but for now, park it and enjoy.

At least you were not too low and smashed the bed rails of the truck. No tight turns to take out the back of the cab and the back window.

5th wheel trailers are a selective breed. They select the right tow vehicle from a lot of factors that could be real negative issues. You can solve them but for now, park it and enjoy.
Yup I did that which is why I wanted to point it out. It sucks to smoosh the bed rails. Granted we do extreme crownland camping here in Alberta. Most wouldn't even tempt where we go. I'm actually close to 8" of bed clearance now and even in the tightest spots I clear.

I would still be worried about rear axle on trailer. Sitting so nose high must be putting more weight on trailer rear axle over the first axle. CAT scale would confirm.

Flipping axles on trailer is pretty straight forward process and would give a good 6" lift on trailer. I've done it on all three 5ers I've ever owned with no issues. Might increase wind resistance but its worth it for a more level pull.

Discussion starter · #26 ·
I would still be worried about rear axle on trailer. Sitting so nose high must be putting more weight on trailer rear axle over the first axle. CAT scale would confirm.

Flipping axles on trailer is pretty straight forward process and would give a good 6" lift on trailer. I've done it on all three 5ers I've ever owned with no issues. Might increase wind resistance but its worth it for a more level pull.
they are flipped already, risers is the next step.

Not trying to be a smart a$$, BUT how high is your trailer to the top of the A/C? Stating the obvious - raising the bottom of the trailer will raise the top the same amount.

Discussion starter · #28 ·
Not trying to be a smart a$$, BUT how high is your trailer to the top of the A/C? Stating the obvious - raising the bottom of the trailer will raise the top the same amount.
high enough I need to place a placard on my dash to remind me, in feet and meters.

I've seen a couple of AC,s ripped off the top of rigs.

Just returned from a blood letting at the doctors' office. Secretary there is an old (younger than me) lady. She told me she sometimes forgets why she walked from one side of her 32 ft. trailer to the other. My take is she lives there.

You are doing the same as she is and another friend that just stopped by. The point??? They don't go anywhere with their trailer. How high things are would depend on how much whisky you drink. I say get high and enjoy the world we live in. If you want to move around with your home, then that is something more to add to you list of things to consider.

I say nuts to all this trailer preparation stuff if you go nowhere. If you want to go somewhere try this place I visited in Austria on motorcycle. Can't give you the name but it does rhyme with fun.

Discussion starter · #30 ·
Just returned from a blood letting at the doctors' office. Secretary there is an old (younger than me) lady. She told me she sometimes forgets why she walked from one side of her 32 ft. trailer to the other. My take is she lives there.

You are doing the same as she is and another friend that just stopped by. The point??? They don't go anywhere with their trailer. How high things are would depend on how much whisky you drink. I say get high and enjoy the world we live in. If you want to move around with your home, then that is something more to add to you list of things to consider.

I say nuts to all this trailer preparation stuff if you go nowhere. If you want to go somewhere try this place I visited in Austria on motorcycle. Can't give you the name but it does rhyme with fun.
Do you have any idea how hot it gets here in summer?

So hot it's unlivable. And why this park is closed from May to October. 120 F in an RV would be unworkable.

Oh my - forgot about that fact.

You have to move. Even if it is moved with the relationship it now has with your truck, it can move. One good thing is you have time to maybe figure it all out.

Discussion starter · #32 ·
Oh my - forgot about that fact.

You have to move. Even if it is moved with the relationship it now has with your truck, it can move. One good thing is you have time to maybe figure it all out.
maybe if I let some air out of the air springs?

I forgot I had filled the bags up to 50 psi for that picture, as they were new I wanted to test for leaks, all good. But it had my rear end jacked up pretty high.

There are a half dozen people that live here full time. Not for me. In the mid 1970's I was working down here, it was just too hot to work on roofs! At 117 F, I quit and went somewhere else.

I was going to suggest letting air out of the tires!!!

• Haha
Reactions: sourdo
By Spring there is the feeling of spring in the air. What you want is less air in the spring. So spring into action and do a test to see if the spring can be sprung.

I forgot I had filled the bags up to 50 psi for that picture, as they were new I wanted to test for leaks, all good. But it had my rear end jacked up pretty high.

There are a half dozen people that live here full time. Not for me. In the mid 1970's I was working down here, it was just too hot to work on roofs! At 117 F, I quit and went somewhere else.
Hi: sourdo... I wouldn't want to "Deflate" your I go, but might suggest your spring has sprung!!!
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

You sure got out of Alaska at a good time. Was looking at Fairbanks this morning. The HIGH temperature was -34*.

Life is easy when you're smart.

One thing To remember is DARK.

There is near no daylight this time of year. Those snowfalls and hideous negative temperatures are a near all-night occurrence. Especially when these posts are going on. Having a few feet of snow is not good in Buffalo but at least there is daylight to see things. When it is dark most of the day??? it is even worse.

Not for me.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.