RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For anyone who has straight piped their EcoDiesel, I am looking for sensors and possibly an SCR pipe. I broke the nut off of the NOx sensor and the bung got damaged after a failed attempt to use heat to get it out. Now that I have my ecodiesel straight piped and celtic tuned, the girlfriend wants to move to BC, Canada and I have to put the old pipes back on because of "Air Care"

I visited a local Ram dealer and they want my first born child for a new NOx sensor and SCR pipe. Can anyone help me out?

nox1.jpg nox.jpg

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll have to give them a call in the morning. I wish there was a way to cut the NOx wire, add a new nut, and splice it back together but apparently you can't according to parts guys. There are still 2 good threads on the bung, not sure if that's enough to hold a new sensor or if I should just weld a new bung in. Seems difficult finding the proper sized bung because its slightly bigger than an O2 bung.... I wish this was as easy as taking the pipes off, lol

·
Registered
70 Posts
. Now that I have my ecodiesel straight piped and celtic tuned, the girlfriend wants to move to BC, Canada and I have to put the old pipes back on because of "Air Care"
Not sure if you're aware that the Air Care program in BC changed recently.

The BC Air Care program was phased out a few years ago. This mandatory testing took place every two years at their facility.

It seems that the Ministry of Transport can do road side testing on vehicles that they suspect have excessive emissions. Not sure if this is more for commercial vehicles.

AirCare ON-ROAD Program.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya, I'm pretty sure if a cop got behind my truck, they would have a bad sinus head ache within a few minutes, lol. A 2014 straight piped ecodiesel stinks pretty bad, especially on start up and running for the first 10 minutes. Yearly inspections in BC so they would see the emissions stuff missing and I don't want to hollow out the dpf because that's a $2700 pipe if I ever get pulled over for having a stinky exhaust.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I want (not really) to put the old pipes back on because the exhaust is really nasty and the air recirculation only works if there is no moisture in the cab and with the AC on.. it gives me plugged sinuses instantly after getting a good whiff on a cold morning

·
Registered
123 Posts
I want (not really) to put the old pipes back on because the exhaust is really nasty and the air recirculation only works if there is no moisture in the cab and with the AC on.. it gives me plugged sinuses instantly after getting a good whiff on a cold morning
Yeah, these thing really smell for a small diesel. My old 5.9l straight piped cummins was much more pleasant smelling than this one.

·
Registered
12,834 Posts
All those moments from "deleters" about the smell is new information I never read before.

I have an old tractor from the 60's that smokes a bit but has little to no odor when I start it under the shed roof. My old diesel trucks did have a bit of smoke and odor but were not what I would describe as bad. Strange.

·
Vendor
1,137 Posts
Can you post a picture of what's written on the side of the control unit? Does it say EGS-NX or EGS-PM? Your picture doesn't look like the NOx sensor.

We do have some spares if you are still in need of one.

The exhaust smell comes from the stock tuning with just EGR turned off, this still results in a lot of stink due to hydrocarbons. This is why you have to do combustion analysis and development when developing tunes, otherwise you end up with the eye-burner result.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am soon about to just buy this one off eBay but its still expensive. The sensor is one of two sensors found between the muffler and the NOx catylist and are both found on the NOx catylst pipe

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I think is has something to do with the injectors. in a normal set up, there are multiple injections in a single cycle to reduce noise and NOx emissions @Captainmal

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Is that still one of the sensors between the muffler and the NOx catalyst? Cause at the dealership, the parts guys told me that both were NOx sensors

1 - 17 of 17 Posts