RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at oils and because I live in Southwest Florida where it gets hot and the winters are mild I have decided to go with Redline 15w-40 Diesel oil for my 2019 Ram 1500 Classic Laramie ecodiesel. The Redline 15w-40 meets the Cummins spec 20081 which matches the Mopar spec for oil as well as the other specs listed.

I use Redline in all my vehicles from my wife's 2016 Honda Civic with a 1.5 liter turbo engine 0w-20, my 2018 Yamaha Star Venture Transcontinental 1854cc V-Twin shared sump engine/primary/transmission 10-40 motorcycle oil, my 2019 John Deere X758 tractor with a three cylinder Yanmar Diesel engine 15w-40 Diesel oil and my two Yamaha Generators 10w-30. I even use Redline Polycomp 30w air compressor oil in my 60 gallon two stage Quincy air compressor.

I ran Redline 0w-40 in my 2016 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi 4X4 that I traded in for the ecodiesel with great results.

I like the Redline because they use a group V ester base stock.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Interesting choice. Why not stick with the recommended 5w40?

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have also thought about going with a 15w oil also. I live in Southeast Florida, cold is NEVER an issue. However if the engine dies, Ram will be looking for anything to deny my claim, and 15w oil would be a good reason for them.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Born and raised in Ft Myers and observed frost twice in 18 years! Valvoline 5w40 has our MS spec, their 15w40 does not yet both have the Cummins seal.

As BobC stated...exposing oneself to potential warranty denial is real. Others here have posted UOA with Rotella 15w40 demonstrating nice numbers so the oil will be fine however until warranty expired, personally would not.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The first number on multi-weight oil is nothing more than a pour rating, it is not the weight of the oil, a 40 weight is a 40 weight, all the first number means is that when the oil is cold it will pour like a 5 weight oil in the case of a 5w-40 or a 15 weight oil in the case of a 15w-40. Redline 15W-40 is rated down to -49 degrees I will never see -49 degrees.

As for the warranty vs oil used that is a loser for FCA as their own past actions of specing a 5w-30 then changing to 5w-40 oil where a real weight change did occur would be hard for them to defend. Remember that the second number is the true weight of the oil no matter what the first number says.

Further the Redline 15w-40 is listed with the Cummins 20081 spec that meets the corresponding MOPAR spec.

·
Registered
184 Posts
The first number on multi-weight oil is nothing more than a pour rating, it is not the weight of the oil, a 40 weight is a 40 weight, all the first number means is that when the oil is cold it will pour like a 5 weight oil in the case of a 5w-40 or a 15 weight oil in the case of a 15w-40. Redline 15W-40 is rated down to -49 degrees I will never see -49 degrees.

As for the warranty vs oil used that is a loser for FCA as their own past actions of specing a 5w-30 then changing to 5w-40 oil where a real weight change did occur would be hard for them to defend. Remember that the second number is the true weight of the oil no matter what the first number says.

Further the Redline 15w-40 is listed with the Cummins 20081 spec that meets the corresponding MOPAR spec.
FCA can deny for whatever reason they want. They only way to reverse that decision is to get a lawyer and file a suit and win. Based on some of the bullsh!t reasons I have read on here for denial of warranty claims, I will play it safe for now.

·
Premium Member
2015 RAM 1500 CC 4x4
5,186 Posts
I started running 5w40 rotella in mine when i drained the factory fill before the change. Glad i did. Im considering swaping to a 15w40 also as i have seen a few oil analysis that were better on it. Also according to the good folks at GDE, the engine was never specifically designed to run on 5w30, it was developed on same 15w40 as the bigger trucks run, or so they once said.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I wouldn't pick a 15W-40 oil unless I drove almost no short trips. The little Eco takes such a long time to warm up. 15 cold pour is pretty thick even at 80 degrees, compared to 5 weight cold pour.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know it's an older post. currently where I'm at, there seems to be a weird shortage of just rotella oil everywhere. All I can really find is 15w-40, Which is what i plan on putting in if i cant find 5w-40.

Overlook, I have both 15 and 5 single weight break oil in my garage. and man I don't think anyone could tell the difference in a blind pour test. they flow almost identical in my south Texas 85 degree garage. you can tell by pinching the two between your fingers ones a little thicker/tackier but that's it.

🤦‍♂️geeze! I just want things the way they used to be just a few months ago. oil was flowing like water and diesel was under 1.50/Gal. Thanks Bidacrats!

·
Premium Member
5,351 Posts
I know it's an older post. currently where I'm at, there seems to be a weird shortage of just rotella oil everywhere. All I can really find is 15w-40, Which is what i plan on putting in if i cant find 5w-40.
Pretty good shortage of t6 5w40 here too, in the Midwest. It's out there but you really have to look hard.

I wouldn't hesitate to use a comparable 15w40.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts