RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We purchased this ECO Diesel recently I have to say I am very impressed with it so far. We plan on building this truck into a fun off road / chase truck style project showcasing some of today's industries best manufacturers offering parts for this new truck. We wont start cutting the truck for a few weeks yet, I wanted to share the build process of this project with the forum members here........ hope you enjoy it.

The plan is to cut and stretch the frame, install a suspension systems that will allow us to fit some 22" dually wheels and 35" -37" tires. We will of course add some cool accessories such as MBRP exhaust ,bumpers, winch , lots of auxiliary lighting and so much more.

The reason for the frame stretch is so we can build a cool flat deck and storage rack large enough to hold a matching Polaris RZR1000 being built to match the Diesel.

Here it is bone stock.......

IMG_4052.JPG

·
Registered
230 Posts
What's your strategy fir cranking up the weak payload capacity?

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Sounds like you are taking a light-duty truck and transforming it into a heavy-duty. Stretch and dually do not say "off-road" to me, but the result should be unique. Personally, I would be more interested in practical upgrades that increase GVWR and off-road ability within reason while retaining the 1500's inherent advantages of economy, size and weight.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I agree with bigfoot! Let's see some stuff that is for the other 99% of us.... stuff we can accually use...

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Very cool project.

Reactions: OLDESCOTSMAN

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey guys .... I know a project like this is not for everyone. I have built many rides over the years and have had lots of fun providing some " project updates" to the forums as we build. Ill do my best to answer most questions and try to photograph some of the process in depth as well when I can. if you are into "projects , builds, hot rodding and just plain old designing , cutting and welding than this may appeal to you. If you bought your 1500 ECO diesel to only get the best 1/2 ton fuel economy presently available and after that its "just a truck" then our build may not interest you much.......

gleb.... no real direction yet as to what we are doing on the suspension / payload. Rest assured this truck will carry the RZR and all its necessary equipment when finished. I can only hope it delivers a nice smooth ride when completed as well.

Bigfoot ... the larger size and dually wheel set up are more of a "Chase Truck" set up where we could take this vehicle into the desert to provide support to a race vehicle. I think you hit the nail on the head when you say "unique" although I do hope to retain some practicality with this project as well. The engine and trans will remain stock for now so we will gain some insight as to how these units handle extra weight and payload.

schmitt... stay tuned I'm hoping in a month or so.

cereal killer ..... thanks will do. The RZR is not going to be too crazy but should still be a fun build.

chris12559 .... This forum will have lots of cool threads with info on " stuff you can use" my thread is just something different. I will be using this forum myself to get great ideas and to ask question of others that are more knowledgeable on the 1500 ECO than I am.

To the rest that have subscribed ... thanks I hope my build brings a little enjoyment..... stay tuned.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Good luck, can't wait to see it evolve. Been around race cars for years, and have an appreciation for craftsmanship even if it is not my cup of tea.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I always look at SEMA builds to see what they will bring to the table for everyone else. Most of these trucks are one off and to the extreme in order to showcase products by one or multiple companies but eventually scaled down versions make their way into catalogs.

What out of this build do you all plan to mass produce and begin marketing to the masses? Obviously dually swap and frame stretches will always be a one off item but what about exhaust, exterior things like side steps, fender flares, lights, or mechanical things like wheels, gauges, entertainment equip, etc.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Ecodiesel + sema project = subscribed. What wheels and tires? Custom bumpers? Are you going to use any parts off the ram runner? Winch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: OLDESCOTSMAN

·
Registered
132 Posts
Do you still race? if so what series?

MB
I never was allowed to get behind the wheel, I was a tire/ crew guy for a prostock car in the maritimes of Canada. our cars are basically super late models. we would run against the pass north guys sometimes with a couple small modifications. It is a great series with good car counts and great racing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I always look at SEMA builds to see what they will bring to the table for everyone else. Most of these trucks are one off and to the extreme in order to showcase products by one or multiple companies but eventually scaled down versions make their way into catalogs.

What out of this build do you all plan to mass produce and begin marketing to the masses? Obviously dually swap and frame stretches will always be a one off item but what about exhaust, exterior things like side steps, fender flares, lights, or mechanical things like wheels, gauges, entertainment equip, etc.
We will offer exhaust for this truck for sure.... we are also working with a leading bumper manufacture on some new bumpers they are looking to debut at SEMA as well. We are fortunate to have so many industry friends that will work with us and use out project as a test bed for new products that in the end its not only what MBRP will bring to the table but what other companies bring out for new products as well for this platform .

MB

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I never was allowed to get behind the wheel, I was a tire/ crew guy for a prostock car in the maritimes of Canada. our cars are basically super late models. we would run against the pass north guys sometimes with a couple small modifications. It is a great series with good car counts and great racing.
Very cool, its always a great day when its spent at the track ..... I'm heading to Laguna Seca for my first race on May 3rd. I cant wait. MB

·
Registered
362 Posts
We will offer exhaust for this truck for sure.... we are also working with a leading bumper manufacture on some new bumpers they are looking to debut at SEMA as well. We are fortunate to have so many industry friends that will work with us and use out project as a test bed for new products that in the end its not only what MBRP will bring to the table but what other companies bring out for new products as well for this platform .

MB
I would be very interested in seeing your bumpers. I personally don't like any of the current bumpers that are available for the ram 1500. Coming from the jeep community I have high standards for aftermarket bumpers. Although I do like the concept bumpers AEV had on their ram at this past sema.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: TXSW1MMER
1 - 20 of 49 Posts