RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Mine runs fine, except 20% worse fuel economy and worse shifting. Have you had a chance to see how the mpg's stack up against your original tune?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Lucky Dog is one of the LUCKY ONE'S.....go figure. Maybe I'll change my forum name to LUCKY Ram 1. :rolleyes:

Getting mine done next week.....:eek:

·
Registered
789 Posts
Lucky Dog, mine ran fine out of the dealer. I even posted just like you did, but the next morning when cold the true impact of the recall was realized. I hope you're really "lucky" ;)

·
Registered
202 Posts
No you are not!! There are plenty of us out there. Just picked mine up 2 hours ago. Truck runs way better, accelerates way better, very happy

·
Registered
789 Posts
No you are not!! There are plenty of us out there. Just picked mine up 2 hours ago. Truck runs way better, accelerates way better, very happy
Everyone's truck, including mine, runs well when they pick it up because the engine is hot from the update. If you're one of the folks who do not have a problem you wont know until tomorrow morning when it's cold. Also, if you drive on the flat and level roads even with the lag it will be less noticeable. But try to pull out into traffic or go up an incline when it's cold....or tow a 7K trailer....that will be the test.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Everyone's truck, including mine, runs well when they pick it up because the engine is hot from the update. If you're one of the folks who do not have a problem you wont know until tomorrow morning when it's cold. Also, if you drive on the flat and level roads even with the lag it will be less noticeable. But try to pull out into traffic or go up an incline when it's cold....or tow a 7K trailer....that will be the test.

I've had mine back for a month or more. I just today towed an enclosed trailer, just a small one, 6'x10', full height. I towed it fully loaded for about 45 miles this morning at 55mph (the speed limit), then unloaded it and drove it unloaded for another 25miles, then put a 42" riding mower into it and towed it another 30 miles. I had no issues and have had none since I had the AEM done. My mileage is the same as it was before.

·
Registered
789 Posts
John, of course your's is a 16 and mine's a 15 so who knows.

I asked this of the forum a few weeks ago and got no answers but have you serviced the MAP sensor? I speculate that it's possible that a carbon'ed up MAP might exacerbate the lag. I just haven't had the time to clean mine yet.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
John, of course your's is a 16 and mine's a 15 so who knows.

I asked this of the forum a few weeks ago and got no answers but have you serviced the MAP sensor? I speculate that it's possible that a carbon'ed up MAP might exacerbate the lag. I just haven't had the time to clean mine yet.
I will say that my MAP sensor was cleaned at about 65,000 miles for the first time and I had the AEM done at about 78,000 miles and I am happy with it. I do notice a cold lag on downshift from 3 to 2 but it did that before too. No real difference in the lag for me.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I quit servicing my own vehicles many years ago when I started working for myself ... no time, no desire. I can say with certainty that mine has not been service as the dealer has never had it apart.

cheers

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After work, the truck was cold, it had sat for 6 hours. It still ran fine. Shifting is a little different, it seemed to hang on to 7th longer.
Mileage was hard to tell, it has been so long since stock, I couldn't remember what my mileage used to be. It is down a bit from when it had the green condition.
I suspect if it was less mph than stock, it wasn't much.

Fingers crossed for the future few days till I can get green again. :)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Well this is tomorrow afternoon, truck runs great, better than before the AEM. Just filled it up 20 miles ago. So far the evic is showing 24+MPG getting home. That has been typical in the past. Tomorrow I have a 200 mile drive. I expect I will see 28 MPG or close by the time I get home in the evening. I also do this run once a month. Can't help with the trailer as I don't have one.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I will say that my MAP sensor was cleaned at about 65,000 miles for the first time and I had the AEM done at about 78,000 miles and I am happy with it. I do notice a cold lag on downshift from 3 to 2 but it did that before too. No real difference in the lag for me.
I ran the AEM tune for over a month before switching back to the GDE tuned ECM. One could hardly tell any difference cold or warm. I knew I was going back to GDE so didn't look at mileage very closely. My mileage was already disappointing on the stock tune before the AEM, so it was hard to care one way or the other. Definitely no horror story, though, as it ran fine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mine's a '15, GDE tune. Checked mileage on about a 15 mile stretch on the way to get the update, 25.9 mpg. Pickup seemed to run fine afterward, except I noticed it slow to shift into high, then same 15 mile stretch next day, same conditions, 21.7 mpg. Can't wait to get my GDE back!

·
Registered
680 Posts
Mine's a '15, GDE tune. Checked mileage on about a 15 mile stretch on the way to get the update, 25.9 mpg. Pickup seemed to run fine afterward, except I noticed it slow to shift into high, then same 15 mile stretch next day, same conditions, 21.7 mpg. Can't wait to get my GDE back!
You can't check mileage over 15 miles. You won't have used enough fuel to bother filling and doing the calc's.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Have a 2016 with 26k miles. My ran fine too. First day it felt sluggish but after a few days it settled in. Mileage going 181 miles was 27.4

·
Registered
74 Posts
My stock 16 goes in Monday. Standby. Hope for lucky.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts