RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
I would also say no.

I like trying new things, I would either look at the 2.7 GM it has quite a bit of bottom end that comes in very low like 1500 rpm. Or a 2.7 ecoboost.

Caution.... I like the smaller displacement forced induction motors.
I'm averaging 23 mpg on my 2.7 ecoboost driving it like a grandma, also love the 12" screen (2021)

·
Registered
745 Posts
I have had very good luck with the ecodiesel engine itself. With 132k miles and over 5000 hrs on the engine only thing that's replaced on the engine is serpentine belt/ tensioner.
With that said, I have had several quality issues with chrysler parts on the truck. Not too impressed with rest of the truck.
Engine/trans combination is the best I have had. Rest of the truck not so much.
So, it's safe for me to say VM engine is better quality then chrysler parts on this truck. Everything that failed so far had chrysler stamped on it.

·
Premium Member
2015 RAM 1500 CC 4x4
5,149 Posts
I am a little surprised, not to say I thought RAM was poor quality, but in almost 110,000 miles the only parts that have broke were the tone wheel and the coolant cap. Other than that I haven't even replaced a light bulb. I consider that good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Thank you everyone for your perspective. This is very helpful to me.

...I have had several quality issues with chrysler parts on the truck....
This would be my first Chrysler vehicle, and is certainly a concern too. I have definitely seen this feeling before, but would say GMC be any better? I get the feeling that all modern trucks kind of suffer in this way.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
All modern vehicles have issues. Even the top cars on JD Powers, Toyota and Honda, are not what they used to be.

·
Super Moderator
946 Posts
Well on the other side, I had the timing chain cover glued back on about a year and a half ago. Figured all was well until I was under the truck doing the front diff oil change 2 days ago, damn, it's starting to leak again, I would guess within a month I'll be putting kitty litter on the driveway to soak it up. Fortunately it's still under warranty for another year and a bit. My son's truck, bought same day, 1 VIN apart, has been in 3 times for the same thing. So, it's time to Fix It again Tony. I don't know why they didn't use an actual gasket instead of sealer in a tube. Any word if any of the newer engines are doing that?

·
Registered
745 Posts
-3 way coolant valve
-Leather seat issues with only 200 miles on dash
-Instrument cluster plastic cover cracked for no reason.
-Fog lights rattled while driving.
-Headliner around sunroof dropped. New headliner put in at 35k miles it's doing the same thing again.
-Tail light leds failing. Dead diodes on both sides.
-Driver side door seal issues.
-3rd brake light leaking.
-Instrument cluster lcd display has failed led making it flash randomly.
-Radiator mounting left loose from factory.
- Cheap bolts on exhaust flange breaking prematurely.
-Tailgate dropping (Recall)
-Fuel lift pump in the fuel tank failed. Mopar

The list can go on forever. Have this truck for last 5 years. And have my wife's vw tdi for last 16 years. The 16 year old vehicle has had less go wrong in 16 years then the 5 year old vehicle. But overall I am still impressed with the ram.

·
Premium Member
2015 RAM 1500 CC 4x4
5,149 Posts
-3 way coolant valve
-Leather seat issues with only 200 miles on dash
-Instrument cluster plastic cover cracked for no reason.
-Fog lights rattled while driving.
-Headliner around sunroof dropped. New headliner put in at 35k miles it's doing the same thing again.
-Tail light leds failing. Dead diodes on both sides.
-Driver side door seal issues.
-3rd brake light leaking.
-Instrument cluster lcd display has failed led making it flash randomly.
-Radiator mounting left loose from factory.
- Cheap bolts on exhaust flange breaking prematurely.
-Tailgate dropping (Recall)
-Fuel lift pump in the fuel tank failed. Mopar

The list can go on forever. Have this truck for last 5 years. And have my wife's vw tdi for last 16 years. The 16 year old vehicle has had less go wrong in 16 years then the 5 year old vehicle. But overall I am still impressed with the ram.
There is a story like this for every manufacturer.

The problem I see is somebody singling out the most problematic segment of vehicle when they have no upside really to be gained from what that type of vehicle does well.

Will the diesel work? Probably so. If your making and informed decision, is it the right/good/best fit for your use? No.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Honestly love my Eco. The Ram is super comfortable truck. From the sounds of it I would think your use would be fine for the ED unless you live far north. Mine will regen even in short runs as long it gets up to temp.

·
Registered
2020 Ram 4x2 Eco Gen III, Laramie crew, air susp. DSA rear end, barn door tail gate
139 Posts
If I might add my 3 cents worth here.... the Gen III Eco, go for it, you won't regret it.. it's awesome... I have also owned a Gen II... but, the Gen III it can be a beast, it's awesome, and the best fuel econ of the two generations... You have a couple of choices, Ram 1500, then the Jeep....
Now there is another choice, GM produced the mid sized Colorado and the GMC variant with a 2.8L VM Motori diesel branded again as a Duramax... I think, I'm not sure, but, I think, GM still produces this variant, 25 to 28mpg, maybe... I've never driven one of these, touched one, but no test drive.... VM Motori also provided to VW a power plant or two over the years in the TDI series.. so, this little GM power plant maybe similar to the TDI VW power plant...
Now, one other suggestion, and I wouldn't touch it, GM supposedly was coming out with their own 3.0L straight six diesel, I saw the specs on it, and was not impressed, oil pump belt driven, equals future nightmare, they wrote that it was a 150K mile maintenance free pump, but they also fail to tell you, that you have to drop the trany to get to it... so have I touched one, nope, have never seen one in captivity... Ford, F-150 3.0L Range Rover diesel aka Power Stroke, Lo to no sales...Ford dropped them like a hot rock... drove one them to compare to my old Gen II Eco, the Motori Eco even in a Gen II was better... Fords dumping a ton of R&D into their electric truck, you'll need to invest in a towed Generator to plug and play after so many miles, and Wind Turbines along the road don't come with charging stations...
GEN III Eco diesels, very impressive for a small power plant...

·
Registered
453 Posts
Based on what you are saying I would not do a diesel, I would actually do a V6 that is boosted. What is amazing is that 4 cylinder engines can deliver 500 BHP. So you should consider that for lowest cost of ownership. Diesel repair costs are only going up up up, and that is per my service tech at the dealer. Who I respect, but know is telling me the truth. They typically, try not to scare the children.

But owning a diesel once in my life was my goal and I have been lucky with 2016 ED.

But when the [email protected]#$ fails, bring the money bags.

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 Tradesman commercial duty, CC, ED, 6'4"
55 Posts
In a Ram, I'd get the V6. Most reliable engine in the Ram line-up. Tons of power.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Suppose you could hedge your bets and lease a diesel.
But with Ford pulling out of light diesels, how long until others do as well?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Ford has only offered the diesel in the F150 at the top trim for a couple of years and they had major problems with those. I doubt that the other manufacturers will react to them pulling that engine. GM and FCA are probably more concerned with the F150 lightning.

·
Registered
425 Posts
The reason Ford pulled their diesel is because those morons brought to market the oldest diesel engine they could find, with the lowest power ratings and worst MPG, that I believe also has a poor design with a timing belt. And nobody wanted it...imagine that. So Ford assumed people don't like diesels.

Well, it's not that people don't like diesels, it's that people didn't like YOUR diesel.

Gosh, bean counters and CEOs are so ignorant sometimes. But what would you expect from the company who tried to force feed tiny engines with turbos to everybody in America, and had so many TSBs and recalls on the first generation that they scrapped them altogether and started over again from scratch?

The "take rate" is really high for the EcoDiesel in the Ram/Jeep pickups. I don't think we'll see the EcoD go away for at least a few more years, and maybe not ever. The Ford Lightning is a great concept but won't work out for most people in the real world. It's the same cost per mile to drive it because electricity isn't free, it's extremely heavy, and it can't be "refilled" on any corner in America in five minutes time. The best solution currently is the diesel engine and a diesel-electric hybrid would probably be as efficient and practical as you could possibly make a pickup.

Reactions: jent

·
Super Moderator
3,771 Posts
Ford 3.0 was the 3rd best of of 3 but Ford failed its 3.0 liter diesel not the other way around. Aside from that IMO spot on. Like trains diesel powered generator could be the ultimate pick up.

·
Registered
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn 4x4 Ecodiesel
24 Posts
The reason Ford pulled their diesel is because those morons brought to market the oldest diesel engine they could find, with the lowest power ratings and worst MPG, that I believe also has a poor design with a timing belt. And nobody wanted it...imagine that. So Ford assumed people don't like diesels.

Well, it's not that people don't like diesels, it's that people didn't like YOUR diesel.

Gosh, bean counters and CEOs are so ignorant sometimes. But what would you expect from the company who tried to force feed tiny engines with turbos to everybody in America, and had so many TSBs and recalls on the first generation that they scrapped them altogether and started over again from scratch?

The "take rate" is really high for the EcoDiesel in the Ram/Jeep pickups. I don't think we'll see the EcoD go away for at least a few more years, and maybe not ever. The Ford Lightning is a great concept but won't work out for most people in the real world. It's the same cost per mile to drive it because electricity isn't free, it's extremely heavy, and it can't be "refilled" on any corner in America in five minutes time. The best solution currently is the diesel engine and a diesel-electric hybrid would probably be as efficient and practical as you could possibly make a pickup.
I hate to ask but what is a “take rate”?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
number of specific options sold per total number of vehicles manufactured. Let's say that the take rate on diesels in the 1500 is 30. That means that FCA builds 30 out of every 100 trucks with the diesel engine. When GM started to put the diesel in the Canyon/Colorado, they limited the total available in North America to 20%.

·
Registered
67 Posts
If you want to guess how well the F150 lightning hybrid will do in the market, take a look at other electric vehicles and subtract 30% or more effectiveness.

Tesla, GM and Honda among others, produce EV’s that just carry people and their belongings with mixed (250 - 300 mile) range. None of them haul anything heavy, tow anything heavy and aren’t recharged quickly.

This is a bunch of hog wash, snake oil, witches brew, etc… saying it will replace any gas or diesel equivalent that does real work. Weekend warriors, wanna-be’s and posers will likely adopt it because it makes them greener.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts