RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

I bought the lemon of all lemons you are welcome

4K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  slydogd@hotmail.com 
#1 ·
Would like to start by saying your welcome to all the success stories i read on here. I have taken the black cloud from all of you so that you could drive all of those happy worry free miles. I know what many of you will say is that i should have gotten the GDE tune However when motor 1 blew before 10,000 miles i was hesitant to do anything to void my warranty. but i Thought hey probably would still do it once i had some extra cash to go in that direction. Then motor 2 died on me and there went all the dreams of doing that. well anyway i have complained about that before on here and what i really want to talk about is my new upcoming problem. So i was driving 500 miles towing trailer. truck goes into limp mode. Def system is not working. drive home take it to dealer. jumping the starter relay to get it started again. Have the recalls done so warranty will kick in. its been a week no word from FCA on the go ahead, there are 3 other Ecodiesels all at this same dealership waiting for the green light from FCA. How many out there are all having the same issues with Def system failure and going into limp mode. Just amazing the timing of this all. to be exactly the same time the recalls and warranty go into effect. Dealer says i have 2 bad lines and an injector. I click my heels together and just keep saying only 18 months left and i will be payment free. I dreamt of having a diesel to go 300,000 miles and going with no payments for 5 to 10 years. Damn FCA crushed my dreams. Taking this baby to the end of the power train warranty and i am running to an HD Gasser. :cool:

See less See more
#3 ·
This is my bussiness truck and has really caused me so much hassle. do you think the dealer would be upset if i used the loaner vehicle to do a dump run. just to give you an idea of the trash i am running i have a dog daycare and usually have 3 to 5 hundred pounds of dog poop weekly. so much so that my previous garbage service cancelled me for it. I bet if i did that people would move along faster.

#4 ·
Boy oh boy you sure have a real "stinker" for an Ecodiesel. Sure understand it's been a load of crap you should dump.

Now seriously that's a mess. Glad FCA did step up and give you a new motor TWICE. You have the luck of poo. Guess you are familiar with that.

Since it seems you need to keep that loser for a while, get the DEF stuff fixed and go get GDE. That shouldl eliminate the DEF issue. Then with your crappy luck, you might have to deal with the sooting mess of a working EGR. Again my suggestion is applicable as it also shuts off that mess. Your problems are epidemic to stock diesel operation today. Doesn't matter what brand you get. All of them suffer from emissions equipment failure. There is really only one solution. Delete or tune the stuff off.

Wait. That's TWO solutions.

#5 ·
My DEF system threw a code and I deleted it with my GDE tune. That is the only fault so far in almost 45,000 miles. My brother has had similar problems with his F250 Powerstroke, though his motor has never failed. If my Ecodiesel failed, don't know what I'd do. Had a motor fail in a new Tacoma, ended up buying a hemi Ram that was freaking bulletproof. As Bill Clinton used to say: I feel your pain.

#6 ·
My truck threw a DEF code on the way home from the dealer installing the AEM. Installed the GDE tuned ECM and magically it disappeared, and hasn't come back.

I think the dealers replace too many hard parts when it's often times just an overly sensitive tune causing the issues. This will continue to be the case as long as EPA pulls the strings.

Reactions: sourdo
#8 ·
I had a 2014 Longhorn Eco... Engine took a crap at 62k. Took 3.5 weeks to get a new one.. At 7xk started getting check engine lights all the time. At 82k engine turned itself off, dealer said need new engine.. two week later dealer said need new CPU due to emissions gone bad and you have to pay as emissions war expired at 80k, at 86k started getting check engine lights all the time again, needed new EGR and other things... Did AEM paperwork at 92k... checked mailed at 93.4k... traded pice of crap in on a 2019 GAS Limited... Never again will I buy an Eco..

#9 ·
Another one bites the dust. Here i go again Motor number 3 down for the count. these new diesels suck big time. they are not worth the headache. just 200 ft from my house and motor blew up( at least it was easy to empty it out). Lost all oil pressure and was smoking like a bastard. only took FCA 11 hours to get a tow truck out. I told the dealership to charge my battery when it arrived having the 4 ways on all night it had nothing left come morning. i was nervous it would get hit as i live off a main highway. Surprise the dealer calls me 2 weeks later and says i need a new battery for the crazy price of 265. So we fought a little there. then they fought me on the warranty claim. said my oil changes were over the interval. we fought on that till they realized this was a diesel and not a gas motor. They changed my oil is the sad part. they have all the records for it. Then this joke of a dealer calls me today and says good news put a used battery in there and it started up so should be good to go all you needed was a battery. I then told them to drive it. no call back so i called my case manager and good news a new motor on the way.This last motor only made it 26,000 miles. have 71,000 total and 3 motors have died. should have number 4 in there soon. anyone want to trade me a 2500 with a gasser.

#13 ·
The two significant common factors here are you and the dealer. Even if you were a lead-footed maniac it is hard to imagine any level of abuse that would kill a new motor in less than 30k miles. That leaves the dealer. When that second motor got replaced FCA should have been questioning and investigating the dealer. This all presumes that FCA was using brand new crate motors, not rebuilt. With rebuilds, the rebuilder might be another common factor.

Good luck. Might want to consider an exorcism on the next new motor... just in case.

#14 ·
It has been 28 days and the dealer still has my truck. they are so clueless down there it is unreal. Looking to get a buyback on the young clunker. Good thing we have that buyback clause in the emissions scandal. they have had the truck for 56 days this year. this truck is falling apart.....I see lots more nightmares showing up on the forum. sorry for the troubles everyone else is having but so glad im not alone. Buybacks for everyone. Remember 4 visits within 18 months of emissions recall or 30 days in the shop non consecutively.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.