RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
James has the first Ecodiesel motor to hit 400,000 miles. Congrats James. For new readers my previous motor suffered over heats from a leaking EGR cooler and pushed a head gasket at 371k. My second motor is at 365k.

Also fwiw James is still on his original unmolested transmission. My original transmission went 695,000 before a simple Solenoid fail. In older transmissions that would be a quick easy cheap fix. Unfortunately this trans had it built into the board making it a non cost effective repair. Fortunately I found a relatively low mile trans off car-parts the salvage yard parts finder for about half the price of a dealer priced transmission repair so I swapped it in. All in all we’ve had good success with these transmissions despite heavy trailering use. Same can be said for the motor once aftermarket tune & delete.

IMG_4590[1].JPG

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Awesome to hear. Which trans fluid are you both using? Which motor oil?

Inquiring minds want to know lol.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Hi: VernDiesel... I have never changed tranny fluid in any vehicle I have owned. Should I be worried? Last pickup I owned, towed all of its life, and although a PITA to unbolt the dipstick the tranny fluid was checked every second oil change. Always red never burnt!!!
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Super Moderator
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
We both use Rotella T6 and Valvoline Max life. For people who tow often or heavy frequent checks of especially your rear differential is time well spent. Mine had a lot of metal wear in it again after only 60k since last fluid change. For newbs keep an eye on your degas tank (overflow bottle) coolant level. It should not be below the seam. Many still have not gotten the new EGR cooler or an EGR cooler delete kit and I hate to see these meet an early unnecessary demise.

Transmission fluid I do every 100k. By that time its no longer clean. The factory original fluid is green. The Max life I use is bright red. My trans wasn't worn out it simply had basically an on off switch fail.

Reactions: KRom and 3DHawkeye

·
Registered
2017 1500 Tradesman Ecodiesel 4x4 Quad Cab 3.55 Gears
1,038 Posts
We both use Rotella T6 and Valvoline Max life. For people who tow often or heavy frequent checks of especially your rear differential is time well spent. Mine had a lot of metal wear in it again after only 60k since last fluid change. For newbs keep an eye on your degas tank (overflow bottle) coolant level. It should not be below the seam. Many still have not gotten the new EGR cooler or an EGR cooler delete kit and I hate to see these meet an early unnecessary demise.

Transmission fluid I do every 100k. By that time its no longer clean. The factory original fluid is green. The Max life I use is bright red. My trans wasn't worn out it simply had basically an on off switch fail.
I can vouch for the diffs and changing the fluids. When I changed out the differentials at 35,000 miles, the lube was flat dirty and nasty looking. I had put over half the miles towing our RV TT all over the place, the big trip was Alaska to Florida and back and put on 14,500 miles alone. My 2017 never missed a lick.

I'm still running on the OEM EGR cooler, knock on wood. I am tuned pre 2019 GDE. 42,500 miles to date and no issues. Your experience is an inspiration and really pushes the necessity of working the Eco v6 engine and keeping things nice and hot, for long life. This is probably true for any diesel.

·
Registered
924 Posts
These trucks are pretty easy to maintain. Was rather surprised how easy the trans pan swap and fluid refill went. Just hit 100,000 miles with mine. Still feels like a new truck to me!

·
Registered
483 Posts
@VernDiesel Do you know about when James picked up his SFT tune?

Its awesome to see any truck with that type of mileage, I have no question we will continue to see more.

·
Registered
326 Posts
@VernDiesel Do you know about when James picked up his SFT tune?

Its awesome to see any truck with that type of mileage, I have no question we will continue to see more.
I have had 2 Ecodiesels now 2014 and now 2016, the Bosch fuel injection system is cutting edge area, the Bosch fuel injection on the Ecodiesel is lightning fast look after it with the Hotshot secret program. I see people post often about problems, just having a clean sensor from Hotshot diesel extreme causing soot to burn off is going to shut down problems, been there done that. I don't work for or have anything to do with Hotshot but you can cover an awful lot of potential problems with a regular Hotshot maintenance program. My truck is a running better for me as time passes but temperatures are dropping also so that affects stuff. An ounce of prevention prevents a shit storm of dollar bills down the drain. The Ecodiesel is a good design in theory, I don't think anybody anticipated the complexity of making all the components work together, this really is some good design because you have a 3 liter diesel with the heart of a lion. As you load up the engine the fuel economy falls off but just for a run around 1/2 ton when you don't need a work horse it's cheap, actually very versatile.

·
Super Moderator
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I thinks it’s proving a reliable and efficient work horse.. for common & appropriate 1/2 ton loads. Here’s James truck.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Hi: VernDiesel... My "Work horse" isn't working due to Co-Vivid 19. This pan Dem hic has really caused enough heartache for a lifetime. The EcoDiesel is but a small digression.
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Love to hear the positive reports!

Interesting note on the rear differential level to keep an eye on. I serviced my rear dif and it looked very dirty when draining at 92,000 miles. I serviced the front the following week and wished i would have caught it to put back in, it was clean and clear and the color of light beer. I use 4x4 on at least every other week or so as i operate in sand country.

·
Super Moderator
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry Dieseldragon it took a few trys. Your 5er and the trailers in James & my pictures would all be examples of trailers that the ED tows very comfortably and efficiently. 25/26' floorplans in the 6k range. Averages mid 15 mpgs towing at 65.

Reactions: JIM DANIEL and KRom
1 - 14 of 14 Posts