RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Thanks for the added information. We know that the small turbo is the limiting factor on these trucks. 45 PSI I'm sure turns our little turbos into hairdryers. That tune I'm sure would be great for a larger turbo swap on these trucks.

I sent you a DM as well. Look forward to seeing you more on the forums.
45 PSI is probably to much boost, it would be interesting to see how long the bottom end lasts with 45 PSI boost. Anybody know what the stock boost is my truck can hit 24-25 PSI stock. I'm not so sure timing changes won't damage your engine, back in the day we went to great lengths to get the timing perfect maybe advance it 1 degree on request.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
45 PSI is probably to much boost, it would be interesting to see how long the bottom end lasts with 45 PSI boost. Anybody know what the stock boost is my truck can hit 24-25 PSI stock. I'm not so sure timing changes won't damage your engine, back in the day we went to great lengths to get the timing perfect maybe advance it 1 degree on request.
Every tune available for our trucks advances the timing. If you only advance the timing alone, you can cause some serious issues, but if done correctly with boost, fuel and fuel pressure changes, its safe. The tunes I've compared advance the timing as much as 13-14 degrees above stock timing in certain parts of the map, but again its accompanied by fuel and the fuel pressure is adjusted as well to keep things safe.

The factory tune is very mild with most vehicles, and FCA has a pretty bad/smoky tune on these trucks. If you ran stock without the DPF, you'd be surprised how much these things smoked. And its all because the FCA tuning.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Yeah 45 PSI doesn't sound right. The most I recall seeing anyone running is 32psi on the stock turbo. After that it just generates waste heat, not any extra airflow.

·
Premium Member
2,904 Posts
Max boost of 45 psia the stock map sensor cant read 45psi but it does have a max range of 3 bar which is 43.5 psia. Other tunes out there have a max boost range set past the map sensor max range as well. Unless you upgrade the map sensor to a 4 bar one, which requires both hardware and software changes, you cant read past about 29-30 psi of boost.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Every tune available for our trucks advances the timing. If you only advance the timing alone, you can cause some serious issues, but if done correctly with boost, fuel and fuel pressure changes, its safe. The tunes I've compared advance the timing as much as 13-14 degrees above stock timing in certain parts of the map, but again its accompanied by fuel and the fuel pressure is adjusted as well to keep things safe.

The factory tune is very mild with most vehicles, and FCA has a pretty bad/smoky tune on these trucks. If you ran stock without the DPF, you'd be surprised how much these things smoked. And its all because the FCA tuning.
The factory tune is junk their science bunk in my opinion. Why not go right back to a Caterpillar type pre-cup it looks like they are doing the same thing but using the entire combustion chamber as a pre-combustion chamber this is nothing but a very dirty soot generator. It looks like the FCA version of early pilot injection happens at an engine timing point that will guarantee poor lower temp incomplete combustion ( Boiling Black soot/smoke rollin fkn coal ) ( and a whole lot of soot ). I would love to try Gputah tune, the most knowledgeable tuner I have listened to so far very good understanding of the tuning enviroment.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
The factory tune is junk their science bunk in my opinion. Why not go right back to a Caterpillar type pre-cup it looks like they are doing the same thing but using the entire combustion chamber as a pre-combustion chamber this is nothing but a very dirty soot generator. It looks like the FCA version of early pilot injection happens at an engine timing point that will guarantee poor lower temp incomplete combustion ( Boiling Black soot/smoke rollin fkn coal ) ( and a whole lot of soot ). I would love to try Gputah tune, the most knowledgeable tuner I have listened to so far very good understanding of the tuning environment.
The only tunes I have done have been just for myself, and I never plan on selling. I really enjoy reviewing other tunes and seeing how they compare to others though and hope to add RecklessTX's tunes to my list of compared tunes.

The EPA in the united states requires very low NOX production. Unfortunately for diesels, NOX is very easily produced because of the high temps required for complete combustion. The main reason pilot injection was invented and used is to reduce combustion temperatures in order to reduce NOX gases. A side benefit is reduced noise. Which to me isn't a benefit because I like the way diesels sound.

EDIT: I had it backwards, Pilot injection was first used to quiet the combustion cycle, and later found that it reduced nox by reducing the overall combustion temps.

Its really dumb, because they reduce the temps which then reduce the efficiency of the combustion, causing an incomplete burn of the fuel, which wastes fuel and creates soot. Now in order to counter the direct consequence of lower combustion temps that produce more soot, they require a DPF to capture the extra soot. But the DPF needs to purge the soot eventually before it plugs up, so what do they do? Inject fuel into the DPF to raise the temps high enough to burn off the soot. Well, now this produces more NOX, so they added and SCR into the mix to capture the NOX again, and then DEF is injected into the SCR to clean out the NOX.

If you try to look at how and what they require, its not logical. Especially considering that NOX dissipates into the atmosphere within 24hours and turns into oxygen. All of this is the results of California's testing, stating NOX causes cancer. Well, if it was such a huge issue, every trucker we know would die of cancer. Soot is also heavy, and falls to the ground.

Gas vehicles produce more Carbon dioxide than diesels do by nature. And according to the EPA, that is what is destroying our planet, not NOX. But, Carbon dioxide is also required for life, as the plants use it for food. Gardens and greenhouses have Carbon dioxide producing machines to help the plants grow. All of this seems counterproductive and our science seems to be so confusing and messed up its ridiculous.

And I didn't even mention the EGR, which is one of the worst things to come to diesels as it circulates the soot back into the engine. They use the EGR to reduce combustion temps, so less burned fuel, more soot and the cycle repeats itself over and over again within your truck. Its mind boggling to think of how many things are band aid fixes for their own breaks...

Anyway, sorry that was a tangent, haha. Back to tuning and RecklessTX's tune. :)

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Yeah 45 PSI doesn't sound right. The most I recall seeing anyone running is 32psi on the stock turbo. After that it just generates waste heat, not any extra airflow.
You would need an actual boost gauge to read higher than that. As Brokendownbutgood stated, the factory map sensor can't read higher.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The only tunes I have done have been just for myself, and I never plan on selling. I really enjoy reviewing other tunes and seeing how they compare to others though and hope to add RecklessTX's tunes to my list of compared tunes.

The EPA in the united states requires very low NOX production. Unfortunately for diesels, NOX is very easily produced because of the high temps required for complete combustion. The main reason pilot injection was invented and used is to reduce combustion temperatures in order to reduce NOX gases. A side benefit is reduced noise. Which to me isn't a benefit because I like the way diesels sound.

Its really dumb, because they reduce the temps which then reduce the efficiency of the combustion, causing an incomplete burn of the fuel, which wastes fuel and creates soot. Now in order to counter the direct consequence of lower combustion temps that produce more soot, they require a DPF to capture the extra soot. But the DPF needs to purge the soot eventually before it plugs up, so what do they do? Inject fuel into the DPF to raise the temps high enough to burn off the soot. Well, now this produces more NOX, so they added and SCR into the mix to capture the NOX again, and then DEF is injected into the SCR to clean out the NOX.

If you try to look at how and what they require, its not logical. Especially considering that NOX dissipates into the atmosphere within 24hours and turns into oxygen. All of this is the results of California's testing, stating NOX causes cancer. Well, if it was such a huge issue, every trucker we know would die of cancer. Soot is also heavy, and falls to the ground.

Gas vehicles produce more Carbon dioxide than diesels do by nature. And according to the EPA, that is what is destroying our planet, not NOX. But, Carbon dioxide is also required for life, as the plants use it for food. Gardens and greenhouses have Carbon dioxide producing machines to help the plants grow. All of this seems counterproductive and our science seems to be so confusing and messed up its ridiculous.

And I didn't even mention the EGR, which is one of the worst things to come to diesels as it circulates the soot back into the engine. They use the EGR to reduce combustion temps, so less burned fuel, more soot and the cycle repeats itself over and over again within your truck. Its mind boggling to think of how many things are band aid fixes for their own breaks...

Anyway, sorry that was a tangent, haha. Back to tuning and RecklessTX's tune. :)
So basically we should just need the SCR and DEF to help reduce the NOx output. Just calibrate efficient combustion so we get minimal soot output with complete burns and use after treatment to handle the bigger NOx output. But the EPA being the EPA requires EGRs on diesels so I just screws everything up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Welcome Recklesstx
It's refreshing to have another tuner join this forum. Your join has already generated two pages of great information. I am a tune user and looking forward to hearing more about your products and experiences.

·
Registered
429 Posts
You would need an actual boost gauge to read higher than that. As Brokendownbutgood stated, the factory map sensor can't read higher.
I'm not disagreeing with the limit of the sensor, but I still don't believe anyone is running 45psi. Stock is 25psi, I think we can all agree with that. MR Tuning lists the boost levels for their tunes:

Jeep / Dodge Ram 1500 3.0L V6 Ecodiesel (2014 - 2018)

Their tunes with stock turbo are at 28 and 29 psi. Now you could blame this on the stock sensor, but their upgraded turbo tune only goes to 33psi (with an upgraded 4 Bar MAP). If I recall PPEI was around similar boost levels with their off-road tunes when you could find information about them.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
I'm not disagreeing with the limit of the sensor, but I still don't believe anyone is running 45psi. Stock is 25psi, I think we can all agree with that. MR Tuning lists the boost levels for their tunes:

Jeep / Dodge Ram 1500 3.0L V6 Ecodiesel (2014 - 2018)

Their tunes with stock turbo are at 28 and 29 psi. Now you could blame this on the stock sensor, but their upgraded turbo tune only goes to 33psi (with an upgraded 4 Bar MAP). If I recall PPEI was around similar boost levels with their off-road tunes when you could find information about them.
Gdes set point is mid 40psi range as is Sfts (looking at the set points within hptuners).

I'm guessing mrtunings set point is close to that as well. However fuel and cylinder pressure will also effect final boost pressure. The turbo is just allowed to go that high of other things support it, which I don't think they will.

·
Premium Member
2,904 Posts
Gdes set point is mid 40psi range as is Sfts (looking at the set points within hptuners).

I'm guessing mrtunings set point is close to that as well. However fuel and cylinder pressure will also effect final boost pressure. The turbo is just allowed to go that high of other things support it, which I don't think they will.
The map sensor on these read psia not psi there is a big difference about 14.5 to be exact.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Yeah, the values in HP Tuners never made sense to me and I assumed they were just using an incorrect multiplier. The multipliers I typically used for the raw maps that I found online were in PSI, but if HP Tuners uses PSIA then that would account for the difference.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
The map sensor on these read psia not psi there is a big difference about 14.5 to be exact.
Thanks for pointing that out. I wasn't paying close enough attention. Makes a big difference.

·
Registered
504 Posts

Pilot injection was invented to reduce engine noise at stop lights ect. it originated back in the day of pintle nozzle injectors.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Pilot injection was invented to reduce engine noise at stop lights ect. it originated back in the day of pintle nozzle injectors.
That's correct. I forgot noise reduction came first. It helps a more gradual built in pressure, kind of a ramp up, which reduces the diesel clatter.

I'm planning on digging into RecklessTX's tune and testing it against the other tunes I have. Pretty excited for it, I love doing this!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello I would like to introduce myself to the forum and I hope I am not breaking and forum rules, if so I apologize.

I am the owner of a performance shop in Texas that has just released out full line of tuning with different options available.

we also work on the ecodiesel, and we are not here for a pissing match with any other shops.

our current test vehicle that I personally drive

2016 Laramie crew cab 5’7” box
34” tires
3.55 gears
Block off plates
Straight piped
30mpg on Highway
60whp over stock

we offer trans tuning by itself, we also have options for people who are trying to keep their current tuning but want to be able to flash their vehicle stock in case of updates.

please message me if you have have questions over the process or pricing, pricing is affordable and very competitive. We also have customers who can vouch for us.
will you have any tunes for the 20/21 eco diesel?

21 - 40 of 42 Posts