RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Those Worx are sick! Worx is definitely at the top of the aftermarket wheel list for me. I like XD's as well but everyone in Texas is riding on them. Nothing wrong with that but I like my truck to be unique.

·
Registered
6 Posts
There are a lot of choices out there for aftermarket wheels. I wish somebody produced aluminum slots in proper offset and 20 inch diameter. On 20s if kept to porportion of the 70s slots, the holes would really look cool! I think the factory aluminum 20s closely mimic the old craigers or ansens.
Time to fire up the cnc mill?

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Most definitely. I am already looking at wheel and tire configurations. I like my Hankook Dynapro ATm on my Jeep, and looking at those, in 17" LT LR-E for the Ram.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I personally don't care for the black look wheels. I prefer the brushed aluminum or chrome, as long as not too gaudy. I will be keeping the "Limited" wheels on my new 2014 but before next winter will get a 2nd set of wheels and mount winter tires on them. I also like the wheels on the Sport model so may look for a set of 20" Sport wheels. If anyone in BC or Alberta are wanting to sell their Sport wheels they could send me a PM. Of course I haven't even got my new Eco-diesel yet.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Well, I haven't even got my new eco-diesel truck yet, but I have the winter wheels already, ready for next winter. While scanning a local internet, classified ad site I spotted an ad for a set of wheels and tires from a Ram Sport truck. They are 2013 Sport wheels so from what I have read, I will have to get the 2014 TPM sensors as the 2014's are different from the 2013's, but I got the wheels which are like new, complete with the Goodyear Wrangler tires which still have about 80% tread for $900. I couldn't pass up a deal like that. I will install Blizzak or comparable winter tires on them and keep the Goodyears in storage until I wear out the originals on my new truck, then use them. Now just have to wait for the truck but I am hoping if production of the ED's started today, I may not have too long to wait.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Ron, that's thinking ahead bro. Put the cart before the horse, you put the wheels before the truck !

The Worx wheels look pretty sharp, I tend to like aluminum look.... problem I'll have is spending 40,000-45,000 on a truck, probably nothing left over to spend on wheels !

·
Registered
396 Posts
I'm with you marsman. I would love to get new wheels. I have the money just not them money to spend. I'm pretty good at setting budgets and sticking to them. I do like having winter/summer wheels and tires but I will get the cheapest wheels I can find for the winters. Maybe one of stock ones from here.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Im keeping the stock 17" outdoorsman rims until the summer at least because I can't decide if I want to keep the stock rims for winters(and have nicer summer rims) or if I'll keep the stock rims for pavement and get offroad rims/tires. I'll probably end up with 3 full sets of rims/tires by next summer, but I can't decide what to buy now! I might wait until I see how it fares in mud

I'm going with painted though(White Outdoorsman with black 2-tone would look great with white OR black rims) just not sure the style.

I also live in rural Canada and travel to Alberta every year, so I'm obligated to have snow-rated tires when I enter Alberta(so I have to actually have a full set of actual snow tires to avoid fines)

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Im keeping the stock 17" outdoorsman rims until the summer at least because I can't decide if I want to keep the stock rims for winters(and have nicer summer rims) or if I'll keep the stock rims for pavement and get offroad rims/tires. I'll probably end up with 3 full sets of rims/tires by next summer, but I can't decide what to buy now! I might wait until I see how it fares in mud

I'm going with painted though(White Outdoorsman with black 2-tone would look great with white OR black rims) just not sure the style.

I also live in rural Canada and travel to Alberta every year, so I'm obligated to have snow-rated tires when I enter Alberta(so I have to actually have a full set of actual snow tires to avoid fines)
In Oregon any tire with a severe winter rating (snowflake in triangle) qualifies as a winter tire. These can be used in lieu of chains except at the highest level of chain control on AWD and 4x4 vehicles under 10,000 lbs. I have been using separate winter and summer tires for many years on a lighter vehicle. With the heavier Ram I would like to have one set if possible for both convenience and storage reasons. There are several off-road truck tires in Ram's size that are severe winter rated and all-season, such as the Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure Pro-Grade, SilentArmor or DuraTrac. What do you think of these? Too much compromise or are they "good enough" for general backcountry travel in the mountains and high desert?

Also, what do you consider off-road wheels for this truck? What's wrong with the stock 17" wheels?

·
Registered
366 Posts
I've had bigger rims on Hondas! I don't like 17s on trucks, they just look out of proportion. 18s are better but not worth the expense of such a small improvement so I'm looking at 20's. I can't decide what I want. the Worx wheels are good but these caught my eye:
tuffflat.jpg
Tuff's new all flat black rim ($295 CDN per piece+tax and shipping, with no customs delays/importing fees for me)

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
The problem with the 20" in stock size, there is almost no selection of LT tires available that I could see (0 Tirerack and 1 DiscountTire), but there is a wide choice in the 17" size. If I am towing, I want the stability of an LT tire. On the 20", going from 275 to 285, you have 4 choices at Tirerack and one of the same tires at Discount Tire.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I'm not worried about cheap tires online, I buy things in person. I shop local places and pick what suits best out of those. I ran through new low-profile 18s every year on my old turbo Acura(with turbo from 5.9L Cummins) so I'm sure a set of truck tires every 2 years is more economical regardless of brand. In canada we pay $5500 for the Ecodiesel option alone, so if you're worried about the price of tires and not your love for the vehicle you're set on the wrong rig.
When it comes to snow tires in my area, you literally run out of options for replacements if you totally ruin a tire because only limited quantities of them are actually made. I don't do mismatched tires, and when I was a salesman for Dodge near the Quebec boarder I learned that 17s are harder to find than 20s near the end of winter (and Quebec customers always put snow tires in their deals).

I'm likely to use the 17s for winters and the new rims for warm weather just because I want to take better care of the nicer rims. Price is not an issue when its a 10-15% variable on total cost of something that wears out anyway(so buying better quality could offset that)

·
Registered
396 Posts
Well. I am concerned about pixel of tires and wheels. My 3/4 could run around 35,00p on a set of tires and just because you buy them in person dose not make them better. Best tires I have had where big foot big o's. They lasted 40,000 miles bought from yournexttire.com

P

·
0 Posts
Well I can tell you from our family experience the Michelin LTX A/T, then M/S and now 2 years on M/S2s, no need for the offroad grip from the factory set, they have been great on a 2500 Suburban on the factory 16" steel wheels, 3 sets for 215k. For some reason Kauffman, Tire Rack and Discount/America's list them as Passenger but they are LT tires as per Michelins paperwork. Haven't gotten the F350 stuck or even spinning in the GA clay with A/T2s on 20s, the factory upgrade tire package. Definitely a truck tire and not passenger rated if they come factory on a 10k pound truck, but just my two cents. I'll check in the morning what the tires themselves say on the sidewall. But they are expensive at $250-275 per.

·
Registered
693 Posts
The problem with the 20" in stock size, there is almost no selection of LT tires available that I could see (0 Tirerack and 1 DiscountTire), but there is a wide choice in the 17" size. If I am towing, I want the stability of an LT tire. On the 20", going from 275 to 285, you have 4 choices at Tirerack and one of the same tires at Discount Tire.
I also checked out TireRack. The first time I searched for 275/60 R20 I got 2 hits. A couple minutes later I did it again and got 29 hits. Odd.

<--------------Pavement Princess

<g>

1 - 19 of 19 Posts