RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13,424 Posts
Welcome - First post.

"Good" ??? Diesels have unique engine issues at idle with the emissions equipment required today. You used the words "long time". Well that is subjective in what might be long for some is short for others. To me 10 minutes of idling is a "long time" . You can do that and more but run the risk of fuel dilution because diesels do not idle warmly like gasoline engines do. The EGR systems can be problematic and plug up the engine with soot while polluting the oil.

There's more but that's enough. To idle for hours would not be good.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,354 Posts
Like what Capt stated, not much reason to idle more than about 10 minutes. Diesels don't heat up quickly by idling (they actually cool off), when the truck is cold you let idle for a few then drive it easy until it gets up/over about 150°F. If your really working the truck pulling a trailer it a good idea to let it idle to cool off for about 5 minutes before shut down.

·
Registered
2019 RAM 1500 Tradesman 4X2 EcoDiesel
24 Posts
Like what Capt stated, not much reason to idle more than about 10 minutes. Diesels don't heat up quickly by idling (they actually cool off), when the truck is cold you let idle for a few then drive it easy until it gets up/over about 150°F. If your really working the truck pulling a trailer it a good idea to let it idle to cool off for about 5 minutes before shut down.
Can you go by coolant temperature to know when it's OK to "shut down"? Also, in warm or moderate weather, is it better to idle a minute or a few before driving off?
Edit: I have a 2019 Classic, 2nd Gen. Perhaps that doesn't matter with the cooling down part of the question.

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Since this post was in ref to 3rd gen, does anyone know if the owner's manual for 3rd gen has the same warning against extended idling that's found in the 2nd gen manuals?

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,354 Posts
Can you go by coolant temperature to know when it's OK to "shut down"? Also, in warm or moderate weather, is it better to idle a minute or a few before driving off?
Edit: I have a 2019 Classic, 2nd Gen. Perhaps that doesn't matter with the cooling down part of the question.
You can sort of go by coolant temp for shut down temp but the cool down is for the turbo. The ideal temp is to watch the Pre-Turbo temp(EGT1B1). Cool down is a good idea for any turbo charged vehicle.
I'll usually let the truck idle for a minute or so when I start is up, usually I hit the remote start just before I walk out to the garage.

·
Registered
13,424 Posts
Since this post was in ref to 3rd gen, does anyone know if the owner's manual for 3rd gen has the same warning against extended idling that's found in the 2nd gen manuals?
Not sure we know that as the OP has not yet returned to clarify what generation Ecodiesel he is talking about. Often people just get on the forum and go with the first thing they see, which is 3rd. Generation here.

Heat dissipation is a concern for turbo bearings that lose oil and coolant movement at shut-down. Not sure there are issues with dropping temperatures of the rest of the diesel engine. Many do not have turbos and I doubt there are any recommendations for any cool-down procedure.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Several temps to consider. Oil temp, coolant temp, Egt for example.

I would ignore coolant temp since it should be pretty stable all the time. EGT is a temp that the oil is exposed to and is responsible for absorbing at the turbo. It also drops very quickly especially say as you lift off leaving the highway for a rest area. It's really only at rest areas where the temptation to shut down quickly occurs. Millions of turbos out there, very few failures. Most people don't know. So if you do allow it to cool off for a minute, you are doing more than 99.999% of people.

·
Registered
107 Posts
My 3rd gen manual does state specifically that we should not idle the engine.

Edit: I could swear I read that in my manual, along with a warning about letting the turbo cool down for a brief period of time if you just stopped the truck after working it hard, but now I cannot find those things in the manual. I've searched and searched and can't find them. So...

·
Registered
107 Posts
OK, so the only thing in the manual is in reference to engine break-in period.

Also, I did find the turbo cool-down chart.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts