RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would it be worth my time, effort, and expense to pull the intake manifold and clean it?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Depends......have you got performance issues, engine codes or such? Or would it just be peace of mind?

·
Super Moderator
3,790 Posts
I second that. If not just get an EGR off tune and delete the EGR cooler so as to eliminate both the fire and the coolant loss risks. Your warranty is already expired so it’s a no brainer.

I like the fuelie link. Only 51k you could run this truck a long time.

·
Premium Member
2015 RAM 1500 CC 4x4
5,186 Posts
I put everything through a cost benefit in my head. Is it worth what it will cost you?

How long have you had it? How long do you plan to keep it?

I have no codes 110,000 miles on mine and im not doing anything till I have issues with it. I am GDE EPA compliant tuned, it is nowhere near what the old tune was.

·
Super Moderator
3,790 Posts
MAS didn’t you used to have GDE’s pre intervention tune? If so how did you lose it?

·
Premium Member
2015 RAM 1500 CC 4x4
5,186 Posts
MAS didn’t you used to have GDE’s pre intervention tune? If so how did you lose it?
I was cheap and didn't originally get the spare ECM and waited too long to get the AEM done. In my mind the compliant tune is similar to the original stock FCA tune my 2015 came with. I sure miss the Original GDE tune, it was more responsive, and definitely got better fuel economy.

·
Premium Member
5,351 Posts
If you're worried about deposits in the intake manifold, get a stage 1 tune and remove the EGR diffuser tube, or remove the EGR completely. Then just run it as manifold deposits shouldn't increase.

If you're getting a swirl valve trouble code, then remove the intake and clean or replace.

I wouldn't worry about it for preventative maintenance unless you're set on keeping the stock ecm tune.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Depends......have you got performance issues, engine codes or such? Or would it just be peace of mind?
Just pissing me off. Throttle response appears to be a bit off. Coughing a lot when going from a full/near full stop up to rolling. Happens when warmed up. If I punch the throttle its not as noticable but the family gets a bit grumpy and it's not helping my tires any. Fuel usage is as expected. Still pulls our trailer fine. Still have DPF loading issues but that I suspect is either the DPF going south or the differential pressure sensor on the DPF.

I second that. If not just get an EGR off tune and delete the EGR cooler so as to eliminate both the fire and the coolant loss risks. Your warranty is already expired so it’s a no brainer.

I like the fuelie link. Only 51k you could run this truck a long time.

Second engine. I bought the truck from the dealer after they replaced the engine from previous owner. He traded for a Hemi they gave him a sweet deal on back in 2017 after the front cylinders stopped getting oil (per dealer statement). Truck just turned 122k miles.

Tune and delete are out of the question. Wife won't pay for it. I wanted to get a Spring 1903 at the local shop for $1800 and she dang near stretched me out on the rack for suggesting it. I even moved down to a Rem 788 and she became so cross she kicked me out of the doghouse. Now I live in a tree with the local squirrel family.

Well, thanks all of the discussion. I was just thinking the other day that I could put it in my in-laws shop next summer and tear into the manifold and clean it all. Figured it was too pricey and too much work for the benefit. Didn't kill me to ask.

·
Premium Member
2,343 Posts
I've used and abused my 2015 since buying it new. It now has 98,000 miles and still runs good. I won't touch the engine until the AEM warranty runs out. Once the AEM warranty runs out, then I'll have the intake and turbo coolant hose replaced.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Just pissing me off. Throttle response appears to be a bit off. Coughing a lot when going from a full/near full stop up to rolling. Happens when warmed up. If I punch the throttle its not as noticable but the family gets a bit grumpy and it's not helping my tires any. Fuel usage is as expected. Still pulls our trailer fine. Still have DPF loading issues but that I suspect is either the DPF going south or the differential pressure sensor on the DPF
You didn't mention getting any codes? I can't really comprehend how it can be coughing at mild acceleration and not making the dash light up like a Christmas tree. We're not talking an old carburetor gas truck here that's not getting fuel.....like is it missing or stumbling? Run some fuel injector cleaner.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts