RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

Registered
Doing a large monthly payment, and repairs on top is doable; but to not have it drivable in addition? That is some additional cost!

With the truck out of commission for about a month and half now I have had to rent other vehicles, turn down work, have my wife use up most of her PTO, and borrow a family members vehicle. We have done ok, but this isn't feasible for another month or two.
Yeah, I wouldn't want to be without a truck, especially if I have to depend on it for work. You need a backup truck!

I know a used vehicle is gamble (seems I lost), trucks require more maintenance (as does Diesel) but this vehicle has been a big headache.

Haha I feel like I am paying out of the teeth... only to get kicked in the groin. 馃槯
Well, it sounds like you're trying to remain positive through the whole ordeal, which is a good thing. The EcoDiesel is a good truck, but having a good diesel mechanic is important. Some people can go 200,000 miles without any major problems. Once your issues are fixed, you might go years without a problem. I did my own risk analysis (risk and reward tradeoff). Ultimately, I decided it would be in my best financial interest to keep the truck long-term, but I also started to put away money for future repairs and I bought a backup truck.

Registered
2019 Classic Laramie CC
Not everyone can afford to have two vehicles. I am one of the fortunate that kept my old truck for work and have the ED for pleasure use and towing my boat. That said, an out of warranty ED as an only vehicle would not be my choice.

Registered
Not everyone can afford to have two vehicles.
Maybe. Instead of buying a $40K truck, why not buy two used trucks, one costing $25K and one costing $15K? At least you would have two trucks. In my opinion, not earning money because your one and only truck is down is also costly. Renting a truck while your one and only truck is down is also costly. Life is a game. We have to learn how to play it. Most people (I'm not talking about Tundra) live beyond their means which is why they can't get ahead.

That said, an out of warranty ED as an only vehicle would not be my choice.
I agree, which is why I made the decision that I did. Tundra may or may not want to keep his truck. Either way, he got screwed by the dealer, otherwise, his problem sounds very minor in the scheme of things had it been diagnosed correctly from the beginning. From the sound of it, Tundra is very resilient and will bounce back.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Well, it sounds like you're trying to remain positive through the whole ordeal, which is a good thing. The EcoDiesel is a good truck, but having a good diesel mechanic is important. Some people can go 200,000 miles without any major problems. Once your issues are fixed, you might go years without a problem. I did my own risk analysis (risk and reward tradeoff). Ultimately, I decided it would be in my best financial interest to keep the truck long-term, but I also started to put away money for future repairs and I bought a backup truck.
Thanks. Have been trying to remain positive. Also I did want to say thanks to everyone (especially you Biodiesel) for listening and for the support/advice, it is appreciated!

Not everyone can afford to have two vehicles. I am one of the fortunate that kept my old truck for work and have the ED for pleasure use and towing my boat. That said, an out of warranty ED as an only vehicle would not be my choice.
This is kinda where I am at I will explain below.

Maybe. Instead of buying a $40K truck, why not buy two used trucks, one costing $25K and one costing $15K? At least you would have two trucks. In my opinion, not earning money because your one and only truck is down is also costly. Renting a truck while your one and only truck is down is also costly. Life is a game. We have to learn how to play it. Most people (I'm not talking about Tundra) live beyond their means which is why they can't get ahead.

I agree, which is why I made the decision that I did. Tundra may or may not want to keep his truck. Either way, he got screwed by the dealer, otherwise, his problem sounds very minor in the scheme of things had it been diagnosed correctly from the beginning. From the sound of it, Tundra is very resilient and will bounce back.
So I guess this all leads me to think what is best for the future?

The wife and I did our first 5 years of marriage on one vehicle, a trusty Honda Civic (170,000 miles and zero issues). We made this work as we lived downtown, and she worked across the street. In the past year we moved from the city, and bought a place out in the sticks, understanding we would need a 2nd vehicle. The 2nd vehicle was this Ecodiesel.

My reasoning was, I have wanted a truck for a few years, and I have a small business where owning a truck is very helpful (hauling gear, and towing). I live in far enough out in MN, that having something with 4x4 is a pretty good idea. My inclination towards diesel was that it was better for towing (business type sometimes involves cross-country work), and that if taken care of it would last a very long time.

We are planning on driving the Civic until it dies, and thus far in its life (I bought it new in 12') it has had zero problems. Even though it runs GREAT I am wanting to keep some money aside for it incase something happens to the transmission or something.

---

That being said, I am actually kinda stepping back from the personal business (not because of truck issues, just a bad year) and was recently offered a full-time position basically doing the fun side of what my business is. Long-story short my needs for towing and hauling is looking like it is winding down and will be minimal in the future (basically just getting work done around the house).

--

So while I like Diesel, I am not thinking that I need it anymore. I like this truck a lot, and even though this is a minor issue, we really do need 2x reliable vehicles. If this vehicle is not reliable enough I don't think I could afford a 3rd vehicle on top of this Ecodiesel. I also don't really want to be paying insurance and maintenance for 3x vehicles.

Tundra

Registered
Discussion Starter · #65 · (Edited)
So I stopped by the dealership where the truck is currently, as it was on my way to where I am working today. Thought I would check in with the service advisor I was working with to see how things were shaking out, when the service manager heard I was in he immediately came out to personally to discuss things with me.

Really great guy, and he provided a lot of clarity.

I found out engine work is what is needed at this point. The glow-plug that dealership #1 put in incorrectly, is sticking an inch out farther than all of the other ones. It is dealership #2's diesel mechanics opinion that dealership #1 ruined that engine cylinder when they forced it in.

So there are two ways Ram/Chrysler could cover this.

1) What the 1st dealership (Cambridge) did was wrong, and Ram could step in and correct things.
2) Most of these repairs are items which are covered under AEM warranty.

To the first point, Ram Customer service (the service manager and I have been talking to the same person), states that it is dealership #1's responsibility to cover things, and will not help. They have told dealership #2 that dealership #1 will give a call to get things straightened out, and that simply hasn't happened yet. The service manager at dealership #2 even gave his personal cell number, and has tried calling dealership #1 himself. He has been ignored thus far.

To the second point Ram is unwilling to cover any of these repairs under AEM, as it is not a fault with components, but with workmanship at this point.

So basically because I chose the wrong authorized dealer/mechanic to go to. I am REALLY screwed and there is a loophole in AEM warranty coverage.

The service manager at dealership #2, stated he has had seen some bad repair work by dealership #1 before, and that they only have 1 Diesel guy to his knowledge, and that getting someone who is good is a 7 year process; he is thinking that whoever they have was out, or is still learning (wish dealership #1 would have informed me of this on the front end). He has called everyone at Chrysler/Ram that he can think of, but no one is budging to cover this, he was pretty pissed about their support in this matter.

Service manager at Dealership #2, said this is the most sideways situation he has ever come across, he said he recommended taking this to court, and that he was more than happy to get me documentation outlining what was wrong.

At this point my wife is actually getting involved; she deals with legal work everyday, and she is much more confronational than I am (I am a lot nicer ;)).

At the level of work that is getting done; I suppose I should be considering a new engine, and with that level of investment I might want to think about just tuning it and keeping the truck.

---

Tundra

Registered
At this point my wife is actually getting involved; she deals with legal work everyday, and she is much more confronational than I am (I am a lot nicer ;)).
She sounds like a good asset.

At the level of work that is getting done; I suppose I should be considering a new engine, and with that level of investment I might want to think about just tuning it and keeping the truck.
Now you're talkin' my language!

Reactions: sourdo

Registered
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
She sounds like a good asset.

Now you're talkin' my language!
My wife is great! ;) I definitely married up, we just had our 6th anniversary, which is not that long, but it is definitely something!

---

As to the truck, heard back from the service manager at dealership #2 (they have been great to work with) as to the bill to get things fixed. The total for them to get the engine fixed (replace the cylinder or take it to machine shop for a rebuild) was a whopping $7.5k! The cost for them to replace the entire engine would be $20k.

I have a small truck/diesel shop I like a lot (non-dealership) and obviously they would do the whole job for probably half the price. So that has been a backup option.

---

Looks like we got some resolution today some good news for a change. :D

After a lot of back-and-forth with Dealership #1 (my wife put the pressure on), they agreed to fully cover the cost of Dealership #2 to fix things!

While it is not a brand new engine, the work is getting covered, and it is being done by a good dealership. Will hopefully be done next week.

--
Tundra

Registered
My wife is great! ;) I definitely married up, we just had our 6th anniversary, which is not that long, but it is definitely something!.
Congratulations!

Looks like we got some resolution today some good news for a change. :D

After a lot of back-and-forth with Dealership #1 (my wife put the pressure on), they agreed to fully cover the cost of Dealership #2 to fix things!

While it is not a brand new engine, the work is getting covered, and it is being done by a good dealership. Will hopefully be done next week.
That is awesome news!

And just for the record, a brand new engine is only $7,500 (free shipping). Most shops will do the install for around $1,800. Here's the link: 5158048AE 3.0L Eco Diesel Complete Running Engine* - Mopar Powertrain

Registered
Good morning all. I am having an issue with the Turbo Water Feed Tube. 2014 ED. 180k. It threw a code. I took it to the dealer. They said 2 issues. One is easy. But the TWFT is why i am here.
Water pours out from under the back of the engine with no apparent source, so I am pretty sure the dealer is correct. But The dealer wants $4300 to repair it, and I said I forgot my chkbook! Lol. I cant find vids on how to get to it. I see vids on for 鈥渁fter it is removed鈥 and vids on the hemi but not the ED. I even found removal vids that show what to remove, but not HOW. I have gotten down to most of the wiring harness and the fuel line tubes.
I want to tackle this but not at the expense of losing the truck. I dont have the $4k. Which also means I cant get a replacement truck. Pls help.

Super Moderator
Is that lifting the cab & putting in a new turbo? You might get a written estimate with breakdown. Also I have a brand new turbo with just over 1,000 miles on it I would sell. May save you some coin.

If that $4300 doesn鈥檛 include lifting the cab & new turbo what the heck makes it so high? BTW with all the plug in connectors etc now days & shop lift designs removing & replacing the cab isn鈥檛 the work it once was.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
That is awesome news!

And just for the record, a brand new engine is only $7,500 (free shipping). Most shops will do the install for around $1,800. Here's the link: 5158048AE 3.0L Eco Diesel Complete Running Engine* - Mopar Powertrain
Yes this is the link I showed my diesel mechanic at the small shop I like last week. He had been able to match and get a better deal through his supplier, and install would have been fairly inexpensive. The 100,000 mile/ 3 year warranty would have been nice too!

So the cost of what is being done by the dealership, and full engine replacement are quite close, however it was a huge fight to get Dealership #1 to cover the work of Dealership #2. I think more details, or straight cash would have been a no go.

Not the most ideal, however at least things landed in a good place (with one of 3 options I was looking for).

--

Tundra

Registered
I agree, Tundra. I was just posting the information so you knew that the $20k estimate for a new engine was way too expensive. Now you know to start putting away money each month to prepare for future repairs. I've been saving $250 per month for the past year. My account just turned $3,250. It adds up quick. $250 per month is cheaper than a new truck payment. ;)

Reactions: Tundra

Registered
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
To update since it has been about two weeks:

Early last week it was discovered that the engine did indeed need to be fully rebuilt (or something of that nature) seems that Dealership #1 truly did a number on it, so I am currently in a holding pattern waiting for parts at the moment.

Supposedly the last of the needed parts will be in on June 15th, potentially I might finally have the truck back from dealership #2 sometime next week.

I can only hope at this point! ;)

Registered
I would like to see a parts list. It would be interesting to see what they did to the engine.

Registered
2017 Laramie eco about to be tuned and deleted at 30k. Forget that it鈥檚 now hp tuned and deleted.
I haven鈥檛 heard of anyone rebuilding the engines, assuming it鈥檚 bottom end. I thought they were swapping them out

Registered
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
I haven鈥檛 heard of anyone rebuilding the engines, assuming it鈥檚 bottom end. I thought they were swapping them out
I am not exactly positive what they are doing, so "rebuild" is probably the wrong term.

Whatever they are doing is cheaper than them putting in a brand new engine (which they said would be $20k). It is still a $7.5k operation for whatever they are doing. The Cylinder where the replaced glow-plug is got totally stripped out, and that whole section of engine needs to replaced (or something like that?). It sounded like the engine was maybe being taken out and going to a machine shop for repair?

I am not quite positive what is being performed at this time, and yes those dealership prices are ridiculous and are so very close to the cost of a new engine through a non-dealership (around $8-10k at my normal mechanic), but I am not having to pay for the work that is getting done at this point (again not due to any involvement from Ram that I can tell).

So things are slowly moving forward.

--

Tundra

61 - 77 of 77 Posts