RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my recent health scare, I had to meet with an anti-coagulist at the VA. At one point, we needed to exchange some information and she asked if I had "secure" e-mail. I replied that I didn't and that was the end of that.

Until yesterday. I met with my new doctor (old doctor resigned) and she asked the same question. However, she went on to ask if I was signed onto My Health e Vet. So I looked that up when I got home and there is lots of information there for Vets.

I'm sure some of you already knew about this, but, what the heck. I'm sure somebody didn't know--I didn't.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I applied for a VA card but was turned down. Said I make too much money. I didn't want the bennies, just a 10% off at Lowes :)

USAF active duty 1978-82. 49 months

PA Air Guard. 1983-1986.

Honorable Discharge X 2.

Reactions: arkie 16

·
Registered
517 Posts
Lots of new info out there. I encourage all who served to check into things again...

·
Registered
74 Posts
I applied for a VA card but was turned down. Said I make too much money. I didn't want the bennies, just a 10% off at Lowes :)

USAF active duty 1978-82. 49 months

PA Air Guard. 1983-1986.

Honorable Discharge X 2.
FYI- All you need is a copy of your DD214 for a discount at Lowe's, Home Depot etc. I keep it in my wallet, works all the time.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
FYI- All you need is a copy of your DD214 for a discount at Lowe's, Home Depot etc. I keep it in my wallet, works all the time.

Lowes gives a vet discount 3 days per year. Memorial Day, July 4 and Vets day. That's for those who only have a Hon Discharge ( DD 214). For the rest of the year , you must present. Government issued ID card and the only card that exists is a VA card.

My county issues a " Veteran Card" which can only be gotten by showing your DD 214. Lowes accepted it fir a few months but no more, you must have the VA card. This card does give discounts at various businesses. Even my drivers license has a veterans designation on it, but it isn't enough.

Believe me , I tried.

FCA only recognizes currently serving vets , retired vets and those who were discharged within the last 12 months. So someone like me who got out in 1982 is not considered worthy of being a vet. Gm will give any kind of vet a vet discount. No strings attached.

·
Registered
966 Posts
My DD214 was issued in 1969 and I carry it with me whenever we travel across south Texas. Invariably we get stopped at the Immigration check-point (or Homeland Security check points down by Big Bend National Park and since neither my wife nor I are US citizens, I like to have as much "good stuff" as I can to facilitate passage. We carry our "Green Cards" for the same reason :D

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Thanks for sharing Ziggy.

I use MyHealtheVet. I like to use it to keep track of appointments, look at labs etc. I've tried to use it for appointment scheduling, but it is easier to call on the phone, unfortunately. My Dr and her Nurse aren't too great about embracing the new way of doing things. In time, I'm sure this will be more widely used.

I also use the VA's eBenefits portal for claims and keeping track of how excruciatingly long it takes to get anywhere with the claims process. It is a whole lot better than calling the 800 number!

·
Registered
11 Posts
The VA will provide care for all veterans and salary dictates how much the deductible will be. Talk to a service officer from the VFW or the American Legion they can help you. My Healthy Vet is awesome, you can do a tremendous amount of things on that sight. I use it to order all my meds and they are delivered to my house and if I need a refill on a RX just go to secure messaging and contact your primary care.
oooraahh!

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Speaking of Veteran discounts. I keep one of these caps in the truck and wear it every place I go to shop or eat. Get 10% discounts many times with out saying a word. Have never been asked for my Retired Military ID Card once. Retired 1972 after 20 plus years of service.
DSCN0754.JPG

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Florida has multiple combat plates, campaign plates, and generic Veteran plates to include Purple Heart plate....Ooorah

1 - 16 of 16 Posts