RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evidently, I have a air leak in either the intake of the intake manifold gasket. Mine is a 2017 ECOD 4x2 and the problem happened on my way to work one morning. The dealer wanted $5K to fix it, I elected not to pay them to do this. I paid for a tune and exhaust delete afterward, as a Diesel performance shop said he couldn't find the leak. He said this would "fix" my problem.....Fast forward to today, and I keep getting the P0299 code. Since I now know there is an air leak, I was going to try the intake repair myself, and understand the depth of the whole thing. What I can't understand is why it's not covered under the warranty. I have right around 50K, but I guess since it is not internal engine, its not covered. Any manuals or diagrams out there you guys would recommend here? I considered getting the Banks intake, but not sure, since it may not be the intake manifold.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I'd make darned sure that you are not experiencing the dreaded EGR failure and have a hole melted in the manifold. That would certainly be a warrantee as there is a recall and a chance of a fire! The Banks unit looks very well made ,but of course would void warrantee. If you do the Banks, I'd delete the EGR cooler pos and get a delete tune. I guess it could be a turbocharger going south, but they don't seem to be as problematic as the EGR cooler.

Reactions: Ecosparky

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Let me get this straight. The diesel performance shop couldn't find the source of the P0299 code yet you trusted them to tune your truck?

The shop should be on the hook for this if they told you the tune would take care of the code.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Ecosparky -no, the EGR is intact. @Bounty Hunter-yes, I let him tune the truck, I was brand new to the whole thing and the EcoD was brand new to me. I wanted to do the EGR delete before all this happened, and I was travelling. Hindsight is definitely 20/20 at this point....That shop is over 400 miles from me. The whole thing started at the beginning of the pandemic, and I had to leave it there, waiting for months to get anything done to it. By the time he actually got tgo a point to where I could drive it, I wanted it back in my town so I could get more done........I had a hard time believing that a intake gasket went bad at less than 50K miles is the reason I believed him. Now I know a lot more about intake pressures inside this thing and get it. I just can't bring myself to drive it back down there to get him to do more.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Don't take it back. Do your research. Avoid fly-by-night tuners because you have no idea what software is going into your truck. Go with a reputable tuner.

You can always reach out to that shop and find out where they got the tune, who did the actual programming.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't take it back. Do your research. Avoid fly-by-night tuners because you have no idea what software is going into your truck. Go with a reputable tuner.

You can always reach out to that shop and find out where they got the tune, who did the actual programming.
Thanks, I'm a lot more informed now. I'm looking into the air leak and have to determine if the dealership will warranty the issue, if they deem it necessary, or determine if I am ready to tackle the repair myself.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Clean the MAP sensor. It might just be plugged with soot. You likely spoiled any warranty you might have had with the exhaust delete

1 - 8 of 8 Posts