RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help figuring out what I should be looking at.

About two weeks ago while idling for about 20 minutes I noticed a little louder than usual noise from under the truck. Almost like the in tank sump pump but louder. I shut the truck off. When I went to start it it cranked over for a long time then started and was quiet.

The next day I was pulling a light trailer and side by side (4000lbs max). I stopped at a hardware store and the noise was there so I went looking and it sounds like it is coming exactly from the injection pump. So I shut it off. Then got what I needed and the truck started right up and was quiet. Then going up a small hill pulled P0087 (low rail pressure) I pulled over ASAP. Swapped the trailer to another truck. My truck started and seemed fine. I took it straight home and changed the filter. Keyed the truck on and let it cycle. I did this 6 times and the truck ran fine and quiet up until just now.

Today I took it out to the car wash and on the way back I noticed the whine is back but not nearly as bad as it was. At the hardware store it was LOUD.

I'm straight piped with a GDE off road tune. Delete work done at 90k truck has 142k miles on it now. The truck rarely sees more than 3,000 rpm. Fuel mileage is as expected and power is like it always was. It's just got that whine occasionally.

Ya'all think I should start with the in tank pump replacement or do you think it's the high pressure injection pump?

Thanks for any help,
Jeff

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
5,169 Posts
Maybe try changing the fuel filter? Even if it's not due yet, it could be doing it's job and is slightly plugged up.
Similar to gassers, I'm guessing there is a way to check the fuel pressure from the lift pump. In the grand scheme of things, changing the lift pump could be cheap insurance if you think it's failing compared to HPFP failing due to being starved of fuel.

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
When lift pumps go bad many of folks claim to hear a loud whining noise from the fuel tank , myself I tee’d my fuel line and added a fuel pressure sender gauge to my Edge, I’m old school diesel ,I like a fuel pressure gauge , takes out soooo much guessing.....Good Luck and keep us posted on the outcome ...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HNG,

It's too bad these trucks don't simply look at the fuel pressure between the tank and the injection pump. I have an edge monitor on my truck. I'll have to look into adding a fuel pressure sender and how to tie it all in. I'm going to try and track down an in tank pump tomorrow. I have just throwing parts at it, but if it is the injection pump I would install a new in tank pump anyway.

JLM

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
B6EE03EA-C686-4C3A-8FC2-16C8925FC877.jpeg . I just tee’d my fuel line and purchased a daisy chain set up from Edge along with a 1-100psi pressure sender , Then you update your Edge to add fuel pressure screen, Now it’s easy to add a real oil pressure gauge once you’ve purchased a daisy chain.
The Edge Daisy chain is a very helpful addition ,kinda never ending what you can do with it ....Again I’m old school, I like knowing what’s happening,but not a bunch of gauges mounted every where, I outgrew that phase of life ,There’s so much an Edge can do ...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have an Update. The in tank fuel pump is on a national back order. I called every RAM dealer around and no good. Nothing available aftermarket or on line. I was told by the closest dealer next available shipment would be 3/18. So I ordered on to make sure I didn't miss out. It came in yesterday. With tax $517 - OUCH!!

I installed it this afternoon. I'd call this job easy - depending on your adversity tolerance. Seriously though I did it in my shop. I would not hesitate to do this in a driveway. I looked at some Youtube videos. They were all for gas engines and for some reason they seemed more difficult. I have a video but for some reason YouTube aborts it at around 97% uploaded.

So here's your TIPs if you decide to do this. I'm not going to go over everything - just the TIPS. Located next to the tank fill and vent lines is a smaller 1/4" line with push connector - Disconnect all these. At the front of the tank is a quick connect for the return line - disconnect it. Lower the tank a couple inches, find the electrical plug - disconnect it. Near the front of the tank is a plastic bracket that holds the two DEF lines - Disconnect the bracket (pops off) or pull the lines out of the bracket. Lower the tank a few more inches. Now you should be able to pop the line off the tank that goes to the filter. Either disconnect at the tank or at the filter. Now you can lower the tank to the ground.

I supported the axle only high enough to get the tire off. I jacked the frame up high enough to get the tank out. This also gave me room to get my head and hands around the tank and driveshaft to disconnect the plug. You can look in from the wheel well and see whats going on with the top of the tank once you remove the inner fender.

By far the biggest problem (most time consuming) was messing with the connectors on the fuel pump. The electrical one was pretty straight forward. I had no idea what was going on with the line to the filter. I should have just disconnected it at the filter.

I did this with a little less than 1/4 tank. The weight wasn't an issue. At a 1/4 tank the fuel pump is mostly out of the fuel. I would always run the tank down to almost nothing. Many times the light would come on. Many, many, many times.

I encountered zero pressurized fuel in ANY of the lines. Don't know if that's normal?

I'm going to put some fuel in it tomorrow and start it.

Take care.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: Put some more fuel in it today and keyed the ignition on and left it on until the in tank pump stopped. Then turned it off. I did that 7 times and it started quicker than before. I took it for a ride. Then later I filled it up and took a 2 hour trip. It started like it should every time during that trip. I heard no whine under the hood or under the truck. The new in tank pump certainly sounds different than the one I replaced. It sounds now like it did when the truck was new. I believe the in tank pump was the issue. That's certainly what I'm hoping.

JLM

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have an Update. The in tank fuel pump is on a national back order. I called every RAM dealer around and no good. Nothing available aftermarket or on line. I was told by the closest dealer next available shipment would be 3/18. So I ordered on to make sure I didn't miss out. It came in yesterday. With tax $517 - OUCH!!

As posted by VernDiesel in another thread, lift pumps are available.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...fuel+&+air,fuel+pump+&+housing+assembly,10147

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
RATS! I never thought about Rock Auto. Mopar Parts online had nothing.

I was worried about aftermarket quality. To be honest holding the OEM one had me wondering if you could make it any cheaper. The OEM looks EXACTLY like the two pictures on RockAuto.

JLM

1 - 11 of 11 Posts