RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about trading my Ram 1500 Sport in for a Big Horn diesel but I am getting a little concern that there appears to be a problem with these trucks as I am seeing more and more post where the CEL light is coming on.
I ran into this problem when I bought a 2007 Cummins and my CEL came on every 2 weeks after the dealer would check it. I got tired of it after 6 months and could not get the dealer to lemon it so I sold it. I don't want to run into the same situation with the new 1500 diesel. How many of you are having problems and how many have not had an issue at all. I may wait for the 2015's but I am afraid they will raise the price of the diesel dramatically each year that I wait.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I dont really think so. You have to remember, on the internet the only time people are going to post things generally is to say something is wrong. thats what brought them to the different forums. So by doing all your looking around, research and whatnot online. Keep that in mind. How many posts do you see saying "just checking in, no issues here"? probably none. So out of however many units they have sold, you can probably find 100 or so posts with the trucks having issues. which in reality is maybe 15% of the trucks sold, and probably another 10% of truck have issues that you dont hear about because people arnt on the forums. Odd's are, there's no more of a problem with these trucks as there are anything else

·
Registered
730 Posts
I dont really think so. You have to remember, on the internet the only time people are going to post things generally is to say something is wrong. thats what brought them to the different forums. So by doing all your looking around, research and whatnot online. Keep that in mind. How many posts do you see saying "just checking in, no issues here"? probably none. So out of however many units they have sold, you can probably find 100 or so posts with the trucks having issues. which in reality is maybe 15% of the trucks sold, and probably another 10% of truck have issues that you dont hear about because people arnt on the forums. Odd's are, there's no more of a problem with these trucks as there are anything else
You know, lots of people make this argument but on this forum it doesn't apply, and this is why. Almost nobody has come to this forum with problems because of their problem, almost all of them were members here before they even got their truck, or just after taking delivery before the problems occurred. I do think there is a problem at a much higher rate than normal. When there's only 10,000 or so units in the wild and RAM dealerships across the country can't even fix the problems they know about because they can't get the parts (sensors and such) because there's not enough, that is a bad sign.

What is alarming to me is not the rate of people experiencing the same or similar issue, it's that 90% of them are having it within the first 5,000-7,500 miles. There is no excuse for that IMO.

·
Registered
231 Posts
You know, lots of people make this argument but on this forum it doesn't apply, and this is why. Almost nobody has come to this forum with problems because of their problem, almost all of them were members here before they even got their truck, or just after taking delivery before the problems occurred. I do think there is a problem at a much higher rate than normal. When there's only 10,000 or so units in the wild and RAM dealerships across the country can't even fix the problems they know about because they can't get the parts (sensors and such) because there's not enough, that is a bad sign.

What is alarming to me is not the rate of people experiencing the same or similar issue, it's that 90% of them are having it within the first 5,000-7,500 miles. There is no excuse for that IMO.
I agree with you totally. Many of us were here before the trucks and the ones on here that now have them I would say there are a good percentage of trucks with problems from sensors or other issues. Well to be expected on a new engine line and stuff. They do not have a network of mechanics to deal with these issues because they are new to them. Engine may of been used elsewhere but new in the USA and Canada and the dealerships don't have the parts or trained support to fix many things. I do believe in the next 2 to 3 years there will be more diesels on the road than gas engine trucks in half tons and smaller due to fuel economy is so much better and still get good towing and stuff being diesel. I really want one and have been looking but haven't found one on lot around me in a Laramie with the color id want. Good chance it will be at least 4 months before these dealer actually get any in stock of any numbers and will be 2015s when they really do. Maybe even 6 months.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Let's see.
1676 forum members according to the membership list. Many of those are probably spam accounts.
523 members have more than one post, so I'll call those the active members.
45 members have at least 100 posts, so I'll call those the core members.
I have lost count of how many forum members have a new truck but I'll bet it is less than 100.
I don't know how many members have reported having warranty problems (other than the recall) that required a visit to the dealer but I will guess 20.
I don't know how many Ram 1500 diesels have been delivered but I will guess 15,000.
We have a rather small sample here.

So, what does all that tell us?
Not much.
But it was fun looking at how far the forum has come since it started last year! I bet we have many more members a year from now.

For the record, I have not had any warranty problems, although I do have several issues with ordering and product design. The last new car we bought 11 years ago had a half-dozen warranty issues in the first few months but was great after those things were fixed. I don't know what to make of the Ram's complexity but am keeping my fingers crossed.

Ram 1500 quality during the first 3 months of ownership per JD Power is about average overall (116 problems per 100 vehicles) and powertrain quality is better than most. Predicted reliability is better than most.

I say we watch carefully for what problems others are having, support each other in finding solutions, and enjoy these beautiful machines.
For those who are wary of a first-year vehicle, that's okay. Soon our trucks will be old and you can benefit from our experience.

Reactions: Steve

·
Registered
391 Posts
sorry, i was not implying that people only come here to complain of problems. I realize many of us have been members before we had, or even ordered/bought/looked at these truck. myself included. Heck, ive never even driven one yet. (hopefully they drive as nice as they look) all i was getting at is generally speaking people only come to forums to research issues they are having. on this forum in perticular that doesnt really seem to be the case at all. I know the dealer that i got mine at they have sold a lot of them (i think over 100 they said) and only 3 have come in with any sort of issues related to the motor. Which to me sounds like pretty good odds.

now, what i have noticed, is that the issues that people are having all seem to be within th 4-7K mile range and involve either the air suspension or the emissions system. specifically the sensors. That to me doesnt sound bad, as that means all the engineers need to look into fixing are those two things. so they can focus theyre time on just that. instead of a bunch of random stuff. So in my mind, if there really is an issue. It should be solved soon anyway, and anyone who is affected by it will have it taken care of.

Thats my take on it anyway. I just hope that they are able to do a sort of "efi live" for it like on my 5.9 so we can get some respectable power out of them. Not having drivin one im pretty freaked out on only having 240/420 compared to what i am used to.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I received a CEL today at 4,260 miles. As said before, vehicle sample size is small and the group that is here are the early adopters. With that, comes the risk of being exposed to new or unknown problems. I knew there would be things to work out just as there is with any new vehicle or engine package or for that matter any new item. If I had to pick one thing that concerns me, it would be the durability of the emissions package and costs associated with that. Otherwise, I'm thrilled with my vehicle from every standpoint.

·
Registered
346 Posts
3300 miles and, thankfully, no issues.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I just hope that they are able to do a sort of "efi live" for it like on my 5.9 so we can get some respectable power out of them. Not having drivin one im pretty freaked out on only having 240/420 compared to what i am used to.
It has more than enough power and responsiveness for most any practical use, including highway merging and passing. If you want more, this is not the engine for you.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts

My understanding is they have produced 30K+ ram1500 eco's..... I think there will inevitably be some teething problems with such a new vehicle, but overall I think they are on par with any other manufacturer (check some ford/chev forums if you don't believe me!)

Reactions: SnowRidgeME

·
Registered
231 Posts
Let's see.
1676 forum members according to the membership list. Many of those are probably spam accounts.
523 members have more than one post, so I'll call those the active members.
45 members have at least 100 posts, so I'll call those the core members.
I have lost count of how many forum members have a new truck but I'll bet it is less than 100.
I don't know how many members have reported having warranty problems (other than the recall) that required a visit to the dealer but I will guess 20.
I don't know how many Ram 1500 diesels have been delivered but I will guess 15,000.
We have a rather small sample here.

So, what does all that tell us?
Not much.
But it was fun looking at how far the forum has come since it started last year! I bet we have many more members a year from now.

For the record, I have not had any warranty problems, although I do have several issues with ordering and product design. The last new car we bought 11 years ago had a half-dozen warranty issues in the first few months but was great after those things were fixed. I don't know what to make of the Ram's complexity but am keeping my fingers crossed.

Ram 1500 quality during the first 3 months of ownership per JD Power is about average overall (116 problems per 100 vehicles) and powertrain quality is better than most. Predicted reliability is better than most.

I say we watch carefully for what problems others are having, support each other in finding solutions, and enjoy these beautiful machines.
For those who are wary of a first-year vehicle, that's okay. Soon our trucks will be old and you can benefit from our experience.
There will be problems and I am still trying to find one on the ground I where I live in a color and Laramie and still no luck. Had a couple dealers offer me sticker minus rebates and I aid no thanks. I know most are getting about $7500 off sticker on Laramie and im not only going to get $1000 off. A few dealers here will give me good deal but they just don't have the any Laramies just the big horn package. Hopefully soon!!! I love diesel..

·
Registered
200 Posts
Anybody monitoring the Jeep forums to see how the ED is going over there?

I find my struggle is to determine whether a problem is ED specific or 1500 general. It might seem that a non-engine related electrical issue would be common across the engine options but the ED has somewhat different electrical componentry and it could affect the whole system.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
There will be problems and I am still trying to find one on the ground I where I live in a color and Laramie and still no luck. Had a couple dealers offer me sticker minus rebates and I aid no thanks. I know most are getting about $7500 off sticker on Laramie and im not only going to get $1000 off. A few dealers here will give me good deal but they just don't have the any Laramies just the big horn package. Hopefully soon!!! I love diesel..
Laramies come with much lower discounts than BigHorn packaged trucks. Dealer can't change that. And it's unlikely you're ever going to find a Laramie Ed in a color you want from a local dealer...unless you live next to one of the big volume dealers. If you do, buy a lotto ticket, too, because you'll be on a roll.

Fact is, these trucks are still scarce and with production about to change to '15 models, trucks on order are seeing projected delivery dates of late Fall...and dealer orders are a lower priority for production on the assembly line.

Not trying to crap in your wheat it's here, but there is a harsh reality most of us have bumped into trying to secure our trucks. It's either a 6 - 12 weeks wait on special order trucks, or lucking into a local truck, either with more or less than you want, with prices to match. A few here have managed to find local trucks, and we have a thread here for tracking local trucks at dealers, so that's worth reviewing.

Keep in mind that many dealers won't budge on pricing, too, with the perceived popularity of these trucks, which in this case is actual, real popularity.

·
Registered
556 Posts
If you want to see proof of this (what he posted above), go Ram Forumz for 2014 and search Hemi CEL. A number of Hemi's have been getting the CEL for bent/damaged rocker arms. The point is it happens. It does not mean the Hemi is a bad engine, etc. but sometimes a few make it into the pipeline geting through QA, etc.

This is the first year for the vehicle with the diesel - even though the engine has been around, there are bound to be some teething problems. But so far it would not be classified as an epidemic - until that is my CEL comes on....and then it will hit the fan....lol.:cool:

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Thats my take on it anyway. I just hope that they are able to do a sort of "efi live" for it like on my 5.9 so we can get some respectable power out of them. Not having drivin one im pretty freaked out on only having 240/420 compared to what i am used to.
I've got an '06 5.9 with 6 speed. I have to say this 3.0 feels like a Ferrari compared to my truck. Unloaded, it's surprisingly peppy. Also the brakes, again unloaded, are very robust. All I've done was a test drive but I did a couple 0-80 mph runs and one 60-0 brake. The truck felt great, like wow this is impressive great! As for towing, we all know it won't be the effortless affair of the bigger truck. For me it's more about chassis than anything else though. I'm coming from a crew cab, 8 ft bed. I plan on adding airbags and weight dist hitch to make up for the smaller chassis. From what I've read on here the motor/tranny combo should be fine pulling the load.

·
Registered
391 Posts
robertm - good to hear! I look forward to finally getting to drive it once my truck gets out of the body shop.

bogfoot - i am deffinatley worried that i may have made a mistake power wise, as my 5.9 had about 600/1250. But, I do look forward to seeing what these trucks do. It is very strange buying a truck without ever even driving one. But, what is wrong with wanting more power? Im not saying that these things are dogs from what i hear, just hoping that we can get a little extra out of them.

·
Registered
730 Posts
My understanding is they have produced 30K+ ram1500 eco's....

VM Motori has the ability to produce 100,000 engines a year, approximately half of which now come to the US. EcoCherokees take rate is at 15,000 units leaving some 35,000 engines available for the RAM in an entire year. They would have had to have one hell of a stock pile of engines ready to go before production to have built 30,000 already when we're only 1/3rd of a year though sales.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts