RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
I sent a long PM to Ram Cares indicating the current problems going on, and it included 5-page PDF listing dates, times, names, and conversation details for every interaction with this particular Dealership.

I also left a voicemail with the dealership GM, who apparently is out today, informing him of the situation and asking what he can do to rectify the situation.

So the ball is in the Dealership/Ram/FCA's court at the moment; although if I don't hear back soon I will be reaching out the BBB for the dealership and the NHTSA regarding the recall.

Until then; I will picture all the work I could be getting done with my truck... o_O
Hi Tundra,
We apologize for any dissatisfaction. We responded to your message.

Rob
Ram Cares

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
So I just got off the phone with RAM/FCA Corporate and their position is the same of that as the dealership regarding the VB1 Recall; being that because the problem with the intake manifold has to do with the swirl, that they will not replace it.

And unless there is someone (I have heard rumors) that has had the NHTSA go to bat for them over this exact issue and won, I am probably going to just eat the cost.

Not the answer I was hoping for, not my favorite month for a large unexpected repair bill, but I understand. I was very thankful for RAM/FCA's quick processing of the situation, and everyone I spoke to was quite friendly (which is something these days). And it was good to have confirmed that at least on this issue the dealership was playing straight.

I really would have preferred the option of going to my normal mechanic to have the intake manifold replaced though; it would have been cheaper, and they don't have a history of breaking stuff! :cry:
---

The RAM/FCA associate I spoke with did state that, "If a dealership breaks something in a repair, that is expected that the dealership cover the associated costs, rather than the customer." They then noted that they could not a force a dealership to do this, which I understand.

---

So at this point since I have not heard back from the dealership GM regarding resolving things, I have moved forward with the BBB complaint regarding the business, as at minimum they should cover the glow plugs (repair and labor), the OBD scan (under the AEM extended warranty), and a set of wheels would be nice to have during all of this.

Under the state law, what the dealership did with breaking the part and then deciding to perform work and charge more without discussion is not Kosher. So there is that as well.

Tundra

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I have no doubt the swirl valves are caked in soot and sludge caused by a defective egr/egr cooler.
FCA should pay for the new manifold. FCA......you suck once again.

edit: I would tell the dealer to take the removed intake, do not clean it, place it in a garbage bag for you to pick up and take for an independent inspection.
It may even be partially distorted or melted from excessive heat.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I have no doubt the swirl valves are caked in soot and sludge caused by a defective egr/egr cooler.
FCA should pay for the new manifold. FCA......you suck once again.

edit: I would tell the dealer to take the removed intake, do not clean it, place it in a garbage bag for you to pick up and take for an independent inspection.
It may even be partially distorted or melted from excessive heat.
I am guessing intake manifold they replaced is already gone, as they replaced it a few weeks ago, and the service representative's have not been helpful. Local regulations only require them to keep it if I asked them ahead of time (I didn't think of that at the time).

Learned my lesson on that one, should have spoken up to have it taken elsewhere as well and not gone for the, "we already have the truck apart so you can't drive it" bit too... Would have expected this from a shady mechanic, not a dealership.

I understand that mistakes happen, that is part of life and while they can be sometimes be avoided they cannot always be fully mitigated. What sets a business or manufacturer apart is what they do to rectify a crappy situation. So far this dealership has done anything to that regard. Too bad Ram is unwilling to have "chat" with dealership about this as well, I had thought a little better of them.

That is the mind blowing thing to me about this whole situation; my normal mechanic is much more professional.

1) They know more about what is covered under warranty (ie take my truck to the dealership) than the this particular dealership does.
2) They actually document everything. They send me pics while they are working on stuff.
3) If my main guy is out, someone else can always help me out.
4) They always know exactly what things will cost, and get me that ahead of time.
5) We discuss what exact parts are being used and why, they don't mind my questions.

---

At this point I just need to get it drivable so my wife and I can get back to working normally.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Too bad Ram is unwilling to have "chat" with dealership about this as well, I had thought a little better of them.
Years ago, Chrysler had the FIVE STAR DEALER QUALITY PROGRAM. Each dealership would bend over backwards to earn their STARS. Customer satisfaction was a huge part of earning those stars. It's too bad that Chrysler (Stellantis) and their dealerships don't have that same customer satisfaction focus. You can read more about the program here: The Chrysler Five Star Dealer Quality Program (1997-2010)

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
This reads like an all too often dealer service experience, it's unfortunate when a dealer is clearly 'revenue' focused to this point:

1. Performed unauthorized tear-down without prior approval from owner
2. Lied about dealer mechanic who is supposed to be a professional who damages a prior functioning part. Service advisor stated was 'collateral damage'.
3. The general manager not willing to discuss a customers issue.
4. In ability to communicate with you in the time frame they provided.

These types of dealers are the sorts that give reputable business a bad name. The sorts where Service advisors are really 'Sales advisors', warranty work doesn't generate significant revenue and ties up service from the more desirable cash customer. These places take advantage of those who have few or no options and think nothing of it.

Your instincts are correct a reputable dealer works in stages, customer -> advisor -> issue -> mechanic -> report -> customer decision -> yes / no . It's not rocket science.

I'm sorry this has been your experience, I'd encourage you to if possible get it towed to your preferred shop or dealer or home and gather your notes, documentation and prepare to escalate this with FCA. I can understand your frustration and most would be worn out if in this situation clearly they 'dealership' count on this. Don't get discouraged they likely work this angle regularly its no different that dealing with criminals, the dealership simply takes the attitude 'What ya gonna do"?

I don't advocate social media or legal avenues but this dealer experience should be known to possibly help others.

Good Luck!

Reactions: biodiesel

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I don't advocate social media or legal avenues but this dealer experience should be known to possibly help others.
Most businesses hate negative google reviews. That's when business owners are more likely to be vocal, or ask to remedy the situation, etc.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Years ago, Chrysler had the FIVE STAR DEALER QUALITY PROGRAM. Each dealership would bend over backwards to earn their STARS. Customer satisfaction was a huge part of earning those stars. It's too bad that Chrysler (Stellantis) and their dealerships don't have that same customer satisfaction focus. You can read more about the program here: The Chrysler Five Star Dealer Quality Program (1997-2010)
That is interesting and seems like it was a cool program. Technically the dealership I am having problems with currently is a member Ram's "Customer First" initiative. I am sure of the viability of this as a metric. :oops:

I'm sorry this has been your experience, I'd encourage you to if possible get it towed to your preferred shop or dealer or home and gather your notes, documentation and prepare to escalate this with FCA. I can understand your frustration and most would be worn out if in this situation clearly they 'dealership' count on this. Don't get discouraged they likely work this angle regularly its no different that dealing with criminals, the dealership simply takes the attitude 'What ya gonna do"?

Good Luck!
Thanks for the support, this situation has certainly been a bummer. I fortunately did document everything that happened (about 6 pages now; with names, dates, times, and discussions etc) and I already did escalate this matter to FCA. FCA let me know they spoke with the dealership last week, and that they were washing their hands of the situation (the case was closed as far as they were concerned). Afraid FCA isn't going to be much help here.

Most businesses hate negative google reviews. That's when business owners are more likely to be vocal, or ask to remedy the situation, etc.
This is quite true; this will be my next step, I do want to give it another few days before the reviews start, to see if the situation can be rectified first.

---

While I was working yesterday I did miss a call from the service manager at the dealership; so I am assuming perhaps the voicemail for the GM, Ram giving the dealership a call last week, or contact from BBB did something. He didn't say anything more than, "give me a call," and I have not yet been able to reach him.

I am curious to see what steps they will take.

---

Tundra

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Always be a skeptic. I took mine in for the EGR recall and the service department told me I needed to pay for a coolant flush because there could be contamination as part of the EGR removal and replacement. I said it should be covered under the recall then. It was complete BS they have done countless of these recall services.... I wonder how many people paid for the flush.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Always be a skeptic. I took mine in for the EGR recall and the service department told me I needed to pay for a coolant flush because there could be contamination as part of the EGR removal and replacement. I said it should be covered under the recall then. It was complete BS they have done countless of these recall services.... I wonder how many people paid for the flush.
Good point. A friend of mine just had his EGR cooler replaced. His dealer changed the coolant fluid at no cost.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
So finally was able to talk to the service manager today.

They got the glow plugs in early so the truck is ready for me to pick-up.

While the service manager was a super nice guy to chat to, we went back on forth about them covering the cost of the glow plug. What he came down to was that, "everyone hates working on these engines, and that they are poorly designed." and that because "the Ram intake manifold replacement manual stipulates that a single glow-plug needs to get moved to pull it out, it isn't their problem if it didn't want to budge and wouldn't come out."

So back to me covering the cost. :confused:

That being said the total cost ended up being several $450 cheaper than originally stated (that was before the glow plug fiasco). Although he supposedly "did not drop the price."

Still frustrated. Not sure why they dissembled, instead of diagnosing, especially if they "hate" working on Diesel engines, and consider 5 years old. My normal mechanic would have been happy to work on it.

Will be glad to have the truck back, and at the end of the day more downtime will be more expensive than fighting for the glow-plug stuff to be free.

They will get a very honest review on google & BBB of what went well, and what did not.

Will pick the truck up tomorrow morning, glad to have this chapter over, and now I know where to NEVER take the truck to get looked at. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
glad to have this chapter over, and now I know where to NEVER take the truck to get looked at. :rolleyes:
Life is a gamble. There are wins and losses. Your dealership is adamantly wrong, but there's only so much you can do. I learned a long time ago that it's easier (and sometimes better) to walkaway than to waste time and energy fighting.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Life is a gamble. There are wins and losses. Your dealership is adamantly wrong, but there's only so much you can do. I learned a long time ago that it's easier (and sometimes better) to walkaway than to waste time and energy fighting.
Agree. They are wrong, but I am done dealing with the headache.

What is the name and location of this dealership?
We need to start a blacklist of dealerships and this one needs to be at the top!
The dealership is: John Hirsch's Cambridge Motors (Located in Cambridge, MN, USA).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Picked the truck up this morning. :)

And... got a check engine light tonight. :confused:

C'est la vie.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I had a 3 hour drive last night. The check engine light came on about an hour in.

When I lay into the pedal the truck makes a whining noise like a dying cat; my uneducated guess is thinking the turbo is pissed or that it is losing pressure. Last night it was having a difficult time keeping up with 70, (not towing, and no load). It was not losing power per-say, but it sure didn't sound pretty.

As I am 2.5 hours from home, and have a pretty full day I thought I would stop by the autoparts store and pickup a code reader this morning to try to see what I am dealing with. On the way to the shop I had some steep grade. The truck lost power twice going up hills (there was whirring wind down noise, the engine sounded normal). Again not towing, and no load.

The code reader said P2016 and P200A.

Which both have to do with the intake manifold, which was just replaced. This seems to be different than the issues I am experiencing.

I cleared the codes to see if they come back.

---

Not really sure what to do here. If something is wrong with the new intake, I am guessing the dealership that put it in is the only one who will work on it for free; however I don't want to ever work with them again, and they seem to break more than they fix.

--

Tundra

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Not really sure what to do here.
If you're tight on money, then take it back to the dealer. After all, they are responsible for the repair. Although, they could play the blame game and put you back in a bad position.

If you're not tight on money, then take it to your favorite shop and let them fix it correctly.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I also think your best bet is to take it back to the dealer. It sounds to me like the charge air piping is leaking. The tech would have taken some of it apart to replace the manifold, and when he put it back together he probably forgot to tighten a clamp and the pipe is either loose, or completely disconnected. This would explain the whirring/whining noise (turbo) and the intake manifold codes which are likely caused by low manifold pressure because the air is leaking out of the piping before it gets to the manifold.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
You're in a tough spot, it may not be what you want to hear but they are responsible for this issue. There is no way this should force you to have to reach in your pocket to fund something that is the result of an incompetent servicing dealer this SHOULD cost them. Whos to say if they put the old part back on say a crooked mechanic who cleaned up the old intake and pockets the new part heads to ebay and is making side cash, believe me mechanics can lie and will misstate what actually is going on to grab labor hours, parts and service advisors will turn a blind eye because they only care about their commision.

Alternate thought is take it to another dealer and have them deal with the other dealer directly, don't give in to these crooks you deserve proper resolution.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts