RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i picked her up last Friday afternoon. So far very pleased. A couple of questions for you guys. 1st, quite a few of you have mentioned exact temperature values for oil, coolant and tranny while towing etc . Are you getting this information via the dash or the OBDII interface? So far all i can seem to display is temperature bar graphs with no values? Also I have been noticing a driveline "clank" noise. I happens if you are above 40mph and let off the fuel and drift back down to 25-30mph and then step on the accelerator again. my guess is to much play somewhere in the driveline . Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
The clank absolutly! Was thinking of checking my u joints maybe.....i think most people are getting the heat numbers from the evic...hope that helps

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, i am using the evic as well, but I can't figure out how to get a numeric display, only bar graphs.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Maybe its trim dependant?

If you have it it will be in the truck status section you have to put the arrow keys to scroll side ways

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, that is how i am doing it, you can pick your display options for the various corners of the screen. Just no option that I can see to change your display choice from bar graph to numeric values. i will look again tonight.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
sfraser the temperature (oil, coolant, trans & oil pressure) is one of the vehicle gauge views... on your EVIC you need to toggle through the menu's to have the vehicle highlighted (the little truck will be shown in the gauge). then use your "right/left" arrows on your steering wheel to toggle through the vehicle info, there are several views so you need to toggle and you will get to the temperature one, i think it is second to the last view.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I have a little over 4000 miles with no clank. doesn't seem right

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sfraser the temperature (oil, coolant, trans & oil pressure) is one of the vehicle gauge views... on your EVIC you need to toggle through the menu's to have the vehicle highlighted (the little truck will be shown in the gauge). then use your "right/left" arrows on your steering wheel to toggle through the vehicle info, there are several views so you need to toggle and you will get to the temperature one, i think it is second to the last view.
Agreed, but i don't see any way to display an absolute value as in "current oil temperature: 201 degree's F". The bar graphs just show ranges with no values associated.

Thanks

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a little over 4000 miles with no clank. doesn't seem right
I agree, back to the dealers at some point this week.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Please let us/me know what they say!
I certainly will.
It occurred to me that i heard of something similar a month or so ago. It had to to do something loose from the factory that is mounted to the rear axle. I will see if I can find it again.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
@sfraser - well then i'm really not sure what to say because mine is exactly that - a list of the 4 things in their current temperature, in F. i don't have bar graphs lol. must be another screen setup you need to modify - which by the way you can only 'modify' when the vehicle is in park. i suspect it is a simple preference change you need to make on the EVIC setup screen. but i can assure you, the information is there. :)

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@sfraser - well then i'm really not sure what to say because mine is exactly that - a list of the 4 things in their current temperature, in F. i don't have bar graphs lol. must be another screen setup you need to modify - which by the way you can only 'modify' when the vehicle is in park. i suspect it is a simple preference change you need to make on the EVIC setup screen. but i can assure you, the information is there. :)
Well i guess I need to did a little further into it! I agree, there must be a preference I am over looking somewhere.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Yea, i am using the evic as well, but I can't figure out how to get a numeric display, only bar graphs.
There are many display screens and I'm not sure which one you are talking about. On my EVIC, the numerical operating temps are displayed on the 7th subscreen of Vehicle Info (the screen after Speedometer). There are some gauges elsewhere; is that what you mean by "bar graphs?" The EVIC setup options include 2 gauges on the left and 4 numerical displays at the 4 corners although the corner display choices do not include operating temperatures. For temperature numbers go to the Vehicle Info screen and press the right arrow to cycle through the subscreens until you see the temperatures.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There are many display screens and I'm not sure which one you are talking about. On my EVIC, the numerical operating temps are displayed on the 7th subscreen of Vehicle Info (the screen after Speedometer). There are some gauges elsewhere; is that what you mean by "bar graphs?" The EVIC setup options include 2 gauges on the left and 4 numerical displays at the 4 corners although the corner display choices do not include operating temperatures. For temperature numbers go to the Vehicle Info screen and press the right arrow to cycle through the subscreens until you see the temperatures.
I was checking another forum and seen some screenshots. I think I found out what's going on. When I was referring to "bar graphs" , I meant the two gauges on the left side of the screen, i was hoping to change the gauges into numeric values. I don't believe this is possible. As you mentioned the 4 numeric corner displays won't display temps. However, i did see a screen shot of a "temp. summary" that fills the middle of the screen. I have not come across that yet, I will look this evening.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quick update, my ED has been in the shop for two days now. They acknowledge there is a clunking sound in the drive train. They have referred to corporate for direction on how to address. Dealership has been great, and have given me a new demo car as a loaner, but i really hope to have the truck back as i am supposed to be off on vacation next week. Vacation will involve towing a boat and 20 miles of gravel roads.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just talked to the Service manager. He said everything seemed within spec, except for a spider gear in the rear diff which had a little play. They doubt that is the issue, but they are going to replace it and see. He said Corporate told them the truck needs to be driven for a few thousand Km, before the learning mode is over. He stated he has problems with that analogy because they have another brand new unit on the lot which does not produce the same symptoms as mine. Lets see what the tomorrow brings....

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Huh.....thanks alot for the update!!! As tjem if that can cause a bit of vibration.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts