RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how the system calculates this? I have 44 hours running and 12 hours idle. I'm not sitting around idling the engine 25% of the time. Thanks

·
Registered
13,966 Posts
Just seems logical to me that each time you get stuck at a red light or start-up or whatever, the engine idles at something like 800 rpm. Guessing the counter starts "counting" time at that rpm.

Rev the engine and the other counter "counts". Idle is a bummer because it will plug up the particulate filter leading to a forced regeneration. In some diesels it will tend to wash the cylinder walls with fuel and dilute the oil.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Does anyone know how the system calculates this? I have 44 hours running and 12 hours idle. I'm not sitting around idling the engine 25% of the time. Thanks
I know what you mean. I do mostly highway/state rd driving. I do maybe 40% city but there is not a lot of traffic where I live. my truck idles for maybe 30sec when I start it and 3 when I shut it off. I haven't look at my times in awhile but I do remember thinking the idle time seemed high. sort of depressing thinking that many hours of my life I have set at idle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts