41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Update:
Arrived 7/29
Installed 7/29
De-installed 7/29 and Stock re-installed:mad:
Incorrect VIN installed on ECM-Service Electronic Trailer Brake Controller Message appears and Truck dies 2 seconds after start. Very:mad:
Returning 7/30 Talking to GDE in am to see if they can get a replacement here Saturday with no additional core charge........

And then I am going to remove those idiotic air box tabs and replace with 4 mini C Clamps(stainless)............;)
Sorry about your issue!. I installed mine (kept ecu) and only drove it long enough for the regen. Ill get a better feel for it going to work tomorrow. Honestly I dont think Ill notice much of a difference in feel when driving it. Im still in that good MPG novelty stage and driving like a grandma. Eventually I may drive a bit harder but then I wont Know the difference between the two as I switched before 600 miles.

I am however super happy to have the EGR off and soon to have a CCV catch can. I hope this makes the engine trouble free for many miles.

·
Registered
128 Posts
A bungee cord would work better than those airbox tabs and I know you know what they look like. Too Funny.:) Back to GDE.
I had a very easy time installing my air box cover, just push back on the intake flex zone and it will allow the back tabs to line up better.

·
Administrator
4,550 Posts
I had a very easy time installing my air box cover, just push back on the intake flex zone and it will allow the back tabs to line up better.
I was referring to the metal clamp/tabs which are about worthless.:) Glad your install went well. Think you will notice a difference even with only 600 miles prior to change. Best.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I was referring to the metal clamp/tabs which are about worthless.:) Glad your install went well. Think you will notice a difference even with only 600 miles prior to change. Best.
O sorry. Those metal tabs are pretty universal on airboxes. I like them better than screws for speed/convience. Anyways I figure I'll notice more on my way to work tomorrow. I was focused on getting the regen done and heading back to the house as soon as possible tonight. tomorrow though should give a better perspective.

·
Administrator
4,550 Posts
Those metal tabs are pretty universal on airboxes. Maybe recently but the design on the RAM sucks. Those metal tabs suck and again are about worthless. Ok done beating that to death. Waiting for a new tuned ECM.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
A bungee cord would work better than those airbox tabs and I know you know what they look like. Too Funny.:) Back to GDE.
I think RB33 was referring to seeing pics of your new mini c-clamps on the air box. I would also like to see & I thought it was just me getting impatient with those worthless, sharp clips.

·
Administrator
4,550 Posts
I will bungee cord it last resort. Search for small C clamps sucks too. May just screw it down but the design and clamps are worthless. And again it has to bring us back to GDE. Hope to post an update on install.
Cuz 4 times practice today was not fun. ;)

·
Super Moderator
2,534 Posts
Sorry about your issue!. I installed mine (kept ecu) and only drove it long enough for the regen. Ill get a better feel for it going to work tomorrow. Honestly I dont think Ill notice much of a difference in feel when driving it. Im still in that good MPG novelty stage and driving like a grandma. Eventually I may drive a bit harder but then I wont Know the difference between the two as I switched before 600 miles.

I am however super happy to have the EGR off and soon to have a CCV catch can. I hope this makes the engine trouble free for many miles.
One thing you can't miss no matter how few miles you have or how you drive is the lag in the factory tune from a stop is mostly eliminated.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
good luck blue! i have to also echo, GDE guys have done a great job helping me understand not just their product, but also some other questions i've had about possible mods and benefits. i'm hoping they'll find other products to offer us down the line as well.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Update:
Kudos to Keith and Matt and GDE. Replacement ECM shipped today, here Saturday and will do it all over again then post up here. :) Thanks GDE!!
Looking forward to hearing your view on the upgrade. I got some time behind mine today and, well it was just swell. Truck drove just as it should and felt great! Im not talking about some blow your engine up tune, but a smooth, factory like driving experience. It seems GDE got it right with their tune!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Just installed today. Very initial observation is this. 2014 August build. 2014 ECM and powertrain flash. Truck was fine but engine kinda loud. DEF used quickly. I was having a regen every day with my driving style, which was a huge pain. I had the OEM ECM and powertrain flashed with latest updates. Truck was very quiet and smooth but DPF was sooting up just as fast. After install of GDE ECM truck sounds and feels like 2014 flash but soot production is way down. No more waiting for egt3 to cool. Hopefully this helps for very long term use.

·
Administrator
4,550 Posts
Update:
Arrived 7/29
Installed 7/29
De-installed 7/29 and Stock re-installed
Incorrect VIN installed on ECM-Service Electronic Trailer Brake Controller Message appears and Truck dies 2 seconds after start.
Returning 7/30 Talking to GDE in am to see if they can get a replacement here Saturday with no additional core charge........
Purchased 7/25
2nd ECM arrived 8/1
Installed 8/1 at 15,008 miles.
30 miles on it to check it out
No CEL's
Northern Nevada

·
Registered
80 Posts
- GDE ECU date purchased - 6/14/15 date GDE installed
- Miles Diven since installed - 9000 miles
- Any CEL/MIL or dealer/service problems since install - none
- State/Province (that's what you whacky northern types call your states right?) - CA bay area

·
Registered
45 Posts
More time driving this Grand Cherokee with the GDE tune has made me realize that the rig is actually a LOT quicker to get up to speed now. It's impressively quick for what it is.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Installed mine today, right at 21K miles on the stock tune. Changed the oil, the fuel filter and the air filter. Dressed the engine bay a little, then took her out on the Austin tollroad so I could run her at 85 for a while. Very pleased.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Installed mine today, right at 21K miles on the stock tune. Changed the oil, the fuel filter and the air filter. Dressed the engine bay a little, then took her out on the Austin tollroad so I could run her at 85 for a while. Very pleased.
What have you noticed that is different from your stock tune? What fuel mileage did your EVIC read while doing 85? I live in Texas too & have yet to take the toll road - heard it was great.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Update:
Arrived 7/29
Installed 7/29
De-installed 7/29 and Stock re-installed
Incorrect VIN installed on ECM-Service Electronic Trailer Brake Controller Message appears and Truck dies 2 seconds after start.
Purchased 7/25
2nd ECM arrived 8/1
Installed 8/1 at 15,008 miles.
30 miles on it to check it out
No CEL's
Northern Nevada
How are you liking it Blue?

·
Administrator
4,550 Posts
How are you liking it Blue?
CB,
Have over 1K miles on the tune.. There is a regen after install forced. First regen after that was 600 miles from install. I posted in another thread about throttle response through all gears improved, pedal pressure to retain speed it is a soft pedal now. I never had lag issues before and still do not. Mileage improvement regular driving and towing is real. Actually have heard cooling fan on after stopping for first time in 15K miles.
Def usage has decreased. It was always a pleasure to drive but watching that EVIC hover at 30 or 29.5 when normal was 25 to 25.5 kinda cool.:) Just broke 16K miles and no issues.
Just wanted to add that after reviewing all their test data before committing, I had signed on as an early adopter but backed out. After reading all the early adopter accounts both 3.55 and 3.92 some tow, some not, chose to proceed. GDE also answered all my visible questions on the forum as well as pm's. My results mirror the test results they provided here in their thread for us as well as what you can see on their site. Final Disclaimer, no association with GDE and provided no special treatment by GDE in terms of tune cost or perks.:)

Now I'm thinking I should have asked for a T-Shirt.....;)

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Reading this thread got me smiling. I am a proud GDE Jeep Liberty Tune Purchaser. Now, I think I want to get the one for my Brand New Ram 1500.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts