RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I am new to the site and was hoping for some help/advice. I am on the market for a new Ram and am really towards the 1500 ecodiesel. I am moving to Alaska this summer from Kansas and was wondering you guys' thoughts on towing approximately 4,000 mi with this truck. We will be pulling the contents of our two bedroom apartment in a 7' x 16' enclosed trailer (2,200# empty). I estimate the total weight of the loaded trailer at around 7,500 - 8,500 lbs. We will be going over several mountain ranges as well as driving the Alcan highway up to Alaska - reliability is key.

Do you think the RAM 1500 ecodiesel is capable of this job? Or would I be better off with the 2500 Cummins?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
4000 miles with 7500+ lbs would be a much more enjoyable trip with the 2500. It will be an effortless affair without much thought or concern involved.

The 2500 is purpose built for the tow you are describing. Can the eco diesel do it? Sure, but it will be more fatiguing for you and I wouldn't try to make that tow in 2 days flat.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
4000 miles with 7500+ lbs would be a much more enjoyable trip with the 2500. It will be an effortless affair without much thought or concern involved.

The 2500 is purpose built for the tow you are describing. Can the eco diesel do it? Sure, but it will be more fatiguing for you and I wouldn't try to make that tow in 2 days flat.

+ 1

·
Registered
496 Posts
Are you buying it just for this one tow? Eco will do it fine, and then you don't have a truck that's bigger than what you need when you get there.

·
Registered
129 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for the responses. I should have clarified in my initial post that we DO NOT intend to do a lot of heavy or long distance towing after this trip (other than the occasional 4wheeler/snow machine).

I certainly agree the 2500 would be a more effortless tow over this distance, but was wondering if the 1500 ED would be worthy of the job. I know the 1500's ED engine has more than enough torque, but the published payload worries me a bit (I know this would be a huge advantage of opting for the 2500).

With that information in mind, what are your suggestions?

·
Registered
13,206 Posts
Been up that way a couple times. Beat the heck out of my motorcycles doing it too. I would buy an older vehicle to do the tow. To get a new 1500 Ecodiesel, which will do the job, and then beat it all to heck on the road north is a bit of a shame.

Will it work? Yes.

Will you like what the road north will do to your new vehicle? Heck no.

·
Registered
13,206 Posts
Then he got lucky. No rain, mud, gravel, rocks, washouts etc. He also did not get passed by or meet coming at him the many trucks that are common and fast throwing stuff all over you.. Must have picked the right time or year when frost heaves did not flat out tear up the surface.

It is possible. I would not bet on it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hello all, I am new to the site and was hoping for some help/advice. I am on the market for a new Ram and am really towards the 1500 ecodiesel. I am moving to Alaska this summer from Kansas and was wondering you guys' thoughts on towing approximately 4,000 mi with this truck. We will be pulling the contents of our two bedroom apartment in a 7' x 16' enclosed trailer (2,200# empty). I estimate the total weight of the loaded trailer at around 7,500 - 8,500 lbs. We will be going over several mountain ranges as well as driving the Alcan highway up to Alaska - reliability is key.

Do you think the RAM 1500 ecodiesel is capable of this job? Or would I be better off with the 2500 Cummins?

Thanks in advance!
A 1500 Ecodiesel will make the trip just fine. I have pulled my TT that weighs about 6000 lbs. when fully loaded through most of the big passes in Colorado and it did fine. I was not able run at the posted speed limits approaching the top of the passes like the Eisenhower tunnel, but I don't make that trip more than once or twice a year. If I did that type of driving once a month I would go with the 2500. I owned a 2010 2500 CTD before I purchase the Ecodiesel, and it is a much more capable truck when it comes to towing through the mountains. For a daily driver that is used for towing once in a while the Ecodiesel is a much better choice as long as you stay within it's capabilities. The ride is better and fuel economy when running empty is great! The only issue I can see with the trip your planning on taking is with the stock tires if you get the 20" rims on your Ecodeisel. The stock Goodyear tires are the week link on the 1500 Ecodeisel when driven on rough gravel roads for long periods of time. You might want to consider upgrading the rubber as many here have, to help you avoid any flat tires on your trip. I can tell you first hand that the stock tires on the 1500 are weak on gravel roads. My father and I hunted the Uncompahgre in Colorado a couple of years back, he had a 2012 Ram 1500 hemi with the 20" rims and the stock goodyear tires. He had 2 flats in the course of about a week that we were there hunting. I was driving my 2010 2500 CTD on that same hunt on the same roads and never had a flat. I have logged thousands of miles on mountain gravel roads with that truck and E rated tires on it and never had a flat. That's my 2 cents! Good luck with your move.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Thank you all for the responses. I should have clarified in my initial post that we DO NOT intend to do a lot of heavy or long distance towing after this trip (other than the occasional 4wheeler/snow machine).

I certainly agree the 2500 would be a more effortless tow over this distance, but was wondering if the 1500 ED would be worthy of the job. I know the 1500's ED engine has more than enough torque, but the published payload worries me a bit (I know this would be a huge advantage of opting for the 2500).

With that information in mind, what are your suggestions?
The 1500 will be fine. You're doing the trip once. Get a good hitch and take it easy. Buying a 3/4 ton for one trip and then being stuck with too much truck is ridiculous, especially since the half ton will handle it....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just a suggestion, drive the road in September because frost heaves are fixed, it is between rainy season and almost all the tourists are going the other way. Good luck sir and enjoy the drive, it is beautiful no mater what time of year you make it. I've done it 4 times now and the worst one was in mid June. Hopefully if you do get the ED you enjoy the hell out of it.

·
Registered
506 Posts

Thanks in advance!
Drew, I'm going to agree that a 1500 Ecodiesel will be fine on your trip, but my reason is different. I don't see how you could get 5-6,000 pounds of stuff in a 16 foot trailer. If you take all your appliances, dressers, beds, etc. etc and your rock collection you'll run out or room before you get that heavy. Which raises the question, is your trailer rated for that much weight?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Should be fine with just the trailer. I am just finishing up a round trip
From Anchorage to Montana. I have a lance 825 cabover and a 7X14 trailer.
Truck pulls and handles great. I am overnighting tonight in Tok and should be
Home by 3pm tomorrow. My total starting weiht was 12560 lbs. great trip.
Zero troubles. 5350 mi.

Houser

1 - 17 of 17 Posts