RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck is a 2020 Classic. 27K miles. At about 5K I noticed sometimes the Radio would lock up and display volume would set at 50% with no sound and can not change stations. (Flashed and on change new Radio on order) Also around 5K I stopped at my mailbox, got mail and pulled into driveway to read mail. I shut down the engine. While reading the mail I noticed I heard a relay clicking around the radio area. The speedometer and RPM needles would jump up about 3/8 of an inch every 4 to 5 seconds. Since that day I have noticed that it would do it often. (most time I turn off engine and get out and who knows what it does after I am out) I used my cell and filmed it many times. Dealer stated the modules are just going to sleep. I say bull crap... I have filmed it for up to 10 minutes. It does not do it every time. I have worked in electronics for over 40 years and know all about systems having an orderly shut down. This is not the case. The fact that I hear a relay pick up each time it does it is clearly a clue that something is miss firing. I think the module for the instrument cluster has a problem. I have showed the Dealer several times the videos and they pass it off as going to sleep...Ten minutes??? I know I can not have the only truck that is doing this. If you have also seen this problem please let me know the result and how or if yours was fixed. I would upload a short video of it doing it if I new how to. Please help
Johnny

·
Administrator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
5,898 Posts
The noises after turning off the vehicle while it "puts itself to sleep" are normal, the DS body trucks do this. You don't even have to a e turned the truck off, just open/close the driver's door. I believe it's mostly the HVAC dampers moving to their "default" positions.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry, but no one is speaking about the needles on the dials jumping up 3/8 of an inch for 10 minutes every 5 seconds after the switch key is turned OFF. That is what I am concerned about. This cant be normal. The Dealer knows what is wrong with the radio and replacing it. I cant believe no one else has this problem. I am afraid after the 36K the cluster module will go out.

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
Sorry, but no one is speaking about the needles on the dials jumping up 3/8 of an inch for 10 minutes every 5 seconds after the switch key is turned OFF. That is what I am concerned about. This cant be normal. The Dealer knows what is wrong with the radio and replacing it. I cant believe no one else has this problem. I am afraid after the 36K the cluster module will go out.
Lots of the electric systems on these trucks run self checks and calibrations after key off. The reason, so they well be more accurate and not need to due it on startup which annoys customers. It well not decrease the life of them but some people complain about it.

·
Registered
2016 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel 4x4 CC Laramie
1,023 Posts
Needles do jump up a bit when modules are "woken". Totally normal. Nothing to loose sleep over. Modules only go to deep sleep hours after you leave your truck alone.
Even then some of them are awake like your radio hub for keyless entry. If you totally want to kill all modules disconnect your battery cables.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks...I guess I'll take you at your word. Only strange thing is no one I have asked that owns Ram 2018- 2022 has seen this happen. I guess that normal people pull in the drive way and shut it off and get out and dont see the needles jumping. If it happens every time you turn off the engine I could except what you are saying. However, my truck just does it ever now and again.None the less thank you so much for your help.
Thanks
Johnny

·
Registered
569 Posts
My 2014 would do what you're describing. If I was in the truck when it did the weird needle dance it was very weird and a bit unnerving. In the engine bay there was always a series of electrical hums and clicks for several minutes after shutdown - people always thought the truck was haunted or something.

My 2021 ED doesn't have the same clicks and needle jumps but there are still sounds under the hood that I'm getting used to. I wonder if EV's have similar noises...?

Bob

·
Super Moderator
2016 SLT 4x4 Quadcab 3.53 with a cap
1,301 Posts
I didn't notice mine until I was sitting by the harbour fishing one morning, engine off and after 5-10 minutes, these weird buzzing, clicking got me worried too. Open the door and it started again.

·
Premium Member
2015 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Bighorn 4x4
465 Posts
My 2014 would do what you're describing. If I was in the truck when it did the weird needle dance it was very weird and a bit unnerving. In the engine bay there was always a series of electrical hums and clicks for several minutes after shutdown - people always thought the truck was haunted or something.

My 2021 ED doesn't have the same clicks and needle jumps but there are still sounds under the hood that I'm getting used to. I wonder if EV's have similar noises...?

Bob
Yes, EV's cooling fans run now and then when charging.

Reactions: TwoBobs
1 - 11 of 11 Posts