RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About two weeks back I noticed on my way home from work that the check engine light came on. It was about due for an oil change; I take it to a smaller shop that almost exclusively works on trucks; they are good guys and they use good parts.

I had them look over the codes (I don't have an OBD reader yet); they came back P200A, and P2D2D. They recommended I take it to a dealer to see if it would fall under some sort of warranty.

I had the EGR recall scheduled so I was planning on taking it to the dealership anyways later that week. When I went to the Dealership I was somewhat hoping that the EGR work would clear the code (wasn't sure if the parts were related or not?). Anyways the EGR work did not clear the codes.

So on 4.16 I agreed to pay the dealership the $160 for them to do the code diagnostic themselves (they "wouldn't accept the other shops read/paperwork), and to check into it.

They called me later that day to let me know that the intake manifold needed to replaced; and that the truck was currently dissembled, and that I would need a new part.

They stated that parts and labor would be just under $2k. Ouch! They said they should have the part in on Monday, so I could expect to pick up on late Monday or early Tuesday.

When I called in on Tuesday, apparently the service guy who was helping me was out with Covid, and no one really new what was going on with my truck, or when it would be done.

I called in Friday (4.23) and talked to a different service rep from the dealership. He said the truck wasn't done, and when I asked when it would be done (ie in two days or three days?) he dodged the question by stating, "it is not possible to get done today; the mechanic is waiting on more parts, and has had a lot of broken bolts."

---

Not quite sure what is going on there. Perhaps the mechanic is fine, and it is just incredibly poor communication. It definitely seems that at this dealership that when one service rep is out, that no one is taking ownership for what is on their docket. The service rep I talked to on 4.23, couldn't even tell me what the final bill might be.

--

All that being said does everything seem on the level to you guys? I am not a confrontational person, and my mechanical prowess is non-existent. I am the 3rd owner of the 2015 ED, so I am guessing this doesn't fall under any sort of warranty.

Thanks!

Tundra

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Covid is now the excuse used for every delay these days whether it really is or isn't.
I would question why the intake needs replacing? It is plastic. Is it melted? is there a hole in it?
If yes, then this should be covered under the EGR cooler recall?
I know some others here have fought this same fight and won.
I would file a Star claim with FCA or contact RamCares here on the forum. Good luck.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would question why the intake needs replacing? It is plastic. Is it melted? is there a hole in it?
If yes, then this should be covered under the EGR cooler recall?
I know some others here have fought this same fight and won.
I would file a Star claim with FCA or contact RamCares here on the forum. Good luck.
I did not think to ask why it was being replaced, I will definitely ask the dealership. that now.

Specifically how are these parts related? Before I went to the Dealership I had been under the assumption that the EGR recall would replace the intake manifold.

I did message RamCares, so we shall what happens there.

·
Administrator
9,478 Posts
I did not think to ask why it was being replaced, I will definitely ask the dealership. that now.

Specifically how are these parts related? Before I went to the Dealership I had been under the assumption that the EGR recall would replace the intake manifold.

When the dealer replaces the EGR they are supposed to inspect the intake manifold and replace if necessary. WARRANTY!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When the dealer replaces the EGR they are supposed to inspect the intake manifold and replace if necessary. WARRANTY!
This is very good to know.

What is the best way to call the dealership out on this, for not following through? I presume there is some document that spells out their responsibilities when conducting recall work?

Thanks,

Tundra

·
Registered
450 Posts
Between the egr recall and the extended emission warranty would expect it to be covered.
How many miles on the truck?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Then it should also be covered by the 100,000 mile power train.
Then when the truck had the emission recall done to that warranty got extended even more.
Also look up;
Extended Emission Warranty
3.0L Diesel
I do see that the intake manifold is not listed in the extended warranty, but it should be covered by the egr recall.
Also notice on the extended warranty any diagnostic charges are covered.

·
Administrator
9,478 Posts
This is very good to know.

What is the best way to call the dealership out on this, for not following through? I presume there is some document that spells out their responsibilities when conducting recall work?

Thanks,

Tundra
I don't have the document, but it's been posted here before. If the dealer doesn't cooperate, you can contact customer care and ask for assistance.

RamCares participates on this forum and perhaps you can start a discussion with them. RamCares

·
Registered
72 Posts

Hi Tundra,
We responded to your PM, please take some time to review it and get back with us at your earliest convenience.

Rob
Ram Cares

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Tundra,
We responded to your PM, please take some time to review it and get back with us at your earliest convenience.

Rob
Ram Cares
Thanks for the PM. I responded.

---

I called the dealership this morning, and the original service rep I was working with is back at the dealership (so I alteast have a point of contact again who is aware of what is going on).

I read him the NHTSA (19V-757 ) recall which states that: "FCA US will conduct a voluntary safety recall on all affected vehicles to replace the EGR cooler with a new EGR cooler that is not susceptible to thermal fatigue. In the event the intake manifold is damaged, the intake manifold will be replaced."

He said he wasn't aware of the specifics and would call me back.

---

I got a call back message this afternoon, and he stated, "for the EGR Recall to cover replacement of the manifolld intake, that the EGR would have to be leaking into manifold, or the manifold would have to send a special code." (neither of which were the two codes I had P200A, and P2D2D).

I still did not find out what was wrong specifically with the intake manifold than it needs to be replaced. I also feel like what the NHTSA document says, and what the Dealership stating are different?

---

The service rep also stated in his message that "for the glowplug repair, that they would be waiting on parts for 2-3 weeks; so they would hang onto the truck until then."

Do glow plugs have anything to do with the EGR or the intake Manifold? Those are the only two things I authorized them to work on.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Talked to the dealership today...

I asked the service advisor I have been working with.

"Why are are we waiting on glow-plugs."

He said "because that is one of the things you asked us to work on."

I said I did not remember discussing that with him. He then stated that we must discussed it; otherwise they wouldn't be working on it, indicating we had talked a few weeks ago (he was kinda saying "so who knows?" and making it seems subjective).

After the call ended I went and looked at my call notes from when I talked to him on 4.16; we most definitely did not discuss the Glowplugs.

So I called him back and asked him to go talk to the tech, and to see what codes had come up with on 4.16 , and why they were working on the glow plugs (the truck started just fine before I brought it in).

---

So he calls me back. And lets me know that they had actually never discussed replacing the glow plugs with me; and that they were being replaced, because the mechanic had broken it in process of replacing the intake manifold! The way the service advisor put it; was that this was "collateral damage," and that in process the plug had been bent, and got stuck and broke when it came out; he then said sagely "these things happen with older vehicles."

He then had the gall to state that my bill would be a few hundred more because of this.

When I suggested that perhaps they should cover the cost of this, as they broke the part. He said "that they were not responsible; and that this happens with older vehicles and old parts."

---

This is getting ridiculous!

They are keeping the truck for two extra weeks to do work I did not authorize them to do, because they broke a part, that they want me to pay for.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I've heard some dealership horror stories, but this ranks among the top. I'm really sorry that you have to deal with this. You better utilize Ram Cares to the maximum extent possible, because I've already lost count at all the mistakes your dealer has made. I could be wrong, but isn't the service advisor required to make you sign a work order before any work is started? The work order is a contract between you and the dealer agreeing to the parts, labor, and cost to have the work repaired.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I can't imagine telling a customer to expect to pay for parts and labor that we broke during a repair. So if they scratch the fender while working on your engine will they send it to their paint shop and add this to your invoice?
Ram Cares needs to do the right thing here.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I sent a long PM to Ram Cares indicating the current problems going on, and it included 5-page PDF listing dates, times, names, and conversation details for every interaction with this particular Dealership.

I also left a voicemail with the dealership GM, who apparently is out today, informing him of the situation and asking what he can do to rectify the situation.

So the ball is in the Dealership/Ram/FCA's court at the moment; although if I don't hear back soon I will be reaching out the BBB for the dealership and the NHTSA regarding the recall.

Until then; I will picture all the work I could be getting done with my truck... o_O

1 - 20 of 48 Posts