RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts
But is the cost of maintenance really that much more than a gasser? Other than oil changes (I do my own) what other additional costs? DEF I guess.
well there is the fuel filter, but you can always ask someone who has a gasser how much it would cost to change the fuel filter on their truck? (It's in the fuel tank and part of pump).
DEF cost is outrageous I tell you... something like $0.001 a mile ...lol

An oil change cost me about $35 to do myself. An oil change on my ED (using a mopar filter and rotella) costs me about $100.
If you watch for sales and rebates on the oil, you can get that $$ closer to $70, if you use a different filter now it's $60ish.
I'm guessing that $35 oil change wasn't a synthetic. Now compare that to Hemi oil change using 7 quarts of premium full synthetic oil and OEM filter. The price isn't all that different.

It’s been worth it to me.

I had a 2014 F-150 5.0 that averaged 14-15 mpg, best I ever got was a one-way trip from WV to Hilton Head @ 18.5 mpg. It had 135,000 miles with nothing more than regular maintenance.

2016 Eco 3.92 - I average 22mpg per tank, I don’t calculate mileage for short trips. 75% highway mileage @70-75. Best tank was 27mpg. 130,000 miles currently; also nothing more than regular maintenance.

On my 2016, diesel was less expensive than gas in Calgary, and I gloated at that. I put 15,000 kilometers on it one Summer, and loved every minute of it. It was GDE tuned and absolutely flawless.I didn't put that many kilos on my 2017, also GDE tune, however it had the 3.92 axle and slightly less fuel economy, but nevertheless loved the ownership equally. I'm waiting for FCA to fix the EGR issue, and will probably buy a left-over 2019 or a 2020, providing I can get a favourable price. Meanwhile, I have a back-up GDE full delete ECU for sale while I wait.

Reactions: sourdo and MR. TED
It's costing me 0.126/mile over 50k miles but I have no way to compare that to anything else. But very unscientifically, using Fuelly I see the average mpg of a 5.7 Ram 1500 Crew cab is around 16mpg. Fuelly does not account for 4x4 or towing in their filtering so I would bet that's a little high. I spent $6289 on diesel Using my states 2019 gas average of $2.45 for reg I would have spent $7656 with a Hemi.

the hemi numbers are ballpark because I don't know what the avg mpg would be for a hemi configured like my truck and driven the way I do but I certainly, absolutely worst case would have more than broke even and I believe the hemi mpg is a bit high so I might have saved even more than I calculated.

Reactions: sourdo
Hemi maintenance costs are pretty tough to beat. There always seems to be sales on 5 quart jugs of full synthetic oil ($13-16/5 qt jug). And the oil sump is smaller (7 quarts versus ED's 10). One advantage living in the city with a gasser is nicely discounted costco fuel (plus the additional 4% off when using costco's visa card). I know there's a handful of costco's selling diesel just none near me.

It's costing me 0.126/mile over 50k miles but I have no way to compare that to anything else. But very unscientifically, using Fuelly I see the average mpg of a 5.7 Ram 1500 Crew cab is around 16mpg. Fuelly does not account for 4x4 or towing in their filtering so I would bet that's a little high. I spent $6289 on diesel Using my states 2019 gas average of $2.45 for reg I would have spent $7656 with a Hemi.

the hemi numbers are ballpark because I don't know what the avg mpg would be for a hemi configured like my truck and driven the way I do but I certainly, absolutely worst case would have more than broke even and I believe the hemi mpg is a bit high so I might have saved even more than I calculated.
does your 0.126 number include a proration of the additional cost of the Ecodiesel? If not that will more than make offset your fuel savings over 100,000 miles or so. Current experience is you don't get any of the engine premium back on the tradein and might lose. That can change of course.

For the 2020 the engine price difference between a Pentastar and an Ecodiesel amounts to 5 cents per mile over a 100,000 mile period.

I decided on the Ecodiesel not on payback of the initial charge for the engine or better fuel economy. I chose the diesel based on the way it tows over the gas V8 engine I had in my Dakota. While towing in certain areas of the mountains of NC, my old Dakota would often need to rev really high to get my relatively light load (< 3000 lbs) over some of the hills. The same load with the Ecodiesel seldom gets the engine RPM over 2500, which makes for a much better towing experience. That plus double the fuel mileage while towing sealed the deal for me. I realize everyone has their own reasons for choosing gas or diesel. So far, I am happy with my decision.

howie12 said:
does your 0.126 number include a proration of the additional cost of the Ecodiesel? If not that will more than make offset your fuel savings over 100,000 miles or so. Current experience is you don't get any of the engine premium back on the tradein and might lose. That can change of course
For the 2020 the engine price difference between a Pentastar and an Ecodiesel amounts to 5 cents per mile over a 100,000 mile period.
No, that's strictly fuel. I personally don't actually care about the premium cost, I bought the truck because I wanted it and to me that cost is sunk and not thought about. What I do enjoy is driving the truck and the fuel mileage.

After our X-country trip last spring, Alaska to Florida and back, one thing was clear.

Due to state fuel taxes, diesel versus gasoline prices varied wildly from state to state. California was the worst where it's all $4 a gallon. Cross over to Arizona and it drops to under $3, for both. Missouri had some of the lowest priced fuel. I was there in 2017 before I bought the Eco, gasoline was well under $2 a gallon, if you buy that corn fed stuff. Gas was so cheap, I ran premium, and would get slightly better mileage, especially when pushing the wind and your foot was in it.

Yesterday I saw $2.799 for unleaded and $2.859 for diesel for Wasilla, Alaska at a Shell station.

For me, the extra average of 4.5 mpg while towing is just huge. I average towing with the Eco about 14.5 mpg. The old Silverado 5.3 6 sp was 10 mpg average.

With the Eco, I can get in a solid 6-8 hours of driving on one tank, even when towing. And when it needs fuel, so do I (beer) and 300 to 350 miles a day is enough anyway. This is the biggest reason to go diesel, range.

The Silverado 5.3 L? Drive 200 miles and start looking for a gas station because that 6 gallons left goes fast with a RV behind it. In fairness, both towed equally well. The Ram is a better ride. The time saved not stopping for fuel adds up.

If you tow and RV a lot like we do, a diesel is really the way to go. We sure like ours, it just clocked 34,000 miles, running great, no coolant usage, oil reports outstanding, I run the snot out of it, ALWAYS make sure it is properly heated up, and so far seems to be a real happy motor.

So, yes, it is worth it to me.

Funny how one rationolizes things. In Michigan diesel is about a buck more than gas, but usually a buck less than Cali. Kinda grinds at ya. But, I feel better as its always priced real close to gas in Cali. So in my simple mind I'm getting a deal as the Cummins gets better mileage than a gasser. That is until 25 gallons is over 100.00. First world problem....

I joined for free a program that allows me to buy diesel at next to wholesale prices as truckers get with commercial accounts. Go to www dot tsdlogistics dot com. Click on first tab fuel program. read about program and why a trucking company is offering this program. The more volume they use the bigger the discount. Fill out application on-line. I own a Jeep Overland Diesel, Ram 1500 Eco-Diesel and a motor home with a 8.9 Cummins. I have found using the past year that Loves stations along with their App is the most convenient and cheapest in prices for diesel. Example. Posted Cash price was $3.08 a gallon, I paid $2.54. Quite a bit of savings per gallon especially with motor home's 150 gallon tank. Put my name in referral area also. I get a credit of one time $25.00 on the person's first 100 gal purchase.

LOL ! You need to move . In AZ it is about the same price. Some times a little lower. Last week Diesel was 5 cents cheaper. Don know about today.
Mr. Ted, be on the lookout for us!

The house is going up for sale soon, were done up here.

Yea, Arizona is on the upper list.

I joined for free a program that allows me to buy diesel at next to wholesale prices as truckers get with commercial accounts. Go to www dot tsdlogistics dot com. Click on first tab fuel program. read about program and why a trucking company is offering this program. The more volume they use the bigger the discount. Fill out application on-line. I own a Jeep Overland Diesel, Ram 1500 Eco-Diesel and a motor home with a 8.9 Cummins. I have found using the past year that Loves stations along with their App is the most convenient and cheapest in prices for diesel. Example. Posted Cash price was $3.08 a gallon, I paid $2.54. Quite a bit of savings per gallon especially with motor home's 150 gallon tank. Put my name in referral area also. I get a credit of one time $25.00 on the person's first 100 gal purchase.
Since you have to use the truck lanes...do you find nozzles small enough for the Jeep and Ram? If so, what stations?

The semi fuel pump nozzles will fit in the Ram filler neck, just don't try to pump at full speed/volume.
My first fill up at a truckers nozzle did not go well, and I got a diesel shower on my right arm.

I stuffed the nozzle in, clicked it on full, and in about 45 seconds later, the nozzle clicked off, with my hand on it and whoosh, out comes a quart of fuel all over my arm and hand and a big mess on the ground. I was off center and my body didn't get a bath, but the lesson was not lost.

Safeway stores have a fuel rewards program. We can get anywhere up to a dollar off, that is ten points. With the longer intervals due to the great mileage, we get anywhere from 50-80 cents off a gallon a fuel depending on how many points we have. My last fill up was around $2.30 a gallon with the rewards program.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.