RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After reading a couple posts about the block heater being factory installed and all I needed was the cord I decided to pull the trigger. After the install of the cord I quickly realized I was in need of another solution as opening the hood every time I wanted to plug in was getting to be a pain. I came back here to do more reading and found the NOCO Genius GCP1 AC Port Plug. It looked promising. It comes in very nice packaging and even comes with the mounting screws. The total install time is probably less than 15 minutes once you have the tools gathered up. You will need a 2" hole saw, a drill, and screw driver. A couple ty-wraps (zip ties), not included would also be helpful. I have posted pics (hopefully) for your viewing pleasure. FYI I plugged a Kill-A-Watt meter to the block heater and it pulls about 377 watts.

Cya, Greg

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,522 Posts
Great job. Thanks for posting up the watts being used.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Did the same modification except I have the tow hooks so the plug had to go down on the air dam underneath

·
Registered
663 Posts
That's cool and all, but why would you have to open the hood every time without it? Mine just hangs out between the grille and headlight.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Also to protect against water damage. My block heater cord on my 2001 corroded, shorted and caught fire a few years ago. I was lucky enough to notice the flames coming from the burning trim on the bumper before the truck burt to the ground in the driveway. Keeping the cord under the hood keeps it dry and safe.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
For those who have mounted yours on the bottom air dam, does the cover fit tight enough that it does not pop open when you are out driving?

·
Super Moderator
2,522 Posts
image.jpeg
For those who have mounted yours on the bottom air dam, does the cover fit tight enough that it does not pop open when you are out driving?
Yes. I made sure I mounted the plug so the hinge was towards the front so airflow would tend to close it if it were to come loose.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
I just ordered mine since I do not like the cord hanging out of the hood by the light.
I have tow hooks so can not install like the OP although that looks very neat and clean.
May locate under air dam like Mopar73340.

Also thought of a folding front license plate and putting the plug behind it anyone do that?
I have not looked as to what is behind the license plate yet.

·
Super Moderator
2,522 Posts
I just ordered mine since I do not like the cord hanging out of the hood by the light.
I have tow hooks so can not install like the OP although that looks very neat and clean.
May locate under air dam like Mopar73340.

Also thought of a folding front license plate and putting the plug behind it anyone do that?
I have not looked as to what is behind the license plate yet.
The folding license plate is a neat idea if you can make it happen. My truck has metal chrome bumpers. The existing plate bracket is easy to remove. You will need to drill the bumper for both the folding bracket and the heater plug as the existing bumper only has the mounting holes for the existing bracket and is solid behind the existing bracket.

image.jpeg

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I just ran my cord out by the passenger side tow hook. Tucks in when not in use, easy to fish out when needed (about 4-5 months/year).

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just ran my cord out by the passenger side tow hook. Tucks in when not in use, easy to fish out when needed (about 4-5 months/year).
Ditto, I did mine the same way. I almost bought that port when I looked at the bumper up close and noticed a big hole where the tow hook was.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Installing mine today. Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I wanted to add that a good wrap of black electrical tape might be a good option to prevent water and salt from getting into the plugs. I did a couple of wraps on mine around the plug connections to seal them as a precaution. While your under there you might as well do it all at the same time. A corroded plug a few years down the line would be a pain in the butt to splice and replug.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts