RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love this truck. I have been drooling for 2 years over it. And now they are here. I am hearing 25 mpg, I'm hearing all this great stuff...and I can't get one = (. I am due for a new truck next year or two. ( 2003 Silverado 1500HD, 6.0L 4x4 ) is my current rig. But the 1500ED just isn't enough. I do construction, and am always loading trucks up. Towing 6000lb (which the ED will do, but not sure if it will be happy EVERYDAY). The other day I loaded 5100# of mortar in my truck (2200# over payload), but there was a mistake on the order and i got 60 80# bags....not 30.

I have been contemplating using a trailer ALL the time, and payload wouldn't be a big deal. but I just don't think its feasible. I just want 30mpg in my truck so so bad.

I am very jealous of you guys.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Sounds like you just need a 2500.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I would definatly agree with that assesment

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know I do, I like to think yea, I can use a 1/2 ton....my HD now is esentially a 2500...and it gets by most of the time. I like to think...ok I'll just take it easy on her...but that won't work either, especially when I need it to make money. And I'd love to be doing well enough where I'm just driving around to sites and make sure all is well...then a 1/2 ton will be fine...but I'm aways away from that too. So Looks like my 03 will give me 2 more years, then a 6.7 2500 and 8ft bed....Oh well

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Or a 3500, 5100# is a shit pile of weight!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea, I don't do 5100 that often. But Usually have a few hundred#. More than an 800lb payload will do for me. The 5100, had my truck on the stops...airbags couldn't lift it...It wasn't happy. I will probably get a 3500 next. I like leafsprings, and may even go DRW...just so I'm never worried. Just sucks as a DD....but since i still have to use my work truck as a DD...what can you do.

·
Registered
13,665 Posts
The motor will love it. It will eat up the loads. The suspension will NOT. You could beef up the suspension different ways but in the end, it's still a 1500.

You need at least a 2500.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Write offs are better for 3/4 tons

·
Registered
279 Posts
Farrell, with towing, large payloads, and also on the wish list, 30 mpg, you are asking for something that either aint out there, or is not possible.at least in 2014-2015... no matter what the half ton truck it is, it's only capable of so much in payload and towing....
And even the Cummins 5.0 that could do any of that, will not achieve 30 mpg...

you may want to look at a 3/4 ton diesel, any one of them....

·
Registered
81 Posts
Too bad the manufacturers don't go back a step and put a small diesel in their heavier trucks, like a 2500 or F250. Imagine an 8 lug axle truck with the E diesel. 240hp, 460lb-ft is plenty of power. These new monster diesels with 400hp and 800lb-ft are way overkill It wasn't too many years ago the 7.3 was making 190hp. A lot of those are still on the road doing work. Nothing wrong with running a diesel at WOT(wide open throttle) all day long if you have to.
It wont do 30 mpg but, man, I'd like to get better than 14.5 empty like my 6.4. Of course, my 1993 F150 5.0 wouldn't get over 14 either but we can wish. LOL

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'm in construction I went from 3/4 tons to a half ton Tundra 5 1/2 yrs. ago. I put airbags on and air them up to haul the heavier loads and use trailers too. My loads are usually hauled 40 miles at most and only a limited amount of times. I don't believe it's worth giving up the dollars or comfort for 5% of the use. You will find a way to get by most likely.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm in construction I went from 3/4 tons to a half ton Tundra 5 1/2 yrs. ago. I put airbags on and air them up to haul the heavier loads and use trailers too. My loads are usually hauled 40 miles at most and only a limited amount of times. I don't believe it's worth giving up the dollars or comfort for 5% of the use. You will find a way to get by most likely.
You don't find yourself every wishing for the 3/4 or 1 ton? I agree with what someone said, I wish I could get a new 2500 with a NORMAL engine. I don't need 800hp...my old 97 with 175hp did just fine for me. But that's not the case anymore.

The towing I think I would be ok with the 1500ED, I have full car hauler (1900lbs ) that I load up pretty often and move cars. I am more worried about the payload. A truck where I can only put 800lbs in the bed scares me. With PAX and tools....that's low. Then when I need material I will ALWAYS be overlaoded. Hell thats only 10 bags of concrete.

Yes for the 25% of the time I am using it hard...It will suffer, but the other 75% I Get a great looking DD that gets 25mpg...That is appealing. I also worry about the lifespan of the the truck being used like that. with my 2500, I know I can beat it pretty hard every day, and EVERYTHINg, frame, brakes, suspension are all up to the task day in and day out. I feel doing that with 1/2 ton will wear it out pretty quick.

The other issue is price. the 1500ED isn't cheap, I can get a middle of the road ED for a few bucks less than a lessr model 2500...

I think I will need to see how they play out. But yes, I'd love to be able to beat it when it's work time, and have a god MPG DD for the rest of the time.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I've never in all the years I've owned trucks paid any attention to what my weight limit was I went by what felt comfortable. But I know after a while what I want to haul. But I swore by 3/4 tons for many years. I have changed how I operate and how much I work too so I make the 1/2 ton fit with a few mods. I'm willing to take the chance for the potential pay-off. You can't have it all but there may be more diesel choices soon. I think what ruins things is the big 3 want bragging rights on power. Then they want rights to fuel mpgs.

·
Registered
13,665 Posts
Agree with the thoughts they now make the 3/4 ton pickups with motors too big. That 555 ft. lbs of torque in my old Cummins pulled up to 14K over mountains easily, multiple times. Today the engine is even larger, has more torque and of course, costs more money. My '04 had a window sticker of $36K. This new Ecodiesel 1500 has a sticker over $40K. Of course, I only paid $32K but that's another story.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Agree with the thoughts they now make the 3/4 ton pickups with motors too big. .................
Well.... it's not that they are too big... it's just that the efficancy has gotten WAY better.

In the early 70's, when the EPA neutered our gas engines with all the DUMB smog equipment (that really didn't do anything).... I remember a 2500 Chevy/GMC, 454 engine (7.4 L) that made a whopping 195 HP !!!!! It was dub'ed the "Supper Mouse."

Now... the engineers really had to sharpen their pencils to make the engines run better. (and burn less fuel, and produce less emissions) So... the 5.7L gas puts out 410 Lb-ft, and the 6.7 Diesel makes 800 Lb-ft !!!!! And with that crazy number... the tow rating of the new 3500 Ram puts it upward of 30,000 Lbs !!! (better than a class 5 Ford or Chevy)

Sure... the engineers can now put smaller engines in the trucks these days... but the AMERICAN public doesn't want to hear it. I'm sure that Ram was worried about showing the 1500 crowd a 3.0L engine. And to be very honest... 5 years ago... I would have laughed at it. But that's why Ram very openly (on multiple vids I've seen) said "The new 3.0L EcoDiesel Makes more HP and Torque than the original Cummins."

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Well said! This little 3.0L is one hell of a well engineered motor!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Agree with the thoughts they now make the 3/4 ton pickups with motors too big. That 555 ft. lbs of torque in my old Cummins pulled up to 14K over mountains easily, multiple times. Today the engine is even larger, has more torque and of course, costs more money. My '04 had a window sticker of $36K. This new Ecodiesel 1500 has a sticker over $40K. Of course, I only paid $32K but that's another story.
I'd gladly re-buy a 5.9 Cummins in a 2500. Now with DEF, etc. guys are getting 18 mpg? I get 22 mpg in my 5.9. It's all about the HP and torque wars between Ford/Chevy/Dodge. At some point, it's a bit too much at the expense of fuel economy.

I was all over the 1500 Ecodiesel, but am now looking at used 2500 CTDs. The lower payload in the 1500 means we can't put in a bed camper or a pallet of material. But... I might end up with the Ecodiesel and just trailer any heavier loads (and skip the camper idea).

·
Registered
214 Posts
Intend to use or abuse whatever truck I have over its rating it's a truck make it work hard. I'm not going to name mine a girls name. I don't want to tear it up I just want to make it earn it's money. I hope I'm not buying a car.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Just imagine what the MPG would be if the VM 3.0L wasn't so wound up. It's amazing how much hp some modern diesels are putting out these days. Production diesel engines from VM and Audi/Porsche are setting the pace at around 80Hp/Liter. Maybe it's to satisfy the enthusiast crowd as other diesel engines having a more working roll are around 60 to 65Hp/Liter. Heck, even the VW 2.0 TDI is only 70Hp/Liter.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts