RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just received what I thought was going to be a Mopar OEM fuel filter 68235275AA. I got excited over the $20 price and free next day delivery through Amazon and didn't pay attention that it didn't say Mopar. What I received is a iFJF 68235275AA. It looks exactly like the Mopar filter in every way. Has anyone else ever used this brand?
Grant

·
Registered
529 Posts
So I just received what I thought was going to be a Mopar OEM fuel filter 68235275AA. I got excited over the $20 price and free next day delivery through Amazon and didn't pay attention that it didn't say Mopar. What I received is a iFJF 68235275AA. It looks exactly like the Mopar filter in every way. Has anyone else ever used this brand?
Grant
General consensus is stick with mopar for fuel filter. That being said, if you only went say 10k miles on it, it might be ok

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
If its made of the same type material and has the same micron rating I might consider it.

I have seen some of the aftermarket filters that appear to be pleated paper filters, I wouldn't trust one of those.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This thing looks, and feels, exactly like the Mopar filter other than a different name stamped on it. I've seen the pics on here of those blown out pleated filters. I've only used the Mopar up to this point. I'll update on how it works out.

·
Super Moderator
714 Posts
All I can say it looks exactly like the OEM one and the ECOgard XF10321. Others like the WIX 10245, PGF312 and GF5275 are just pleated. I wonder if the OEM and ECOgard just have an extra wrapping of filter material over the pleats.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Any updates on this? I am sure you won't know how it's performed until you change but have you noticed any negative symptoms. From the images it looks identical I'm just wondering about the micron rating etc.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Not only micron rating but what are its water separating abilities? Im all for saving money but concessions have to be made, I don't concede on filtering ability.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So far, about 2,600 miles, no change in performance that I've noticed. Or fuel mileage. Haven't checked for water separation. Probably won't for another 2,400 miles.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Think water separation is just a result of the gap below the filter. Fuel floats on top of waterl. If it builds up it triggers a float to alert the operator. Do not think water separation has anything to do with the filter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
A water separator should have a coalescing filter (silicon treated cellulose outer wrapper, or similar) to separate the water from the fuel. This wrapper prevents the water from passing through into the filtration media. Once stopped by the wrapper the water will coalesce into droplets big enough so gravity will pull them to the bottom of the bowl. There you can drain the water.

From what I have seen of the MOPAR part, they refer to it as a fuel filter / water separator. By that description I believe that the MOPAR fuel filter has a hydrophobic barrier ( water separating wrapper) that prevents water from passing into the filtration media and thereby causing the coalescing that removes the water from the fuel.

If the "pleated" filters do not say they are water separating, I would not use them. If you use these and then check to see if any water was separated and don't find any, you are too late, the game is over, or soon will be. As any water in the fuel has passed into the injectors.
With injectors closing at 2500 bar, or more, a water molecule will destroy the injector tip and orifice.

·
Registered
8 Posts
One other thing,for those of you in States that mandate biodiesel try your hardest to buy the lowest % you can. The Bio part of bio diesel can significantly reduce the water separators efficiency. Then you are back in the same boat, you open the drain and get no water and think "Great, I have really dry diesel in my area!" when really you have been passing the water to the injectors. Not good at all.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Sorry for digging up an ol* thread.

I've been using the Wix filter on both Ram & JGC eco-d without any issues until this week. I decided to change Ram filter due to smelling fuel & then seeing fuel dripping from fuel filter housing. I've attached a pic of the "original" filter & the filter I put in ~15k ago. The Wix is bulging out & I'm guessing either that was causing the leaking or a bad O-ring on the yellow drain nut. I replaced the drain nut today along with O-ring. Knock on wood, when I started it up... no more leak. Looks like I'll be going with the Mopar filter from now on. Stinks cause my local Napa carries the Wix & I don't have to order ahead of time. Filter pics.JPG

·
Registered
51 Posts
we were having crank time issues so i bought two ifjf filters and installed within 3,000 mi. of each other and both we distorted somewhat, the black plastic and the blue seal. Going to stick with mopar filter from now on.

·
Registered
530 Posts
^^^^^ Would be nice to use, but the postal cost for shipping to the great white north makes it really expensive. Fuel filter alone shipping cost is way more than the cost of the filter and then the $ conversion.

·
Registered
42 Posts
FCA will void your warranty if you have issues and they find a non-OEM filter.
Fuel related problems aren't usually covered under warranty anyway. In other words if you're using a genuine MOPAR filter, and it's not able to filter bad fuel well enough to avoid a problem, good luck getting warranty coverage.

I still use MOPAR fuel filters. Doing it yourself saves plenty of money, so $30 bucks on Amazon vs. what a dealer would charge is plenty good enough for me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
we were having crank time issues so i bought two ifjf filters and installed within 3,000 mi. of each other and both we distorted somewhat, the black plastic and the blue seal. Going to stick with mopar filter from now on.
Thanks for you report.
I haven't been on the forum since getting the claim check back in late July.

I am at about 11,000 on the iFJF filter. I had a CEL for P0087-Fuel Rail/System Pressure Too Low back on 05/31 at 4,000 miles on the filter, but didn't even think it might have to do with the filter at the time. Zero issues since clearing the code.
I usually change the fuel filter every other oil change, about 18,000 miles. I will probably change it a little early this time before doing a 3,000 mile round trip to Arkansas next month.
I will be ordering the Mopar OEM filter for that change, but will report on the iFPF filter condition when I pull it.
Averaging a little over 25MPG/tank, hand calculated, which is about 1MPG better than when using the Mopar OEM filters.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts