RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've started ordering accessories for my Ecodiesel Outdoorsman, and I found a couple goodies that I think are just what an Outdoorsman(or any) truck needs.

The first is a set of Carhartt seat covers for front and back that are made from the same material as Carhartt work-wear, and they come in dark grey or the classic brown. You may have seen them in Ford catalogs, and that's because Ford has exclusive rights to distribute them for Ford products. The rest of us can still get them in the proper fit for our vehicles, but the company builds all the front seat covers to order so they take longer and you have to find an independent distributor if you live in Canada(http://www.performanceimprovements.com/). I'll add pics of the covers and a swatch of the grey material below.

carhartt_seat_covers.jpg carhartt_GY.jpg

Next on my list is a set of WeatherTech floor mats. I ordered my truck so that I could specifically request a carpet delete/vinyl floor(which is not a listed option for an Outdoorsman but can be requested from the factory), and I'm going a step farther with the laser-moulded floor mats that fit perfectly and uses the factory hooks. They also make a front seat variant that goes "over the hump", for people with the bench in front who want the hump covered as well(like if it was carpeted for example).

mats.jpg

I'm driving this truck into the ground, but I'm keeping it pristine until it dies. With all the protective stuff, I might even let the dog right up front!

P

·
0 Posts
One of the great things in the Outdoorsman is a great set of rubber mats already in it. First thing for me is exterior, decent tonneau that works with RamBoxes.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm still waiting to see what the stock mats look like for 2014, but I think I'm going WeatherTech for my hood deflector and window visors so I'll probably go WeatherTech for mats too. I'm also tinting the windows, but that's an exterior thing that I can't buy ahead of time.(well I can, but a roll of tint doesn't feel like I really have anything)

·
Registered
362 Posts
Just curious, why would one want floor mats with a carpet delete, isn't that one of the reasons for not wanting carpet and running the vinyl floors? Also, never really understood why people use those window visors on there windows, can anyone enlighten me? Do hood protectors really help? this will be my first Pickup.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just curious, why would one want floor mats with a carpet delete, isn't that one of the reasons for not wanting carpet and running the vinyl floors? Also, never really understood why people use those window visors on there windows, can anyone enlighten me? Do hood protectors really help? this will be my first Pickup.
The carpet delete gives you a water-proof surface to start with. However, the water can go anywhere it likes. The mats all have an edge to them that gives the moisture somewhere to stay, and yanking a mat out to shake it off is easier than scrubbin the floor. The vinyl floor is stain-proof, prevents odors, and looks great with Armor-All but dirty carpet looks awful and smells bad.

ALSO, good mats have a little depth to them, which means that if your feet are flat on the mat, the grooves/valleys in the mats hold your feet up above the moisture(unless the mats are full), which keeps your pantlegs from picking up the crap. I get in and out of my vehicle at least 10-12 round-trips a day, which tracks in MAJOR crap, and my nursing clients expect me to look clean when I show up. WeatherTech mats do an awesome job of trapping the moisture away from where your shoes/pants actually touch AND keeps heavy water from sloshing around when you stop/start.

As far as hood deflectors and window visors...I live in an area with an abundance of flies/mosquitoes, and the hood deflector does a great job of keeping the windshield more bug-free AND reducing some of the rain/snow that contacts it. The window visors are basically ideal for anyone who likes their window open all the time. That little bit of rain, snow, or wind that comes in when you have your window cracked is blocked by the visors, allowing fresh air to circulate but very little actual wind. The wind-free air is great with chicks are in the back with their hair done(God knows they took long enough getting ready, don't need them getting pissy about it). Smokers? They LOVE window visors because the vented window mostly provides suction which makes ashing out the window super-easy, clean, and when you flick your butt the wind pulls it out(making sure it doesn't end up on the floor in the back seat).

I mostly want the window visors because I smoke occasionally and my window is always open for my dog which gets a little moisture in the door frame in my car. The hood deflector is so that I can save a little $ on washer fluid/wiper blades and so my RainX coating on the windshield lasts longer. I wear hospital scrubs every day which are a little baggy at the ankle so without good floor mats my pants will be soaked in crud. I'm speaking from experience entirely not from research so this is an opinion :)

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I like the seat covers. Not for every day.., but they would be great for a day on the boat, or when I take the RZR in the mud.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I like the seat covers. Not for every day.., but they would be great for a day on the boat, or when I take the RZR in the mud.
We're on the same page. I work 12 days a pay period, I'd have em off in the front on my "Friday"(which usually isn't actually Friday) for cleaning when I have other people in the truck. Back sat covers will stay on until they're dirty because people never seem to give a shit about the back seat in your truck and it gets wrecked first.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Thanks for the info ego. I drive a F-350 at work which has vinyl floors and they never provide floor mats so I never thought twice about using them with carpet delete. Only assessories on the work truck is a brush guard and winch. I thought the only reason to have those window visors is for smoking, which I don't smoke so I didn't think they would be helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
177 Posts
Here is a list of what I have sitting in my garage right now for my Tradesman Ecodiesel: Weather Tech front and rear floor mats and mud flaps; AVS bug deflector; Mopar fender flares, cabin filter kit, glove box kit and heated washer kit; Rugged Liner bed liner; Du-Ha under seat storage; Dee Zee tailgate assist; Wheel Skin leather steering wheel cover; Stubby antenna; Air Lift rear air bags; Orvis rear seat cover (for dogs); Century Ultra CF cap with dual LED dome lights, tilt front window, 12volt outlets and interior headliner; Bed Step; Vent Visors Elite; Westin running boards; Krown rust proofing; Mag Hytec rear diff cover; door sill 3M guard tape; Auto Mega side body molding; custom made front seat covers by Seat Covers Unlimited. Dealer is checking to see if the Mopar Remote Start kit #82214054 is compatible with the Ecodiesel engine.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I considered the Carhartt seat covers for the longest time, but they were a little too rugged looking for me for everyday use. Went with Seat Covers Unlimited because they fit and look more like OEM. JMHO

·
Registered
438 Posts
I have the Weather Tech molded liners, Lund tri-fold cover. I'll also have the truck Ziebart rustproofed, sprayed in bed liner, and paint protection film on the front end as well as the lower 1' of the entire vehicle. I'm considering some light upgrades as well.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Shaker223- Take a look at the Krown rustproofing. I did a lot of legwork and this is what I am going to have done next week to my ED. Krown is a Canadian based company and this all they do. It costs about $140.00.
Only thing is you have to have it reapplied every year for the first several years and then every other year after words. Canadian swear by this stuff that their vehicles are like new at ten years old. This might seem like a pain, but from what I have read this product gets very good results. Again do some research on the product. There is Gus's Garage in Versailles, Ohio that does Krown, otherwise you will have to go to Belle River Auto Centre in the Windsor area of Ontario, Canada. Maybe some of our Canadian members will enlighten us on Krown.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Shaker223- Take a look at the Krown rustproofing. I did a lot of legwork and this is what I am going to have done next week to my ED. Krown is a Canadian based company and this all they do. It costs about $140.00.
Only thing is you have to have it reapplied every year for the first several years and then every other year after words. Canadian swear by this stuff that their vehicles are like new at ten years old. This might seem like a pain, but from what I have read this product gets very good results. Again do some research on the product. There is Gus's Garage in Versailles, Ohio that does Krown, otherwise you will have to go to Belle River Auto Centre in the Windsor area of Ontario, Canada. Maybe some of our Canadian members will enlighten us on Krown.
I've looked at both. Ziebart has been doing it for over 50 years. Their materials have mil specs and withstand over 1000 hours in salt spray booths. My last truck was Ziebart rustproofed and looked like new after 10 years. Ziebart also has an annual maintenance program to keep the warranty up. Their annual maintenance is way lower than Krown where I believe you pay the full boat every year. I looked at Krown and their MSDS sheets. They are kinda vauge and incomplete by not listing any of the components of the materials used in their products. Additionally, they're not the current standard of 16 part msds.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Shaker- How much did Ziebart quote to do your truck? How much for the annual maintenance? We don't have a Ziebart dealer in Kzoo. You are correct about paying the "full boat" every year.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Stopped by the dealership the other day. Was told that the Mopar Remote Starter Kit #82214054 is indeed compatible with the EcoDiesel engine. Received my Mag-Hytec rear diff cover today, very nice piece.

My ED should arrive at the dealer on 3/24 or 3/25. Hope to get most of this on the truck next week if the weather is nice:p in Kalamazoo.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Anybody planning on installing a EGT gauge? If so, what brand?
Yes. I have a full edge insight cts setup that I used on my 2500 that I will eventually install. I looked briefly for a good spot to drill for the egt probe last night - the manifolds are pretty buried and getting to them might be a pita.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts