RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hope I don't jinx myself by giving a positive report, but here goes.

The last time I posted I said... "my 2016 ED had just under 59,000 miles. Within the last 10,000 miles and 9 months, my service electronic throttle control light came on, they said it would cost $800 to swap a valve, I fussed and they said if I bought a service pack they would cover it. Instead of swapping out the valve like they had told me, they swapped out a gasket, 2 weeks later its back in there and they swap the valve for free because they had already worked on it. They said there work was covered for 2 years. Month goes by and the catalytic converter goes out, this was replaced under warranty. They did the AEM with the catalytic converter. Couple weeks go by and my fan comes on, which stupid me thought was part of the AEM. After driving a little bit with the fan on, it gets louder and finally the engine overheating light comes on. I pop the hood and the coolant is very low. I drive my wife's car to the dealer to get the special OAT coolant which the auto part store didn't have, pour the whole gallon in because it was that low. Week later fan comes on again, so I take it to the dealer. They said it was the 3 way coolant valve, which is one of the 2 common problems when coolant is disappearing and the EGR cooler which is covered under warranty. They charge $500 for the part labor and coolant. Week after I got my truck back, fan comes on again, coolant is gone again. This time I call them and get it towed to the dealer"....

They said there was air left in the lines and that they got fixed it no problem. Week later, low coolant again. This time they kept it a couple weeks before declaring it was the water pump. While they had it this time I called FCA Customer Care, explained the situation and got my $500 back. Week later its low on coolant again. This time I stress the funny smell coming from the AC and they finally replace the EGR cooler. They replaced it with a new old EGA cooler, since the new design isn't available yet, but a few thousand miles later, it seems to be holding up.

I am of course nervous to any possible damage that could have happened during the months of coolant fluctuation so I had looked at trading it in. The couple of places I looked offered $21,000 and went up to $22,000 during negotiations for my 2016 Laramie ED with 63k miles for reference. MSRP $51k, $37k+TTL out the door. I received $600 from a fender bender and never replaced the rear bumper. I received the $3,075 for the AEM and I was in an accident with about $6000 in repairs. The trade in is just low enough to make me test the extended AEM warranty, since all the trucks with similar options to mine are around $45k and I do not feel like biting that bullet yet.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am hope I don't jinx myself by giving a positive report, but here goes.

The last time I posted I said... "my 2016 ED had just under 59,000 miles. Within the last 10,000 miles and 9 months, my service electronic throttle control light came on, they said it would cost $800 to swap a valve, I fussed and they said if I bought a service pack they would cover it. Instead of swapping out the valve like they had told me, they swapped out a gasket, 2 weeks later its back in there and they swap the valve for free because they had already worked on it. They said there work was covered for 2 years. Month goes by and the catalytic converter goes out, this was replaced under warranty. They did the AEM with the catalytic converter. Couple weeks go by and my fan comes on, which stupid me thought was part of the AEM. After driving a little bit with the fan on, it gets louder and finally the engine overheating light comes on. I pop the hood and the coolant is very low. I drive my wife's car to the dealer to get the special OAT coolant which the auto part store didn't have, pour the whole gallon in because it was that low. Week later fan comes on again, so I take it to the dealer. They said it was the 3 way coolant valve, which is one of the 2 common problems when coolant is disappearing and the EGR cooler which is covered under warranty. They charge $500 for the part labor and coolant. Week after I got my truck back, fan comes on again, coolant is gone again. This time I call them and get it towed to the dealer"....

They said there was air left in the lines and that they got fixed it no problem. Week later, low coolant again. This time they kept it a couple weeks before declaring it was the water pump. While they had it this time I called FCA Customer Care, explained the situation and got my $500 back. Week later its low on coolant again. This time I stress the funny smell coming from the AC and they finally replace the EGR cooler. They replaced it with a new old EGA cooler, since the new design isn't available yet, but a few thousand miles later, it seems to be holding up.

I am of course nervous to any possible damage that could have happened during the months of coolant fluctuation so I had looked at trading it in. The couple of places I looked offered $21,000 and went up to $22,000 during negotiations for my 2016 Laramie ED with 63k miles for reference. MSRP $51k, $37k+TTL out the door. I received $600 from a fender bender and never replaced the rear bumper. I received the $3,075 for the AEM and I was in an accident with about $6000 in repairs. The trade in is just low enough to make me test the extended AEM warranty, since all the trucks with similar options to mine are around $45k and I do not feel like biting that bullet yet.
And so it goes...

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Get rid of the thing.

There has been gallons of coolant flushed into that engine, cylinders, oil, exhaust etc that it just has to be a mess. What a shame that incompetent dealer mucked you around for so long and so often. Get while the going is good.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Your nightmare will end when you trade off the truck. If you documented the EGR issues such as saving the dealership receipts, then an engine failure should be covered under the AEM warranty due to the failure of the EGR. You haven't done anything to the truck except add coolant (an expect owner responsibility), and take it to the wheelership to get wheeled and dealt. However, if the engines does expire you may not get a replacement for several months as experienced by others here on the forum.

Question: Has the oil been changed during all of this? I would expect you or someone would have checked the oil to see if it has been contaminated. If not, pull a sample. Keep half in a marked container and send the other half to a lab. See if some of it got through to the oil. I suspect most of it went out the exhaust but its another step in the chain of proof.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice. I will have to check, but I think they changed the oil since the EGR was replaced. I am looking at a new Jeep. A couple months ago I was offered $21k trade in and $22k before I walked out because they added BS. If I find the right Jeep and can get $22k I will be free.

·
Registered
1 Posts
phprof is correct.

The only good EcoDiesel is one that is sitting AT the Dealership. FCA is a corrupt company peddling an inferior product. BE WARNED AND BEWARE!! Check with any Lemon Law/Breach of Warranty attorney and you will see the HORROR STORIES of many trusting owners who have been screwed. I probably sound like a bitter former owner and that would be correct.

Think about a lightly used 4 1/2 year old 1500 with under 50k miles on the odometer. Self serviced with correctly specified oil, filters, and fluids with a engine failure (main bearing) and a replacement engine that won't function properly....never made it more than 40 miles after replacement before bucking and periodic rough running began. It idles sweet and smooth, so if you just want to limp down the road about 40 - 50 mph using a super light foot it won't jerk you around too much. Any attempt at acceleration seems to enrage the beast to buck and jerk. NO codes No CELs. The dealership is stumped and refuses to make any moves not approved by "The STAR" team. The team just seems to want photos (not samples) of the diesel fuel. (Think they are getting ready to deny further work based on their often used "bad fuel" excuse??)

So it has now been 1 1/2 months out of service with the dealer waiting for direction from the mythical "STAR" experts. The dealership claims they are committed to making it "right" and getting the vehicle functioning properly again. At the same time they say they continue to wait for guidance from their experts who just want to look at emailed pictures of fuel samples and ponder on certain pressure readings they have requested. Perhaps I'm just a skeptic , but I
smell a foul rat.

IMO: If you have a functioning EcoDiesel your next trip should be to another brand dealer to salvage some trade in value. IF YOU ARE THINKING ABOUT THE NEW IMPROVED 2020 ECO POWERHOUSE.........DO YOURSELF A FAVOR......... DON'T BE STUPID, DON'T BE FOOLED BY FCA's COMPLIANT REVIEWERS AND PLANTED FORUM PARTICIPANTS , AND DON'T WASTE YOU HARD EARNED CASH ON AN ADMITTEDLY SWEET RIDE THAT SPURNS YOU IN THE LONG RUN.

All you FCA BOTS & phony forum participants bring it on!

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Total sour BS. I'll call this 1 poster out...total troll comment IMO. My ED has been internally flawless for over 5,078 hours of abuse.

Negotiating w/ a Lincoln dealer b/c my wife wants a Aviator. They are an Autonation Ford/Lincoln stealership...clueless and were stunned when I knew more about their autos than they did. Your writtings appear as if you are a Fix Or Repair Daley sycophant. Please forgive me if my suposition is incorrect 1st post.

·
Registered
322 Posts
FCA BOTS & phony forum participants? That got me a lol. I'm sure they look around every now and then, but to think they are here spying is kinda silly. I am happily driving my ED with the odometer right about 100k. I expect it to last much longer, like 90+% of them will and do..

At this point, regardless if they made things right, I don't think you will be a returning customer. IF you piss them off, and they know that you won't be coming back, you will most likely be the one on the short end of the stick.

Be kind, be patient and have a little humility.

·
Administrator
8,572 Posts
DON'T BE STUPID, DON'T BE FOOLED BY FCA's COMPLIANT REVIEWERS AND PLANTED FORUM PARTICIPANTS , AND DON'T WASTE YOU HARD EARNED CASH ON AN ADMITTEDLY SWEET RIDE THAT SPURNS YOU IN THE LONG RUN.

All you FCA BOTS & phony forum participants bring it on!
LOL

·
Registered
2017 1500 Tradesman Ecodiesel 4x4 Quad Cab 3.55 Gears
874 Posts
Funny, bots and phonies we are?

In 3 weeks my 2017 @34,8xx miles will be two years old.

It runs great. Even in winter with winter fuel, I cannot complain about MPG. Zero issues, thanks to certain letters of the alphabet.

The best part is I paid off the loan in January! I thought about trading up, but I have no reason too, so I'll just keep driving it.

So I think I'll just enjoy it being the phony bot I am, lol. I have a full extended warranty till 100,000 miles and 5 years, I'll just drive on.

Looking forward to that first camping trip!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts