RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wrote an email to the the Honorable Edward Chen telling him how bad the AEM recall screws owners of ecodiesel trucks (he is the judge overseeing this whole debacle).

If you feel the same way I would encourage you to write to him, he needs to hear from consumers on this, we're the ones left holding the bag. The $3,075 is a joke, and that's what I told him. The AEM basically ruins the truck that we purchased. It makes them less fuel efficient, less powerful, and dangerous to drive. And, the trade-in values on the ecodiesels are suffering because people are unloading them onto the used market, and dealers don't want them because of the AEM stigma.

His media clerk is: [email protected]

I asked him to demand FCA make a new ECU tune that doesn't harm us, the consumer, I hope many of you will do the same.

More contact info on his office can be found here: https://www.cand.uscourts.gov/emc

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea, screw everyone else, I got mine and that's too bad for the rest of you. In fact, I hope the next time you spend $47,000 on a vehicle it turns out to be a lemon and I hope you have no recourse against the manufacturer. Great forum community guys, really appreciate the smart-assery towards folks that have really screwed up trucks and are stuck with them, classy.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Perhaps those that experienced no harm from the AEM should return their checks, so that those owners who have can be adequately compensated?
Perhaps you do not understand what the compensation is for. It has nothing to do with any alleged harm done to the truck, but for the simple fact that we didn't get what we bargained for when we purchased the truck, the expectation being that we bought a truck that met federal standards.

Further, I contend that my truck has not suffered from any loss in safety, power or mileage. I have the numbers to prove that the mileage has not decreased and in fact it may have improved. More testing is in order... What I cannot say is how longevity will be affected, but $3075 and additional warranty help me to sleep at night.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Perhaps you do not understand what the compensation is for. It has nothing to do with any alleged harm done to the truck, but for the simple fact that we didn't get what we bargained for when we purchased the truck, the expectation being that we bought a truck that met federal standards.

Further, I contend that my truck has not suffered from any loss in safety, power or mileage. I have the numbers to prove that the mileage has not decreased and in fact it may have improved. More testing is in order... What I cannot say is how longevity will be affected, but $3075 and additional warranty help me to sleep at night.
Exactly !! The $3k had nothing to do with post AEM problems.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Exactly !! The $3k had nothing to do with post AEM problems.
I am not so sure about that... Kinda think it has everything to do with AEM ,and issues surrounding it.. Just my opinion. They make you sign papers saying this is the end of your rights to receive more compensation.

The warranty, one could argue is due to the known soot related problems to arrise. The money could be applied to fuel efficiency loss , and extra def costs.

They spent a long time setting this all up , and you can assume the judge weighed the pros and cons coming up with a compensation solution that makes owners mostly right.

This is my opinion , right or wrong. Clearly they wouldn't have broke the law in the first place , if they thought the AEM was superior programming.

If you signed the paperwork and took the money.. I think you are SOL on getting more compensation though.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I count 5 regular posters on here with no issues post AEM. Yes, something is different with some of the trucks operation but may be a sensor or some other component causing a fuel rich condition not the programing. Think it thru, reduced mileage, throttle (turbo) lag, cold engine balk. I don't have the magic answer but may be able to start a smarter discussion about a cure for those with problems. Bitching to a law firm that has already been paid or a judge who has already made a ruling is not going to make a difference in my opinion.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
I am not so sure about that... Kinda think it has everything to do with AEM ,and issues surrounding it.. Just my opinion. They make you sign papers saying this is the end of your rights to receive more compensation.

The warranty, one could argue is due to the known soot related problems to arrise. The money could be applied to fuel efficiency loss , and extra def costs.

They spent a long time setting this all up , and you can assume the judge weighed the pros and cons coming up with a compensation solution that makes owners mostly right.

This is my opinion , right or wrong. Clearly they wouldn't have broke the law in the first place , if they thought the AEM was superior programming.

If you signed the paperwork and took the money.. I think you are SOL on getting more compensation though.
From the EcoDiesel Settlement website.

"These settlements resolve legal claims asserting that the vehicles do not comply with federal and state emissions regulations and that Fiat Chrysler made misrepresentations to consumers regarding the vehicles."

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yea, screw everyone else, I got mine and that's too bad for the rest of you. In fact, I hope the next time you spend $47,000 on a vehicle it turns out to be a lemon and I hope you have no recourse against the manufacturer. Great forum community guys, really appreciate the smart-assery towards folks that have really screwed up trucks and are stuck with them, classy.
It's astounding and unlike any other forum I've ever experienced. Damn near feels like FCA hired some cheerleaders to participate here who are doing a mediocre job. Regardless, keep fighting the fight. I have arbitration this month.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Whoever is happy with AEM over time will get stung. Not if, just when. Its a bad design folks, you can't fix stupid.

·
Registered
988 Posts
True, and I believe the only way auction prices will recover is the delete crowd buys these gems and does the deed with many happy miles ahead. But for the rest of us, not much of a future, at least regarding reliability.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Search the forum, there are hassle free fixes that will restore your truck to better performance than when you bought it new. We get it and are sympathetic to your plight. Welcome to the forum and do please keep posting. Diesels take particular maintenance to keep them running efficiently, especially modern diesels. This forum does provide valuable insight and info on how to keep your ED running.

So, take part of the settlement and purchase the fixes that will make your truck the best truck you have ever owned. Or, keep wallowing in the AEM misery. It is your choice.

·
Registered
235 Posts

You're not calculating your fuel economy correctly or can't read numbers if you think your truck isn't LESS efficient after the AEM. I lost over 20% on hwy, and 15% in the city. I got this truck ONLY because it was the most fuel efficient 1500 on the market. Might as well have gotten a gasser and saved a bunch of money. I'd still be ahead right now and not hating every drive I make in it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Search the forum, there are hassle free fixes that will restore your truck to better performance than when you bought it new. We get it and are sympathetic to your plight. Welcome to the forum and do please keep posting. Diesels take particular maintenance to keep them running efficiently, especially modern diesels. This forum does provide valuable insight and info on how to keep your ED running.

So, take part of the settlement and purchase the fixes that will make your truck the best truck you have ever owned. Or, keep wallowing in the AEM misery. It is your choice.
DF - Would you post where these hassle free fixes are located? I'm very eager to see exactly what you mean. Don't you think if it were that easy - all of us would know about it?

Same forum, different post, another user claimed the same thing. I too ask for proof... Nothing was provided.

I understand the purpose of the settlement check. However, after the updates, I do not have the same truck. My truck never had any turbo lag... Worse yet, I've gone from 26+ mpg down to 18-19 mpg. Just like the false auto air bags, Volkswagen, and now Dodge/Ram - they all lied. Volkswagen was the worse, getting away with so much fabrication and miss truths.

Ram can keep the money - just give me the truck that I bought. Or, offer to buy my truck at a great rate, rather than trying to satisfy us with pennies.

·
Registered
120 Posts
You're not calculating your fuel economy correctly or can't read numbers if you think your truck isn't LESS efficient after the AEM. I lost over 20% on hwy, and 15% in the city. I got this truck ONLY because it was the most fuel efficient 1500 on the market. Might as well have gotten a gasser and saved a bunch of money. I'd still be ahead right now and not hating every drive I make in it.
I'M TOTALLY WITH YOU ON WHAT YOU POSTED!

·
Registered
235 Posts
I just wrote an email to the the Honorable Edward Chen telling him how bad the AEM recall screws owners of ecodiesel trucks (he is the judge overseeing this whole debacle).

If you feel the same way I would encourage you to write to him, he needs to hear from consumers on this, we're the ones left holding the bag. The $3,075 is a joke, and that's what I told him. The AEM basically ruins the truck that we purchased. It makes them less fuel efficient, less powerful, and dangerous to drive. And, the trade-in values on the ecodiesels are suffering because people are unloading them onto the used market, and dealers don't want them because of the AEM stigma.

His media clerk is: [email protected]

I asked him to demand FCA make a new ECU tune that doesn't harm us, the consumer, I hope many of you will do the same.

More contact info on his office can be found here: https://www.cand.uscourts.gov/emc
Just wrote the judge. I doubt he has time or power to do anything about this. But at least I tried. I hate my truck now. I wish I just got the guzzling hemi instead. I would have paid so much less and had a truck that can actually get out of its way. Also, it'd cost the same to operate as diesel is so much pricier than gasoline.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts