RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who will be the brave soul who will try it?

AmazonBasics Full Synthetic Motor Oil - 5W-40 - Euro Formula - 1 Quart - 6 Pack $28.49

Amazon Prime said:
Full-synthetic motor oil (5W-40, 1 quart, 6 pack); improved fuel economy when compared to 15W-40 engine oils

Extended drain capable; superior high and low temperature protection including cold-weather startups

Helps prevent build up that can cause rust and corrosion; high resistance to viscosity and thermal breakdown

Helps to fight volatility burn-off to minimize engine deposits and exhaust emissions

CK-4/SN approved; always follow vehicle manual recommendations

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
Wonder what it is? Im sure it is just a big name brand put in a different bottle with a different label. Appears to be about the same price as rotella, with the rebate rotella can be less. I don't guess rotella is the be all end all and not the best but it is plenty good enough, recommended by the manufacturer for what ever reason, and it has got to be about the most widely available of the choices I have seen, think im going to stick with it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It's Warren, known for making many different house-labeled brands. If there is a SuperTech (Walmart) Euro-Spec 5w40, I'd be surprised if the VOA wasn't a match.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Is there a diesel approved product? That particular 5w-40 read for gasoline engines; how effective would that be at suspending soot?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
IMO...NO...It is a gas and light duty diesel oil however...old world diesel and/or smaller marine Yanmar or something like that.

ACEA A3/B4 does not meet our low SAP, nor the needed Euro Specs of ACEA E9, E7, E4, E2.

Translation - It's only a MB 229.3 whereas we need the MB 229.51

Probably fine for a 7.3 or 5.9...my guess...I'll always choose Branded for OTR diesel...

·
Registered
614 Posts
I'm going in tomorrow morning for my 25,000 mile change. 10,000 miles on the oil. So far the Rotella T6 numbers look great in the oil reports. The only other oil that I'd try would be Amzoil.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I don't know about this oil but apparently this is Amazon's future. They plan to sell Amazon branded products much like Costco sells their Kirkland brand.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I would keep looking. FCA allows a CES 20081/86 40 weight oil in the 3.0. Oils that meet that spec are as plentiful as rubby's wandering the downtown core. And the oils are as cheap too.

Buy by the 18.9 or 20L pail for even cheaper prices. Buy a pail pump to make it even easier.

Edit: CES20086 oils can be SN rated as well, so don't worry too much about having an API oil that is gas/diesel rated. Its in the Ford 6.7 Powerstroke that they have a fit about CK4/SN oils as something to do with phosphorus levels.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts