RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DeBoss Garage has a 302 Coyote they tore down. What does that have to do with EcoDiesels? Synthetic oil. When they pull the head covers and rockers they show some interesting points. It's worth a watch at 2x speed if anything else.

DeBoss and the question of synthetic oils

·
Registered
794 Posts
Good video. But, never heard of an Ecodiesel with sludge. BTW, was at a car show when I owned a 400,000 mile 5.7 hemi powered RT Magnum. A woman pulled in beside my car with a 1956 Chrysler 354 hemi with over 300,000 original miles, never overhaulled. Asked her what kind of special oil that she used. Car had always had 3,000 mile changes with----- straight 30W as called for in the owner's manual.

Reactions: KRom

·
Registered
257 Posts
Sounds like mechanics conjecture.
"Synthetic oil crystallizes if it's not brought up to temperature"
Ok, what temps? Is there a range? As oil cools it transitions back through "not up to temp anymore" , is it crystallizing then? What in the oil is crystallizing? Why isn't my synthetic oil crystallizing over night? What's his scientific proof?

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,500 Posts
Is it the oil that's the issue, or is it the engine design? I think it's the Dodge Intrepid 2.7L that's notorious for slugging up if the oil changes are neglected, mechanic buddy told me about this.

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
Man he is good. He looked at it for 5 seconds and knew that it had synthetic oil and was short tripped to never warm up.

Pretty sure all the synthetics advertise reduced deposits and sludge. I wouldn't put much faith in that.

·
Registered
2016 longhorn 4X4 bone stock
53 Posts
I like DeBoss stuff, he is very industrious (y) , i heard them both mention the advantages and disadvantages of synthetics and I have always subscribed to is the frequency of oil changes being the key to longevity, like others I also question their determination on what I thought was "a rebuild-able core/engine" and how they came up with cause..... i have worked on some engines that have been run on synthetic and they have looked very clean and showed very little signs of wear, cylinder bores that are still in very good shape ...and i have also worked on some that you had to follow the push-rods to find the lifters:oops:

he (DeBoss) did a 4bt in a 1/2 pick up or suburban that i thought was good swap and around 30MPG IIRC

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
I believe Ford required 5w20 synthetic blend. For those who don't know, there isn't a specific requirement on synthetic blend....1 drop of true synthetic oil added to a barrel of regular dyno quailfies it as synthetic blend.
My wife’s escape calls for that 5w20. I ran motorcraft for about 30k miles and switched to Walmart super tech synthetic. It’s got 120,000 miles is as quiet and smooth as new, zero smoke no oil use. Seems to be ok to me.

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
Is it the oil that's the issue, or is it the engine design? I think it's the Dodge Intrepid 2.7L that's notorious for slugging up if the oil changes are neglected, mechanic buddy told me about this.
Correct, the 2.7 V6 is a bad one for this. My mother has the first year Chrysler 300 with that engine and it gets mostly short drives. It only has about 60,000 miles in 15 years or so of use. FOr the last two changes I used Amsoil's flush in it before changing her oil and have moved to synthetic in it. Still no noisy tappets or oil burning in hers, but not many miles either

·
Registered
479 Posts
They didn’t explain it very well.. they are really talking about very extended OCI’s people think they can do without any problems on synthetic. They are saying if you stick to normal OCI intervals and operate the engine for extended runs here and there this crap (sludge, lots of varnish, etc) would not happen. Clearly the owner of this engine didn’t change his oil enough, nothing to do with dino vs synthetic.

-15 year bitog’er

1 - 12 of 12 Posts