RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know what FCA has done with the piston skirt or anything about the wrist pin diamond coat ? long story short as they say it looks like FCA Engineers are overly focused on MPG by reducing drag by the piston skirt, wrist pins and piston rings. I thought it odd an engine company would sacrifice the piston ring width to reduce drag, I have seen multiple broken rings on 1 piston trust me why make rings thinner for the sake of gaining 1 tenth of a kilometer in fuel savings ??

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
The diesel industry went to extremely thin Harden piston rings in the mid 90’s ..

My experience’s with these modern diesel improvements has been Very positive, except when a mechanic doesn’t have a clue what they are doing or they are Lazy..

The rings do not wear , But are extremely brittle.. My experience is with a clueless person using ether to prime the air out of the fuel system out of a diesel..

This WILL crack the rings and start the Diesel engine smoking and burning oil .. The rings are Brittle... But wear extremely well...

A modern well designed and taken care of diesel should last a Very long time , Because of the material / Design improvements due to the EGR requirements .....

·
Registered
225 Posts
Well, I've seen a few totally blown engines, and oil blowing out of the filler due to high engine pressure, and other various oil leaks from hoses and timing covers. Guys on this forum DENY that there are problems with the Gen 3 engine, I guess because they live in a bubble. Here's another just from today.

·
Administrator
8,906 Posts
Well, I've seen a few totally blown engines, and oil blowing out of the filler due to high engine pressure, and other various oil leaks from hoses and timing covers. Guys on this forum DENY that there are problems with the Gen 3 engine, I guess because they live in a bubble. Here's another just from today.

View attachment 87874
Show us the denial

·
Registered
2020 Limited ED 3.92 33gal
136 Posts
Show us the denial
I’ll deny there is anything wrong with my 2020 3gen motor @ 26,00miles, I am having at times the Pside mirror tilts down in reverse and does not go back to the home setting and haven’t got it 100% fixed yet, had the def tank replaced because the gauge wasn’t reading full.

Better to be in a bubble than, walking around with a stick up there.

Reactions: andymax

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Vast Majority of these motors are trouble free and incredible. They weren't on Wards 10 best engines list 'twice' for nothing.
Any link to Wards article ? It appears there is something wrong with the bottom end design and Ram seems to be at a loss as to what that is.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I enjoy driving my truck it does everything I need it to do the longevity and likely hood of an expensive problem is my concern. The Ward article only talks about the performance of the engine not much else.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Any link to Wards article ? It appears there is something wrong with the bottom end design and Ram seems to be at a loss as to what that is.
Why? B/C there has been some failures ? You can bet Ram has no problem with the few that have had problems or they would have stopped using them way before now. I have yet to meet someone outside this blog that has had any failure that i talk to in public. 'Gas stations, Super markets, lowes etc...

·
Registered
297 Posts
Why? B/C there has been some failures ? You can bet Ram has no problem with the few that have had problems or they would have stopped using them way before now. I have yet to meet someone outside this blog that has had any failure that i talk to in public. 'Gas stations, Super markets, lowes etc...
i have yet to run into another eco in the wild. Every ram I see around here has the hemi badge.
ive had guys say your putting diesel in, thinking I was making a mistake. I say yeah it’s an eco diesel. Even had one Silverado guy say I’ve never seen a diesel with duel exhaust.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Every manufacture out there has engine failures, Ford, GM, BMW, Volkswagen, Nissan, Honda, FCA, Mercedes, the list goes on. When you end up with one of the engines that fails it stinks but to act like every single engine will suffer the same fate is not true.

There are over 100,000 Ram ecodiesels that have been sold, plus what ecodiesels have been sold in other brands like Jeep and Alfa Romeo. If you read the internet you would think every single ecodiesel has or will fail but the truth is it is a small percentage that have failed. Have their been some teething problems? Sure, but they get worked out.

As for the bottom end, as manufactures continue to have to meet these EPA fuel economy guidelines the manufactures are going to reach a point when they keep going to lower viscosity grade oils where failures are going to start happening because as the viscosity grade gets lower the film protection of the oil decreases as well.

Having said this these current diesel emissions standards are a poor solution and are more prone to having trouble.

At one point they were talking about making gas powered vehicles use this DEF system as well.

·
Registered
131 Posts
i have yet to run into another eco in the wild. Every ram I see around here has the hemi badge.
ive had guys say your putting diesel in, thinking I was making a mistake. I say yeah it’s an eco diesel. Even had one Silverado guy say I’ve never seen a diesel with duel exhaust.
I see a lot of ecodiesels in Southwest Florida where I live, in fact I was on my Yamaha Star Venture Transcontinental in traffic at a light and was next to a Ram 1500 ecodiesel (Gen2 ecodiesel) and I was impressed with how quite it was, it was towing a boat. That is what got me to thinking about getting an ecodiesel and I ended up trading in my 2016 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi for my left over 2019 Ram 1500 Classic Laramie ecodiesel.

In the first two weeks of owning the new ecodiesel I purchased the Green Diesel Engineering EPA compliant Hot Tune/Trans Tune with the optional Regen Message and Exhaust Brake and so far the Truck has been great. I also went with Redline 15w-40 Group V Ester Synthetic Diesel oil as well and I am using K&N oil filters, the K&N oil filter is very well built made in Korea and K&N has a good reputation with their oil filters, these K&N oil filters for the ecodiesels are a very good deal as you can buy the Professional Series PS-7042 for $8.99 or the Performance Gold HP-7042 for $12.99 from K&N directly. The fuel filter I am sticking with MOPAR OEM from Geno's Garage for now because it is hard to find the micron rating on aftermarket fuel filters and the OEM MOPAR is a 3 micron spec.

I did see my first Ford F150 Powerstroke diesel the other day and I have yet to see one of the Chevy/GMC 1500 Duramax diesels on the road.

·
Administrator
8,906 Posts
Every manufacture out there has engine failures, Ford, GM, BMW, Volkswagen, Nissan, Honda, FCA, Mercedes, the list goes on. When you end up with one of the engines that fails it stinks but to act like every single engine will suffer the same fate is not true.

There are over 100,000 Ram ecodiesels that have been sold, plus what ecodiesels have been sold in other brands like Jeep and Alfa Romeo. If you read the internet you would think every single ecodiesel has or will fail but the truth is it is a small percentage that have failed. Have their been some teething problems? Sure, but they get worked out.

As for the bottom end, as manufactures continue to have to meet these EPA fuel economy guidelines the manufactures are going to reach a point when they keep going to lower viscosity grade oils where failures are going to start happening because as the viscosity grade gets lower the film protection of the oil decreases as well.

Having said this these current diesel emissions standards are a poor solution and are more prone to having trouble.

At one point they were talking about making gas powered vehicles use this DEF system as well.
I agree all manufacturers have issues, but nobody can deny when the ED's were failing at a rate of over 200 per month this was well beyond industry standards.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Where can you document this number that 200 ecodiesels per month were total engine failures requiring a new engine.

At best there was a claimed internal memo one saying 2% and another claiming 5% failure rate.

Now let's take your number and only 200 per month and just use 5 years as you stated over 200 ecodiesels per month we're failing.

200 x 60 (months) = 12,000 failed ecodiesels.

Now let's use the internal memos that have been reported on and do a 2% followed by a 5% failure rate.

100,000 - 2% = 2,000 failed ecodiesels.

100,000 - 5% - 5,000 failed ecodiesels.

Once you look at the numbers they are not nearly as bad as many on Internet forums are making them out to be.

Yes it stinks to be one of the people who had a problem, but between 95% to 98% of the people with an ecodiesel did not have this problem, FCA has made changes as problems have been identified, example dropping the 5w-30 grade oil and changing to a 5w-40 grade oil because a 40 grade oil has a stronger film strength than a 30 grade oil has.

Another example is the EGR cooler, it suffered metal fatigue so a redesigned EGR cooler correcting the metal fatigue issue was designed and a recall put out.

Overall the ecodiesel has not really been a bad engine, I submit many of the issues are people who look for the cheapest product to use with their ecodiesel trucks, from the cheapest filters to the cheapest oil they can find.

Aftermarket filters are fine as long as they meet the specs but many do not and are just cheap China knock offs.

I use aftermarket K&N oil filters on my ecodiesel, I would use Royal Purple oil filters but they don't make a filter for the ecodiesel that I am aware of. The K&N oil filters are very high quality and made in Korea.

When it comes to the fuel filter I am sticking with the MOPAR OEM for now because I haven't found an aftermarket fuel filter that I am satisfied meets the 3 micron spec.

When it comes to the oil I am using Redline Group V Ester Synthetic 15w-40 Diesel oil. A group IV PAO and a Group V Ester synthetic will out preform a Group III hydro-cracked conventional oil and here is a great example of the difference between a Group III conventional oil and a Group IV PAO/Group V Ester synthetic oil showing how the molecules provide protection to bearings and other parts:

88825B86-F6A3-440C-975C-534135CE7EBE_4_5005_c.jpeg

How many of the people who experienced an engine failure operated their ecodiesel like a gas engine instead of the low rpm high torque engine they are. You can't just start up a Diesel engine and take off redlining the tach, you are going to cause damage.

If the ecodiesel which is used in multiple FCA brands was as bad as Internet forums makes them out than FCA would have dropped the engine a long time ago.

My advice use a quality oil filter and aftermarket is fine, use the MOPAR fuel filter until an aftermarket fuel filter is identified that meets the 3 micron spec, for oil use a Group IV PAO or Group V Ester synthetic oil for the best protection and for fuel stick with known stations that are well maintained and sells a lot of diesel fuel. Air filters you can use aftermarket.

·
Administrator
8,906 Posts
In the first three years of production FCA was experiencing approx. 3,000 bottom end failures per year. I don't have accurate data for MY 2017 and later.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts