RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize for the fairly basic question. I have a diesel already in the form of a VW that I enjoy, and am needing to replace my SUV with a truck. I would appreciate opinions on Diesel vs Gas (I know), but my usage is different than most people who I think seek out a diesel.

I don't do any towing, instead my usage is primarily off roading (with admittedly a loaded vehicle). I do think diesel in general is the better technology, but I am unsure with the modern emissions if they work for how I use my vehicle:

• I work from home, so no short commutes to work
  • Most drives are in the city, with a duration of about 20 to 30min of driving (not sure if this is considered short?)
  • Once or twice a month I do a couple hours of highway driving to either get to the mountains or family
  • Besides that, off roading, which is often slow going and with a fair bit of idling
  • I am NOT a lead foot off the line by any means, I try to drive reasonably

I am not concerned about the initial purchase cost, or the oil / fuel filter maintenance. I am more concerned about if the engine will serve my needs long term.

With my usage would a diesel be a good choice? Anything I should or should not do in order to ensure long term reliability?

Thank you in advanced for any opinions!

·
Premium Member
2015 RAM 1500 CC 4x4
5,141 Posts
I would also say no.

I like trying new things, I would either look at the 2.7 GM it has quite a bit of bottom end that comes in very low like 1500 rpm. Or a 2.7 ecoboost.

Caution.... I like the smaller displacement forced induction motors.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unless you tune/delete. not enough high-speed driving to cook off the dpf.
This is essentially my fear. I don't drive a lot, but at least hoped one or two good trips a month would be enough for the dpf.

How much does it take to heat up enough to clean the dpf?

Thank you

·
Super Moderator
943 Posts
Highway driving in summer about 15 minutes, in winter, well that will be a bunch longer. Around -15F, I'll probably drive at least 10-12 miles before the temp gauge gets to the normal spot in the middle and a bit longer for the trans temp to be normal. And then you have to add another 12-15 minutes of driving to get a full clean out.

·
Registered
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn 4x4 Ecodiesel
17 Posts
I apologize for the fairly basic question. I have a diesel already in the form of a VW that I enjoy, and am needing to replace my SUV with a truck. I would appreciate opinions on Diesel vs Gas (I know), but my usage is different than most people who I think seek out a diesel.

I don't do any towing, instead my usage is primarily off roading (with admittedly a loaded vehicle). I do think diesel in general is the better technology, but I am unsure with the modern emissions if they work for how I use my vehicle:

• Most drives are in the city, with a duration of about 20 to 30min of driving (not sure if this is considered short?)
  • Once or twice a month I do a couple hours of highway driving to either get to the mountains or family
  • Besides that, off roading, which is often slow going and with a fair bit of idling

I am not concerned about the initial purchase cost, or the oil / fuel filter maintenance. I am more concerned about if the engine will serve my needs long term.

With my usage would a diesel be a good choice? Anything I should or should not do in order to ensure long term reliability?

What part of the U.S. do you live in? Does your truck sit most of the week like mine and then you put 100 miles or so on it on a Saturday or Sunday road trip? If so and provided you're in a southern climate then you can easily get your engine up to temp to burn off dpf. Granted, if you're driving it three miles each day and then shutting it down without getting it hot on the highway, then you're in for an issue but otherwise IMHO you will be fine. Mine sits all week long and never moves as I'm working from home. But on Saturday or Sunday, I easily put 150 miles on it for a road trip of fishing, visiting friends or simply taking the wife out to explore a small town in Texas. And that is another key - this is Texas where it stays warm most of the year...don't think I'd do that if I was living in North Dakota or somewhere the diesel might have issues getting up to to temp to burn dpf.

Reactions: 3DHawkeye

·
Registered
66 Posts
I’ll go against the grain and say yes with the caveat that you know what you’re getting into.

I have a similar use case - work from home, short trips, idling, a few highway trips a week, off-road trips to the lake / lease and tow infrequently. I’m 6500 miles in and have 12 regens averaging 541 miles between them.

I’ve had ZERO issues.

·
Registered
2015 ED
6 Posts
Im feeling the same way except I just bought a 2015. Most of my driving is a few miles each way. Four days a week I go to town about 20 mile round trip but only 7 miles each way is freeway driving. If I drop down a gear or two and raise the RPM will that work to clean the DPR? Is it the RPM we need to clean??

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
You can do a regen in park. I did one today waiting in the bank parking lot. WOT in park , regen goes quickly, motor will only rev to 2800 rpms or so. You can do a regen in stop and go traffic, but a bit of a pita. I love my Ecodiesel, but I drive over 3,000 miles a month and it's tuned. I'm voting no for your application.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Full operating temps and non stop speed for at least 15 minutes.
I believe I would hit this a couple times a month, with very few miles otherwise. Would that be ok?

If you can't tell, I certainly would prefer diesel haha. I just want to make sure I don't run into issues with my usage.

Thank you everyone for the help!

·
Super Moderator
3,766 Posts
I think your fine with a tune unless you are in northern Canada

Reactions: Dennisvab

·
Registered
2014 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel, GDE Hot Tune, Rebel front end conversion.
288 Posts
This is one of the reasons I fully deleted. A lot of my driving is short. If you’re able to fully delete in your area this is something to consider. Although it is a legitimate concern to be able to pass inspections in the future. Especially with where everything is headed. NY passed legislation to stop new gasoline sales after 2035.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I think people are needlessly afraid of this. I've had two of these Gen 3 EcoDiesels, zero issues. I drive city a lot. There is a great regen system on these new ones. No need to do anything special. Just drive it. With ESS especially, they do great in the city. You will never know the difference between this and a gas engine. Don't overthink it.

Reactions: Dennisvab

·
Registered
1 Posts
The 3rd gen I have, has 15911 trouble free miles. Often a 6 mile trip to pick up kids. Even have Banks Derringer and Pedal Monster. Would pick over Hemi again. Great MPG too.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn 4x4 Ecodiesel
17 Posts
I think people are needlessly afraid of this. I've had two of these Gen 3 EcoDiesels, zero issues. I drive city a lot. There is a great regen system on these new ones. No need to do anything special. Just drive it. With ESS especially, they do great in the city. You will never know the difference between this and a gas engine. Don't overthink it.
I agree with you with one note for the OP - Rams do not have the ESS like the Jeep Ecodiesel. (Adding this so the OP doesn't assume a new Ram will have ESS)

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Depending on the age of your VW diesels, you may already know what you're getting into. If your VW is newer than 09, you know the issues of the common rail. If it's a newer Passat or a 15, then you know about AdBlue. These 3l V6 engines are not substantially different, including the Bosch CP 4.x high pressure fuel pump. City dirving and idling causes issues that can be cleaned up with highway runs.

Rock crawling adds a totally different abuse. My comment here is that if the diesel engine wasn't made for it, then FCA would not be dropping it into Jeeps. You just have to remember after a day of crawling to get it on the highway for a clean out run.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I would stay away from the older ecodiesels. Too many issues that would leave you stranded unless you're traveling with others. The Gen 3 eco seems to have less issues or they just haven't shown themselves yet.

With your driving style, I wouldn't shy away from a diesel. Just need to do homework as they all have their quirks & not every shop has a mechanic that knows how to fix them.

·
Premium Member
2015 RAM 1500 CC 4x4
5,141 Posts
It is very simple to me. The ecodiesel, or any modern diesel for that matter has more potential issues for failure. The turbo costs as much as a new gas engine. The HPFP and the rest of the system costs as much as 2 new gas motors.

If you do not have a massive burning desire to want to have a diesel, you are not taking advantage of most of its strong suits and your intended purpose may cause the emissions systems to be more problematic or inefficient. It is a foolish move in my opinion to buy one. If you drive a lot, tow vehicle appropriate loads etc. then knock yourself out, but from your description you would be better served in every way by a different vehicle.

·
Registered
2021 Ram 2500 Tradesman Crew Cab 6.7 L Turbo Cummins 3.73
1,389 Posts

I would go gasoline if I didn't tow the RV so much (about half the miles) . Diesels have their good points, which is towing RV,s and better mileage. But, they are more expensive to maintain, you have the cost of Diesel Exhaust Fluid, oil changes cost more because diesel engines use more high dollar oil in the engine. They are cold blooded too, if you live in a cold place more attention needs to be addressed towards getting the engine hot. Too many short cold trips can muck things up.

I saw three 2021 Ram 1500 Pentastar 3.6 L V6 Turbo gasoline trucks recently for sale at the dealer, they went quick at $36,xxx. They get good mileage too, and you can still tow if you need to. I thought those were a hell of a deal in these days when it's hard to find a truck.

The one thing coming from a Chevy Silverado to the Ram 1500 (Ecodiesel) was the Ram 1500 was very comfortable. I bought that truck in Idaho, and drove it back home to Alaska. It was like driving a car, nice seats, good vision, you sit up higher, just comfortable overall.

I have a 2500 Cummins now, and I miss the ride of the 1500 sometimes.

Good luck on your search.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts