RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,
I decided to fix my 2015 Tow mirror that would not stay in the normal position. I removed the cap and found what is in the picture. A lots of white powder escaped from the inside. I had to clean it and put anti rust stuff to prevent from rusting again. I can’t believe how corroded (oxidized) it is.
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Car Automotive side-view mirror Vehicle

·
Registered
113 Posts
I posted something similar in the winter. I couldn't believe the corrosion. The drivers side wasn't as bad. The aluminum is originally painted.... But that can only do so much. I still haven't fixed or replaced mine.... I have cardboard shoved under to limit the movement.

My ultimate plan is to replace the tow mirrors with newer ones that as re power fold and enable that function with Alfa.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I imagine this is mainly in snow country???? our mild winters we are fortunate that not a lot of road prep is required, but one year the county used calcium chloride (I believe it was) and that stuff was terrible on leather and aluminum

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
I posted something similar in the winter. I couldn't believe the corrosion. The drivers side wasn't as bad. The aluminum is originally painted.... But that can only do so much. I still haven't fixed or replaced mine.... I have cardboard shoved under to limit the movement.

My ultimate plan is to replace the tow mirrors with newer ones that as re power fold and enable that function with Alfa.

Hi: Old Iron 1978... IMHO if aluminum isn't "Pickled" properly the paint just won't stick no matter where it's located!!!
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts