RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Truck on its way, and I build using the BigHorn trim level which comes with 20" wheels ... For a variety of reasons, mainly because I simply don't want them and its my $$$, I'd like to swap to a 17" wheel and LT tire ... however in an attempt to avoid making a really stupid decision, i'll listen to any input on that being stupid/bad idea.

My main reasons for wanting to go to a 17" wheel - more tire variety/choices, cheaper to replace than 20" tires, able to get a tire with taller sidewall...

The possible "stupid" decision comes from I do have 3.92 gears and don't know if that trumps my desire to not have 20" wheels... so maybe someone who is better with gearing & math can weigh in and tell me if i just would be better off staying with 20" wheels.

Thanks!

·
Registered
738 Posts
The 20" wheels are 33" in diameter.The standard 17" on the RAM is 31.6" You can look at something like an LT 285/70/17, which is 32.7" in diameter. There are surely other combinations as well

·
Registered
54 Posts
I agree with you. I'd rather have more tire and less wheel.
I got my Laramie Crew 4x4 with 17" wheels, putting 285/70/17s on this week. I'll post pics later.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I agree with you. I'd rather have more tire and less wheel.
I got my Laramie Crew 4x4 with 17" wheels, putting 285/70/17s on this week. I'll post pics later.
Should look good. I did this with my son's F-150 a few years back on his 17's. That extra couple inches in diameter made a huge difference in the looks of the truck.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Truck on its way, and I build using the BigHorn trim level which comes with 20" wheels ... For a variety of reasons, mainly because I simply don't want them and its my $$$, I'd like to swap to a 17" wheel and LT tire ... however in an attempt to avoid making a really stupid decision, i'll listen to any input on that being stupid/bad idea.

My main reasons for wanting to go to a 17" wheel - more tire variety/choices, cheaper to replace than 20" tires, able to get a tire with taller sidewall...

The possible "stupid" decision comes from I do have 3.92 gears and don't know if that trumps my desire to not have 20" wheels... so maybe someone who is better with gearing & math can weigh in and tell me if i just would be better off staying with 20" wheels.

Thanks!
Wheel size is another one of those options that many have anguished over but in the end the differences are small. The choice depends on where you drive, what looks good to you and your budget. I wanted maximum off-road ability in a relatively stock configuration which meant 17-inch wheels and LT tires. When I ordered, the wheels were available but not the LT tires. So, upon delivery I took the opportunity to install LT285/70/17 tires in place of the stock P265/70R17 which brings the ground clearance back up to what stock 20-inch tires offer. Hard to go bigger than 285/70/17 on stock 17x7 wheels without getting into mounting problems. I could have also chosen to put slightly larger LT tires on 20-inch wheels but that gets expensive and heavy.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@bigfoot - do you have any pictures on the forums of your truck with the 285/70/17's? And what LT did you go with? I'm all over tirerack.com and other retailers (including ebay). There's no reason to have the 20"s and when i did my build i kicked, screamed and fought for 17's but the "big horn" trim wont let you pick the 17" wheels (at least at the time i did my order in April). at best i'll keep the 20"s till the tread wears and then swap - i have other things i think i'll spend money on first before i pull off brand new tires. budget really isn't much of an issue, its just practicality. i used to sell tires for a LONG time and i know my tires, brands, pros and cons... there's absolutely nothing 'good' about a 20" wheel on a 1/2T other than it looks (subjective of course) good.

·
Registered
56 Posts

Thanks!
I originally deleted the 20's and added 17's on my order. I think it was a 300.00 credit on the Big Horn package. The next day I found a pic of the 17's available on a SLT (no pics on the Ram website). I called the dealer and changed my order back to 20's.

I will say the 20's have grown on me and I am glad I went with the 20's. My decision was based on cosmetics not replacement cost.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@Ram - i did the same thing, when i used the ramtrucks.com builder i was able to delete the 20"s however when the dealer did the actual build & order, his system would not allow him to make that change. its an ongoing discussion and i'm hoping maybe he'll swap when truck arrives. if not i'll drive them till its time to replace the tires, which if they are like typical Goodyear won't take too long ...

·
Registered
134 Posts
I like the 20". I'm not using the truck as a work truck though. It's a run to town truck. I have a HD for work. I picked up a second set of 20" tires and wheels on a take off. Bought for $1000. Then I bought a set of Blizzak snow tires. Mounted on second set of wheels. So I have a spare set of summer tires and and a set of snow tires. Just change and reset TPMS each season. I shouldn't need tire for awhile.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
@bigfoot - do you have any pictures on the forums of your truck with the 285/70/17's? And what LT did you go with? I'm all over tirerack.com and other retailers (including ebay). There's no reason to have the 20"s and when i did my build i kicked, screamed and fought for 17's but the "big horn" trim wont let you pick the 17" wheels (at least at the time i did my order in April). at best i'll keep the 20"s till the tread wears and then swap - i have other things i think i'll spend money on first before i pull off brand new tires. budget really isn't much of an issue, its just practicality. i used to sell tires for a LONG time and i know my tires, brands, pros and cons... there's absolutely nothing 'good' about a 20" wheel on a 1/2T other than it looks (subjective of course) good.
See http://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/...61-i-need-pics-truck-285-70-17s.html#post9207.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
nice! i was looking at similar wheel design, pretty funny... what make are those wheels? there is an AR wheel with that exact same look that is my current leading replacement choice....

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
nice! i was looking at similar wheel design, pretty funny... what make are those wheels? there is an AR wheel with that exact same look that is my current leading replacement choice....
They are the factory aluminum chrome-clad wheels that came on the Laramie. Not sure of the supplier. Many spokes to clean and the plastic chrome does not feel or look right to me, but in the end I don't really care so long as they work.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts