RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Link to Author's page showing books

Paperback books are available too. Amazon.com: scott gress

A year ago I went back to the misadventure stories that I'd written back in the '90's, back when I was more young and more stupid. They were rougher then I thought. For the last year I've been writing furiously polishing them up. The two published stories are the big ones. I've not yet decided what to do with all the smaller misadventure stories.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Congrats! I admit that I'm slightly intimidated by the titles, lol. But one is on Kindle unlimited so I may get to it.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yah, the tagline on the Desert Shield book is a little coarse. It comes from a scene about 1/3rd of the way into the book where another LT was berating me for what he called sexual harassment. I felt strongly that the incident could be more accurately labeled "fucking saving someone's fucking life from your idiot fucking soldier." <big grin>

Wife wants to give a copy of the books to her father, a gentle retired professor. I think I may have to do a "family" version of that book. My in-laws have always been very kind to me. I'd be mortified for them to learn of my old Infantry LT "Mr. Hyde."

·
Super Moderator
3,132 Posts
Congratulations soldier. Interesting read on your link. I subscribe to Audible buy and download books and listen to them while on the road. Have you considered reading & telling your story audibly? Having known you through the forum and being of subjects I'm interested I would get all three and listen to them. Betting you have experienced first hand the truth of the old saying there are no atheists in fox holes.

Edit lol well if you have been good to his daughter then just remember the "gentle retired professor" you know was young once too and he knows the book was not written for him as the audience.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've long been addicted to audiobooks, so I'm considering trying that out. Audible.com, an Amazon company, strongly recommends that the author links up with a professional narrator/producer. That guy gets 50%. Certainly there's awesome narrators, but George Guidall is unlikely to want to link up with no-account me. For me, these books are highly emotional--huge swings of bewilderment, rage, terror, hilarity, and extremes of tenacity. I'd have to find some narrator that could really bring them to life. Most narrators seem to me to be kinda vocally dull and lifeless.

·
Super Moderator
3,132 Posts
Many people buy the author as much as the book title. Generally I would rather here from the author themselves honestly for the reasons you just described as nobody can tell your story with more passion than you. Others who can't won't tell their own story audibly recorded have had success with their wife telling the story for them. Because she probably knows much of it better than anyone else and may have a voice and speech that is more conducive to listen to. Save some coin and a project to work on together as well. You can still get professional assistance in creating this without needing George & company's input or involvement.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Personally, lol, what "I hear" when I speak, day to day, sounds like a rich, deep, James Earl Jones sort of voice. But somehow, to my very great horror, on the rare occasion when I hear an actual recording of me speaking, I sound like a nasally little shit.

·
Super Moderator
3,132 Posts
LOL As long as its a tenacious & determined nasally little shit that you hear its all good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts