RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow, what fast turn around. I ordered the ECM and TCM tunes late Saturday and today, Monday, at 14:45 MDT I received an e-mail stating that everything had been shipped and the package should be here Thursday. This is great, I'll have the tunes installed in time for our trip to Glacier and Waterton National Parks. Woohoo!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I received the Hot Tune and Transmission Tune yesterday, right on time as promised. I now have a question. Which goes in first, the ECM or the trans tune?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I am not sure. I only did the ecm tune. If you called GDE I am sure you get a quick response back. Seeing a lot of people seem to have the ecm tune first and add the trans tune. Good luck with install.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just got an email from GDE, three words, "It doesn't matter." Those guys really have great support. :eek:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The ECM and Trans tunes will be installed tomorrow, Saturday. Had to go down to Salt Lake today to the national model railroad train show. I have my priorities, you know? ;)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got the ECM installed today, and the trans tune is waiting for the files from GDE to download. Have I noticed a difference? Yes! We were cruising a back road today when my wife asked if there was any power increase. I said, "Let's see" and stomped the pedal. The truck took off like a scalded cat. Wife said, "I guess so." She should know, as she is very familiar with the response from a big block hemi powered Plymouth Road Runner from the days before major government intervention. Can't wait to get the trans tune downloaded and installed.

One minor glitch in the ECM install. The hardest part was getting the doggone airbox out of the way. The glitch? Apparently pressing the throttle pedal three times didn't reset the oil life indicator because after about 10 miles I got the Oil Life depleted message. So I stopped and reset the oil life from the EVIC menu and all was fine as I had just changed oil a few days previously. The regeneration took about 20 minutes to complete after the install. The DEF gauge went right back to where it was before the install, even before I got the truck up to the 5 miles per hour minimum stated in the instructions.

Overall, very pleased.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Major Dad funny about the oil. I swear I did the reset right but I did the same thing. Lol
You'll have to fill me in on the trans tune. Really want that next.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Curious, Is the GDE tune & the TCM tune different modules or are they incorporated in the same module
The ECU tune and TCM tune are 2 separate
Tunes for 2 separate modules. One for the engine and one for the transmission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I installed the trans tune today. It works great driving around town, seems more crisp on the shifts and also seems to hold the power band longer. The install was very easy, except that when it started I saw all kinds of scary error messages on the EVIC that I wasn't prepared for. But everything came back together within a couple of minutes and I now have a very responsive, peppy truck.

Thanks, GDE for giving me what seems like a brand new vehicle.

·
Registered
24 Posts
major dad, I see you live in Nibley, I"m curious where you had the AEM installed since I live in Preston & it sounds like you are satisfied how they took care of you.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
major dad, I see you live in Nibley, I"m curious where you had the AEM installed since I live in Preston & it sounds like you are satisfied how they took care of you.
I had mine done at Heritage in North Logan. They seem to have a decent service team. It took about 3 hours to install because of the forced regen they are required to run to set everything to 0%. They have a courtesy shuttle that will take you back home or work if needed. I've never dealt with West in Preston, other than to test drive an eco because one wasn't available in Logan when I was shopping. I finally bought the truck (4 years ago) from Young out in Morgan and they seem to have a great service team as well.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Curious, Is the GDE tune & the TCM tune different modules or are they incorporated in the same module
The GDE hot tune is an ECM swap, and the GDE trans tune is uploaded with a programmer provided by GDE.

You copy the stock trans file, email it to them, and they reply quickly with the trans tune file. The stock trans tune must be current.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I installed the trans tune today. It works great driving around town, seems more crisp on the shifts and also seems to hold the power band longer. The install was very easy, except that when it started I saw all kinds of scary error messages on the EVIC that I wasn't prepared for. But everything came back together within a couple of minutes and I now have a very responsive, peppy truck.

Thanks, GDE for giving me what seems like a brand new vehicle.
Major Dad would you say at this point the trans tune is worth the money. Really interested in buying it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
major dad I may have missed it but did you have the hot tune prior to the AEM? If so did you keep it in case of future warranty work or send it in for the update, also I'm curious what affect the trans tune will have on mileage

1 - 20 of 23 Posts